1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Vols

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Bob Alkire, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

What happen to the Vols? I didn't even turn it on because I didn't think it would be much of a game, Vols had way to much!!

2. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hated to see the Vols lose last night. However, the "prevent" defense did just that --- it "prevented" the Vols from winning. How in the world can the defense stop UCLA all night and then give up 2 touchdowns in the fourth quarter.

Bottom line, the Vols need to quit going out to the West Coast to start the season.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

UT has had success on the West Coast before. They have lost two straight openers in the Pacific Time Zone though.

Kudos to UCLA for changing their gameplan in the 2nd half. I applaud the way they put Peyton Manning in at QB and people thought it was the same guy they had in the first half :)

Seriously...how many times will Arian Foster fumble at critical moments? He doesn't fumble going in on that TD drive, you suddenly have UT with all the momentum in the world. Crompton looked lost all night but did have a couple of key drops. And when is Daniel Lincoln going to miss three of four FG attempts? That was the first blocked punt for TD in Fulmer's reign. Pitiful execution, a weak scheme on Defense on those last two drives (which UCLA's QB was 12 of 14, I believe). Hardesty looked good. Warren looked like a guy the NCAA just cleared (nice going, NCAA).

If UT goes back to the Pac 10 for openers, they need to take SEC officials. This year's game was worse than last year as far as the officiating. Memo to Pac Ten refs: you can't have OLs past the receiver past the line of scrimmage. My six month old knows that. However, that's not the reason the Vols lost. The Vols lost because they beat themselves and UCLA made the plays necessary to capitalize

It's going to be an interesting season. Tenn couldn't afford to lose the UCLA game. Of course, they lost at Cal last year and won the SEC East. So you never know. I'd like to hear my Vol brethren now who say Eric Ainge was so crummy and "just wait til Crompton" was their refrain. Nick Stephens is a better QB IMHO.

4. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I listen to sports radio here in Nashville all the time. On the afternoon drive-time show today, the host read several records of Phil Fulmer against coaches like Satan, Meyer, etc. It's not good, as in, under .500 not good.

Tom, would Fulmer be in trouble if the Vols don't do well this season?

5. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Haven't some of the Vol faithful wanted the head of Fulmer for the last few seasons?
    I watched the first half and after seeing UCLA throw 4 picks, i figured the game was in the bag and changed the channel. When i got a text from ESPN telling me they were going into OT i thought it was a mistake, so i caught the OT and i may have watched the end of a potentially good season before it really started.
    I like Fulmer, and i tend to like UT more than other SEC opponents...but i don't see this being a good year for them.

6. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I heard the same thing last year driving through Knoxville on a radio show. I don't know but his over all record looks good to me, and I'm not a Vol fan.

I give UT credit for going out and playing someone and not like our Gators and playing no one. I think UT is better than UCLA but I would rather lose to a BCS team than beat a smaller school.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

There are some coaches that Fulmer has a poorer record against. I think Fulmer is .500 against Richt and is 0-3 against Meyer. At the same time, he has some outstanding records against some of the elite as well. He never lost to Stallings He is on pace to beat out Gen Neyland and has eclipsed some of the SEC marks of the Bear. However, no question the Vols have slipped a bit. They have not won an SEC title since 1998. That's the longest span the Vols have gone under a single coach ever. Lost the last three trips to the SEC title game. Hasn't been to a BCS bowl this decade.

At the same time, Hamilton gave Fulmer a new contract that gives him an automatic extension if he wins at least...get this.....8 games in a season. Translation: Phil Fulmer will be our coach unless (1) He retires or (2) There's a meltdown. We'll take average at UT unless and until Fulmer says otherwise.

No question this year's team has some holes. Crompton is not as good as was touted and I've been saying that for three years. I'd give Nick Stephens the keys and let him either win or lose it for us. Crompton is physically talented but he doesn't have the brains to play (much like his tutor, Heath Shuler, who had more physical gifts). No proven RB that doesn't have a propensity to fumble (I can't fathom that Foster is going to end his career as UT's yards leader, passing some greats, yet all I can see is him coughing up the football and trudging through holes). DL that is not up to UT's standards. Holes at LB thanks to last year's draft. I know the secondary is one of the nation's best, but it got lit up like a Christmas tree courtesy of Norm Chow's adjustments in the second half. I say all that to say that while no one knows for sure what the rest of the SEC has, this is not the year for high expectations in Knoxville. That's why the UCLA game was a must win. While it's still concievable to win the SEC East and SEC, it's not likely at all. You may have just guaranteed yourself an 8 or 9 win season with that loss - at best.

The SEC is going to be interesting. Everyone has some holes/questions.

Hey Lou Holtz: after picking SC to win the SEC East, got any predictions on the Presidential race? :laugh:

8. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

With the contract extension given to Fulmer, the University of Tennessee has made a long-term commitment to being a second-tier SEC team.

Just look at his record vs. Saban, Richt, Spurrier, Miles, Meyer. The game has passed him by. [sic]

Oh well, I am a Vol fan, and will be regardless of how we play. I simply don't expect much from them as long as Fulmer is at the helm.

Regards,
    BiR

9. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

If the rumor mill of Fulmer's possible demise get's louder...who do you think will send a resume first: Saban or Petrino? Both are still considered interim coaches, right?

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Saban in Knoxville? Never. You don't coach the main enemy and then come to Tenn without some serious repentance first....if ever.

BiR has a point. That contract was pathetic. However, does anyone really question the fact that, if necessary, Hamilton could snap his fingers and have the $5 million fish for the buyout on his desk by the end of the day?

As far as his record against the good ones, I've made that point before that while Fulmer has never beaten Meyer, he also never lost to Stallings and is 5-3 vs Spurrier in their last 8 (I hate counting the infamous 2000 game in there). Hard to say the game passed Fulmer by since he won his division last year (and his bowl game against arguably the best team from the Big Ten). Some say UT backed into the East title. Sorry...UT blew out GA & ARK and had to win against them and SC, Vandy, and UK to clinch the East. All but one were bowl teams.

That said, if UT were to go 0-3 against the biggest rivals (Bama, FLA, GA in order of rivalry importance) this year, esp if they are drubbings, then the natives will be quite restless on ole Rocky Top.

Some are predicting that, if the Vols lose this weekend, there could be a crowd as small as 75-80,000 for Northern Illinois the following week. Ouch. When you can't draw a Spring Game crowd, you got problems.

BTW, one of my first questions to my friends who jump at saying "Fire Fulmer," is this: "Who would you get?" That's where the rub lies. There's no one out there that's a marquee name, although rumors fly that Bill Cowher and Jon Gruden would be interested (esp given the latter's connection to the University and area). But pro coaches don't transition well to the college game. For every one Pete Carroll there are more Dave Wannstedts, Mike Shermans, Mike Shulas, and Al Grohs.

11. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Agreed. Sports radio guy over here said before the Florida game that he thought Fulmer was in jeopardy only if UT got rolled. We see how that went.

Yes, but out of everybody you listed, Sherman was the only one who was a pro head coach and didn't suck. Wannstedt, in particular, was horrible. The Bears are still suffering from some of his blunders, looking at you Rick Mirer.

12. Baptist in Richmond

TomVols is right, and I would add tomorrow's game at Auburn as a potential coffin nail for Fulmer's career at Rocky Top.

That being said, I think it's going to be UGLY tomorrow.

Regards - have a great weekend,
    BiR

13. Baptist in Richmond

UGH! You got that right.
    For me, the UCLA game was indicative of the problems at UT. Notice that the defense was blitzing Crompton. They were essentially saying that they had no respect for Crompton's passing ability. That is a problem.

Regards,
    BiR

14. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

If they will pitch Mr. Vol of my life time, Johnny Majors, they will do away with anyone. Not being a fan of the Vols, I think Fulmer has earned a few years to get the Vols back on the right road.

15. Baptist in Richmond

HUH?
    How has Fulmer earned a few years to get the Vols back on the right road?

Fulmer has made the University of Tennessee's football team a second-tier SEC program. With that loss on Saturday, Auburn has beaten Tennessee in four of the last four meetings. Simply put:
    Meyer owns Fulmer.
    Spurrier owns Fulmer.
    Miles owns Fulmer.
    Saban owns Fulmer.
    Richt doesn't own Fulmer, but he is pretty close.

Now Tuberville owns Fulmer.

If one is okay with The Vols sitting in the second tier of the SEC, then I guess he/she is not upset. I am not upset, but the simple fact is that the Athletic Department has made a long-term commitment to him, and he is meeting expectations.

We are now 1-3, with Georgia and Alabama in October. Will a 5-loss record earn him more time?

As for Majors, the game had very clearly passed him by. I remember those years of having 3rd and 10, and trying to run it up the middle. Although they really handled his firing poorly, his game plan was obselete.

Regards,
    BiR

16. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I know this isn't going to sound right but I had always put the Vols and the Gators as 2nd tier in my life span. Steve Spurrier took the Gators over the top for a while and Fulmer did well. When I think of the SEC or it may be as a Florida guy I think of the Tide, Georgia, LSU and Auburn at the top and the rest of us trying to get there. Other schools have had there day Ky. when they had the Bear as their coach, Ms. for a while with Johnny V. and so on.

This is the same coach most Vols loved for the past so many years?

17. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

True. Why give him such a deal if all isn't well?

Down here many of us aren't happy with some of the players that are getting in trouble off the field. Winning is great, but if you have to go for the type of kid that is and has been getting into trouble with the law, winning isn't worth it. Things like breaking and entering an 18 year old should know it is wrong.

Then we have the fan who is for winning at all cost, if the kid can play his off field deals aren't that bad, all kids are doing it, right!

I see schools telling us they need more money, keeping poor professors and getting rid of coaches and paying off their deal and getting a new coach and paying him. For the record I like what WVa. did, made some one pay. I must get a dozen or more letters from UF a year asking for or showing where they need more money for such and such.

It use to be a rule of thumb, that a coach got 8 to 10 years for winning a national championship and about 3 to 5 for an SEC championship. I don't know because I don't follow the Vols, but how long has it been with Fulmer, I know he won the east last year?

Also I recall the Bear doing great, then a few lean years and then came back. Such as these years,

Alabama
    8–2–1
    5–1
    L Cotton Bowl
    Ranked # 7
    Alabama
    8–3
    4–2
    L Gator Bowl
    Ranked # 12
    Alabama
    6–5
    5–2
    3 – T
    L Liberty Bowl
    Alabama
    6–5–1
    6–2
    T Bluebonnet Bowl

He then came back and did well, I guess Al. is glad they gave him time to get the ship up right. Take a look at the bowl games, that is when they said Bear didn't eat his cornflakes in a bowl, he could handle it. Fan can be harsh.

18. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Fulmer and Meyer have identical records in the SEC over their last ten games. Think about that one for a second. Yet Fulmer is about to be crucified and Meyer is hailed as the fourth member of the Trinity.

There comes a time when the wheel turns and someone has to go. I don't know if that time is now for Fulmer or not. Honestly, anyone who thought this team could win more than 8 or 9 games was delusional. Too many holes, most notably, at QB. I know that some couldn't wait for Ainge to graduate so Crompton could take the field and kill all comers, but that's just bologna. Always was. Foster is a servicable back that can often get you beat. Hardesty has questions. WRs are good, but no playmakers. So then what do you have? Sounds like the recipie for an 8-4 team to me.

Now that Crompton and Stephens are competing for the starting job, we'll see what happens.

By the way, the reason Majors was thrown under the bus was for far more reasons than on the field play. The team was considered out of control. Majors was irking the fan base with his flippant attitude and name calling of fans, and he disdained the boosters publicly. He thought he was bigger than the program. He was taught his lesson. A lot of people still love Johnny and he has since moved back to the area. However, Fulmer was able to do what Johnny could not - control the boys off the field and win championships on the field.

19. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

As I've said the Vols aren't near the top of my look into sports, but for the past 3 or 4 years down here the papers has been making heavy remarks about UT players and their trouble off the field. Is that wrong. For the past 2 years they have been getting on Florida a good amount and we all know about FSU.

20. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Everyone has incidents. I know that there was a lot of media attention one year with X number of incidents. Strangely, during that same 12 month period the Vols had X number of incidents, Spurrier's Gamecocks had that same number...in a matter of six weeks. Yet, there was no outcry.