1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Waiting For God's Will

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by gekko, May 31, 2006.

1. gekko

gekko New Member

Hello everybody.

i thought i would start this thread - reason being because it grieves my soul/heart - because i believe it grieves the Spirit. wanted to know your opinions on the matter.

here is the matter:

professing christians who go around asking God if it is his will if they should go help the homeless in downtown L.A. or downtown anywhere.
    professing christians who go around asking God if it is his will if they should go on a missions trip
    professing christians who go around asking God if it is his will if they should start a youth group.
    professing christians who go around asking God if it is his will if they should help out being a counsellor at a christian summer camp that needs more counsellors.
    professing christians who go around asking God if it is his will if they should go out and witness today.

those kind of situations. there are lots more. i havn't the time to type them all out - neither the brain capacity - i'd rather fill my brain with the things of God.

now - my question is this: does this make you sick? or do you agree with this?
    i've heard alot of this "oh but God might want them somewhere else though..."

mmhmm... ok. so then why was the position (talking about the counsellor situation) brought up in the first place?

i believe - that if someone wants to do something that is going to further the gospel - that God will not stop them. if you want to do something that will further the gospel - DO IT! God is not going to stop you. if God wants you elsewhere - he will most assuredly show you without a doubt - and you will know without a doubt that it is God speaking.

so. in conclusion to what i've said: why do christians wait to see what God's will is if what they want to do is going to further the gospel? why do christians complain when they do stuff that does not further the gospel - and then God has them do something else? why do christians sit and wait to hear from God? why?

2. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Gekko,

There are certainly Christians that abuse the waiting on God's will thing. I certainly pray that I'm not one of those!

However, I think there is a lot of validity in waiting on God's will.

These folks certainly needed to wait on God instead of just doing things:
    "Many will say to Me on that day, `Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?'

Again we need to be sensitive to the leading of the Holy Spirit.

Maybe these folks aren't really gifted to be counselors? There are just a lot of factors that factor in.

I know a guy at a church where we used to attend that will readily admit that he is not gifted as a teacher, but volunteered to teach a youth SS class because there was a need. I don't think that is a great situation to be in for his walk, nor the walk of those youth.

We need to find our giftings through the Spirit and prayer and then we need to be sensitive to when and where we are supposed to use them and not get ahead of God.

I think a lot of Christians are going to be surprised on that day when their works are tried. There are going to be a lot of "Godly" works that burn up because they weren't actually what God wanted from that person.

Hope that makes sense.

3. gekko

gekko New Member

yeah...

i've heard alot of people and stories of people saying "im 70 yrs. old - and i havn't led a single soul to Christ"

what worries me is waiting too long to further the gospel - if you want to do something that will further the gospel - and you know that your spiritual gifts will help further that - even if they dont - they will learn - then do it! if God will have you do something else - you're always going to be in prayer - then God will let you know...

but if we wait too long - that's what gets me...

4. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Gekko,
    I think it does play a role wether God wants you to do something or not. Blind actionism doesn't help. Trying to evangelize a person out of your own strength with arguments is senseless this is why I won't simply debate about God anymore. I will only do it if I feel like God is creation an opportunity.
    Because if you debate and debate and debate without seeing results you get frustrated.
    But of course there are also questions which are really dumb where you don't have to ask God. For example wether you should pray for a person or not.