1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Voting in a church business meeting

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most business in a Baptist church meeting is routine. A simple vocal yea or nay is sufficient.

However, there times that a secret ballot should be utilized.

What would be the standard?
    If one person requests a secret ballot, should that request be granted?

Thoughts

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

The members should take a vote on whether the request will be granted.

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Actually, Brother Tom, I have heard rumors that you and Brother SN can't both vote at the same time. Apparently it has something to do with a canary and a parrot. I heard that if both of you are desirious of voting, they allow you two to "rock, paper, scissors" and the winner votes, and the loser doesn't. :D :)

4. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

The only time in the ORBs that we have any type of secrot balloting is when the electing of officers for the next year. At my home church, we just get a motion and second to keep it the same. It's going pretty smooth, and no need to upset the applecart.

5. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We rarely do a secret ballot except when we vote to choose new deacons or on an issue that has caused some dissension. But if there is dissension within the church over an issue (this has happened 2 times in 15 years here), we usually table the motion until there is some kind of agreement. We are considering purchasing property, we will probably make that a secret ballot if it comes to a vote.

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Rats, we've been found out! Actually, we arm-wrestle for the privilege of voting. I don't get to vote very much.

7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Our church used the secret ballot to choose a pastor search committee.

And we've always used it to elect deacons.

8. glazer1972

glazer1972 Member

It would really be up to the president/moderator of the meeting to decide how the vote is to be taken.

9. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is usually true.

Well, if we refer to the luminary insights of Roberts Rules of Order we see in the voting sections that:

1. The method of vote is usually determined by the moderator.

2. Unless the bylaws, constitution, or standing rules adopted by the body require a ballot vote (all ballot votes are, by nature, secret)

3. Or, if a recognized member of the body stands and calls the voice or hand vote in question by stating "Division" or calling for "a division of votes."

4. Then the moderator appoints at least two-tellers who distribute and then collect the ballots.

So, with that display of nerd bravado finished...I call for the second question on the previous amendment of the call of the house. :BangHead: :laugh:

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salty, if a member requests a vote be done by ballot, it is up to the assembly, not the moderator, to decide.

http://www.rulesonline.com/rror-08.htm

Also:

11. pk4life

pk4life Member

I would say use a secret ballot for everything.

My father would run the business meetings, and right before everyone voted vocally, he would say something to the effect of

"Isn't this great? We've never had anything voted down in the "x" years I've been here. I just love how together we all are."

Right after that, everyone would vote yay, nobody dared to vote nay, and whatever it was would go through just as he wanted.

All that togetherness in business meetings resulted in gossip and hard feelings afterward.

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    At our English Speaking church in Germany we had invited a missionary to speak at our church. He was a German born - naturalized American - and had come back as a missionary to the Germans.
    We had considered supporting him under our missionary budget. In a business meeting a motion was made to that effect. The brand new pastor informed the congregation that this missionary did not use the King James Version. As we went to vote - I saw many people looking around to see how others were voting. How I wished we had a secret ballot for that vote.

Just to clarify - when the missionary preached a the church - he did not use the KJV- @ the time our church had no stand on the KJV.