1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Volunteering to Fight ISIS as Church-Funded Labor?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Steven Yeadon, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was floored tonight when I watched the new History channel show "Hunting ISIS." A situation shown tonight was of an American volunteer with the Iraqi Government and Syrian militias raising money to go off and fight ISIS through churches. This is apparently not unheard of after some internet research. Their religious work was considered doing things such as passing out Christian literature in recently liberated areas or just fighting to defend persecuted Christians. Conceivably I bet they could even serve as armed missionaries to military units and civilians.

I wonder what to make of this. Is it unconscionable to fund something equivalent to a Templar with personal donations or even church donations? As long as it is a legal way of doing things of course.

The legality of this is up in the air, since it is illegal to fight against US or British interests or allies. Not a problem at first glance,but in the US it is illegal to be recruited into a foreign military, but it is legal to be a "volunteer" from 19th century case law.

Is It Legal to Go Overseas to Fight ISIS?

Here is an interesting article from Christianity Today for those that can read it, I only have limited viewing.

Onward 'Christian Soldiers': First American Volunteer Dies Fighting ISIS

So I turn it over to the BB. What are we to make of this new phenomenon?

#1 Steven Yeadon, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  2. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Coming from a Southerner, the way I see it, God told all us men to protect our families.

Our families are targets of the Allah Akbar Boom Boom Squad, right now, as I type this, because these terrorists export their terror around the world, to every country. So you and I are at war, physically, with this group, whether we like it or not.

Therefore, 1 dead Allah Akbar Boom Boom Squad member = 20 less civilians dead (Among which could be our family)

I wouldn't be happy about killing them, as they're lost folks, and when they die they go to Hell. However, it's either my family or them, and my family will win out every time.

Now then, would I pay somebody to do this? Sure, why not? We pay our military to do the same thing [I.E protect our families], except the military don't spread the Gospel.

3. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does anyone know how missionary organizations such as the IMB treat missionaries arming themselves? What are the pros and cons of that?

4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The governing factor is not the pros and cons. It is the law of the country in which they are serving.

• Informative Informative x 2