1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Vols

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Bob Alkire, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Very true, that was Spurriers first year at SC ( he did the same at Florida, I don't know if it was because he thinks kids are to go to class and stay out of trouble or that Florida was on probation) and he kicked all off team. Now on this Garcia kid he has given him another chance, his problem was underage drinking, I think Steve should have let him go like the rest. His need of a Qb. might be the problem with Garcia, of not cutting him loose, I'm all for winning but the correct way. Today very few of the Gators were cut loose or at the U or FSU players. We Floridians aren't in a position to throw stones at any school with the 3 we have and their problems over the years. I don't care what UT or any other school does, if it isn't right for them it does not give us a fair reason to do it. The Gatoris have had their problems that I know of going back to Richard Jose Casares, better know as Rick Casares in the 50's.

#21 Bob Alkire, Oct 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2008
  2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Fulmer is no lax disciplinarian. You haven't heard the name Brent Vinson being called on O or D because he hasn't gone to class. Britton Colquitt (last name ring a bell?) has been off the team and will be for another week or two for an alcohol related violation. Fulmer screamed bloody murder when the UT President Peterson forced the athletic dept to go to the UNiversity wide three strikes and you're out policy. You didn't get that many with Fulmer, Pearl, et.al. There;s a very long list of guys (Lynn Mcgruder, Onterrio Smith, James Banks, I could go on) that Fulmer kicked off the team but who landed at Oregon, Oklahoma, etc., and went on to play pro ball, but Fulmer wouldn't have their shenanigans.

3. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Tom, I'll take your word for it, but down here we get another picture. I hope the Vols are as clean as I want the Gators to be. As bad as it is getting down here the big thing in print is are we trying to catch up with the Vols. To tell the truth I don't really care about what the Vols do wrong but I do care about the Gators and some about FSU and a little about the Bulldogs. I want to win correctly and I think coaches and schools turn their head on to much.

Here is where I get another picture:
    http://www.fanblogs.com/tennessee/006486.php
    http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2008/05/12/

So much of this is called the Fulmer Cup, or that is what it is call down here when players get into trouble, and we are moving right up there.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

That Fulmer Cup thing cracks me up. It's a blog. It's not from any reputable news source. And the language leaves something to be desired. Even John Adams, Knoxville News Sentinel editor, referenced it and was called out by three columnists from his own paper.

I'm not surprised that people portray Fulmer in less than flattering lights. For one thing, he's been around an awfully long time. He's also done the unthinkable: cooperate with NCAA/SEC investigations against other teams. That's why Bruce Pearl is hated in basketball coaching circles. He's also spoken of his faith. When has that even endeared himself to anyone?

Does TN have more go on than should? Yes, every school does. But the Fulmer critics have to make some pretty logical gymnastic leaps to say he doesn't punish wrong-doers. The facts just don't gel with that sort of sophistry.

5. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Tom as I said all I know about that is somethings in the paper and ESPN radio, when I listen to it. I believe it was brought up a lot by Cowheard.
    It was a surprise when Fulmer pushed the U of the front page on messing up.

I know he isn't spoken of very well in Al. and coach Meyer seems as if he does not care for him. I know when asked when he coached the Gators and now at SC, Spurrier speaks highly of Fulmer. But I didn't know he wasn't spoken well of by most, except the Knoxville sports radio station that I pick up driving through Knoxville.

Now that will get one in trouble with the ones who aren't living by the rules but it also will have others watching you.

I didn't know Pearl was hated. Down here he gets good press. Some say he is a little crazy but a good coach. Billy speaks highly of Pearl and has said he is one of if not the best coach in the SEC and a great recruiter. As far as his faith glad to hear it. That is why I've always liked Bobby Bowden, Mark Richt and Steve Spurrier to name a few.

Now that I'll agree with, but I want the Gators to clean up more than anyone else. As far as every school, I don't care that much about every school, I care first for my schools and if the others want to come along, great.

Our papers do get on the Vols, FSU, the U and the Gators a good bit, but as of now it is the Vols in first place with the Gators trying to pass you folks.

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Papers will always have biases and will never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Pearl was practicaly shunned by coaches when he was an assistant at Iowa over the recruiting shenaningans of Illinois and Lou Henson. It's very widely known. I'm surprised you haven't heard it.

Fulmer and Spurrier do get along well. I don't know too many coaches who don't get along well with Spurrier. The state of Alabama hates him for obvious reasons. People in Fla do too, again, for obvious reasons.

7. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Tom, I might be miss reading you here. Steve is still loved by most down here. People in SC don't understand the amount of time he spends with our AD at Fl.(or the AD at Duke, but he got them to go after David and look at the job he is doing), but they are friends. Now on that one day a year, he isn't until the game is over. Last year at the number circle deal the fans went crazy when he came out. I would say he is still our number one former player and former coach.

I don't know how well Meyer thinks of him, but Steve speaks well of him.

But the fan love it that he has left his Heisman Trophy there, but if I recall correctly, it has been there at the shool from the time he won it.

8. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

How are the fan with Fulmer after the game last night with the Tide?

9. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

The Illini faithful hate him and will never forgive him. I guarantee that Illinois fans had a little party when the Vols lost to the Tarheels in the NCAA Tourney.

I'm sure Vols fans will be calling for Fulmer's head after the Bama loss.

#29 ccrobinson, Oct 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2008
  10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

There are divisions.

First, you have the folks who say Fulmer's a man who's a strong recruiter, a man who has won 150 of his 200 games, and who has two SEC titles and a National Title. He has played for one more national title and was one game away from playing for a third. He has owned our archrival, Alabama. He won two divisonal titles in four years. He dominated some of the great coaches in the league. 7-2 in bowls through 2001.

That said, others point to the fact that no coach has gone longer without a conference title at Tennessee. He is 30-20 in his last fifty games. He is .500 in his last thirty conference games. This decade, he has only defeated one top ten team at home. Since 2002, only two bowl wins. Back to back losses to Bama. Last time a coach did that, he was fired.

The most vocal contingent is the latter. The season must play out. If the Vols look good the rest of the way and the donors stay on board, Fulmer is likely safe provided there's a scapegoat (Dave Clawson). One more loss means the best you can do is .500. I just don't think Fulmer, who is Mr. Tennessee football, can overcome that.

The problem is, who do you get? Mike Hamilton likes the midmajor guys who have promise, but there are drawbacks there. That would be a step back. Either we get a top-notch guy or I say we stay the course. Remember that Nebraska has never been the same since making a change. Neither has Colorado. Bama kissed quite a few frogs. Georgia floundered after a change. Notre Dame has fallen off the map. Oklahoma was a joke between Switzer and Stoops. So changes can backfire in a big way. It's either handled right or you take major steps backwards.

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Must have been a lonely party. :thumbs: We haven't lost to NC since 2000 in the tourney and that was when Jerry (K-Mart) Green was coach.

Amazing, isn't it? UT has a football coach and a basketball coach that have developed reputations for being willing to blow the whistle on improprieties.

12. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Who did Tennessee lose to in the NCAA last March? Thought it was UNC.

13. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I was watching the SC, Vol game last night with a Vol fan and alum. He said Fulmer had to go. He also said last night that Fulmer got the job by putting a knife in Majors back. I also read that this morning on the ESPN conversation link.

I don't recall hearing that over the past 18 years. I don't think Fulmer is a great coach but he is very good at picking coaches and recruiting. I believe it hurt Fulmer to lose David Cutcliffe to Duke as it did when he went to Mississippi.

I think Spurrier which Fulmer's team played against Spurrier's team last night is a better coach and Spurrier is more hard headed than Fulmer, but I don't believe Spurrier is as good a recruiter. Recruting is one thing the Fl. fans believed that Spurrier was lacking in.

Will Fulmer make it through this or is he out?

14. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Louisville, who in turn lost to UNC. UT did lose to NC in 2000 in the Sweet 16.
    Huge bromide that has made the rounds round Knoxville since 1992. Majors actually went on a local TV station with so-called proof that this happened. It was the phone records from Fulmer's house and office that showed conversations with a UT booster. The booster was a loan officer who was doing the financing for Fulmer's house, and the half a dozen phone calls totaled no more than 15 minutes, with one or two being one minute phone calls. When Fulmer asked how Johnny got his private phone records, Majors decided to drop it (must have been one of Johnny's rare sober moments) and that was that, save for the Phil haters and Bama fans who regularly throw this junk around.

I find this a curious argument. Isn't picking your staff and recruiting part of coaching?
    Well, hard to say. UT had great success with Cut there, but there was some success without him. Cut didn't coach in the National championship game, and without him, UT won or shared, what, three or four more SEC titles? True that they haven't won one without him. Remember that Cutcliffe was villified by the local fan base and the cries of "Good Riddance" were heard all round when he left for both Ole Miss and Duke. Of course, these same people wanted him back to save us from Randy Sanders and now to save us from Fulmer himself. We have a very spoiled fan base at times.

Fulmer has a beter record. Spurrier and Fulmer both have a NC, but Spurrier's came pre-BCS. Post BCS, the Gators would not have even been playing for one. And Spurrier never went undefeated in a season. That said, Spurrier has plenty of positives. I have known Danny Wuerffuel (never spell his name right) for a while and his insight into Spurrier is insightful. He is credited with a lot of genius-ness that may not be rightfullly Spurrier's, and I'll leave it at that.
    He has a couple of things going for him. 1) He's not a drunken mad-man that is infuriating the fan base and donor base. 2) He is assembling a top 5 recruiting class. That said, you cannot lose to Bama in back to back years while compiling (at best) a .500 record. IMHO, and in conversations I am having with other donors who are far more priviliged than I in terms of access and so forth, I believe Hamilton has made a decision to make a decision. Expect an announcement to come soon. There's a very simple reason: Hamilton is an accountant by trade. He looks at the numbers. When you only have 90-95,000 fans show up for a game, something has to give. You may see only 80,000 this Sat for Wyoming, even though it's homecoming.
    This is re: Spurrier's Heisman trophy. He did give one to UF but had the Heisman people make him one that he keeps with him. That is now the norm.

15. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Picking your staff is part of it as recruiting is but I was talking about x's and o's. Spurrier was great on the o side but not much on the d side.

I know what you are talking about, the fans. But most of the coaches I know and one's I read in papers all think he was great. It's like when the Bear was at Al. many fans ( not most of the Tides fans) said he wasn't that great, but from Ray Graves to Bobby Dodd thought he was a master mind and great at getting the most out of his players.

Down here in the papers and sports radio it came out last week that UT has hired a company to start a search. As I've said I'm not a UT fan but a coach who has as good a winning percentage as he, I would find it hard to get rid of. FSU is in the same boat with Bobby, many have been wanting him out over there. I had hoped that they would give him more time, I pull against him when they play the Gators and now SC, but I've always enjoy him.

You are correct as far as you go. UF has the first one which he gave to the school president. Later they made him another one that is in his office at SC, and now due to that the school and the player gets one. But his first one did go to UF and he didn't know or expect that he would get another.

I've seen how schools run coaches out, thinking the next one will be the great one and after years they talk about how great the one was they got rid of.

I wish Fulmer the best, as I said he was and is a class act.

16. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I'm sorry to hear of Fulmer being turned loose, but a 6 million dollar buy out isn't bad either, if the reports we get down here are correct.
    I will say in this matter Coach Fulmer way out classed the school(UT) but this is from an outsider.

But when schools will pay a head coach more than most business owners make in town, I guess this is what one get.

I guess the reason I hate to see this type of thing is we expect more out of others than self. Most of us push for the same thing but not on us at our job or business.

As one writer said down here, we divorce our spouse, try to get our coach fired, sue our doctors and run the pastor our of town, it all about me and what I want right now, what a wonderful world.