1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Waitresses and their tips

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Salty, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was implying that they dont pay tax on those benefits.

Actually, I dont think a waitress should have to pay taxes on tips!

2. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

To be honest, I don't know if taxes are paid on those benefits or not. I know that taxes are not paid on any money made while deployed. In either case, I see the point you are making.

I think that the way servers are taxed now is fine. Honestly, if someone is making less than 8% sales in tips, then they need to go find a new job. I went out to a Steak 'N' Shake Saturday afternoon and spent $23(ish) on my meals (kids eat free on Saturdays). If I only tipped 8%, that'd be only be $1.84 I'd tip her for a table of five. I'd have to be some kind of lowlife scumbag to do that to her.

Here's a viewpoint that people don't often see: when you are sitting down at a table at a restaurant, you are basically "renting" that spot. But you get to choose how much "rent" you pay. During busy times, servers only get a section of 3-4 tables. During slow times, the sections get bigger and the amount of servers on duty gets lower. But, if you are sitting there and wasting time, you are taking one of the server's tables that could be used to make money.

That's why I hated it when someone would come in and order something small, spend only about $4-5, tip about $1, but take the table for an hour or more just to read a book or sit there through a lunch break. Especially if they are sitting at a table meant for more people. That means that with my server's wage ($2.13/hr) divided by my 4 tables plus his tip, I only made $1.50/hr off that table during the time they were there. If my whole section did that, I'd only be making $6/hr. I wish people would keep that in mind next time they are in a restaurant getting served. Tip your server well; you're taking up space where someone else could be tipping better. Don't make your server wish you had sat in someone else's section.

#22 Sapper Woody, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2013
  3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In E-5 in the States makes per month
    Basic Pay.... 2,947 (taxable)
    Rations..........325 (not taxable)
    Housing......1,347 ( not taxable)

Total.........4,619
    Tax Adv 273

RMC 4,892

Keep in mind that a GI get 100% free medical care, no co-pay on drugs - lower prices in the PX and Comissary &a multuide of other fringe benfits.

Note: most pay other than basic is tax exempt. One major execption would be a relistment bonus. Say a man recieves a re-up of Ten Grand - he will pay income tax (but not SS) on that amount, unless as Sapper said - if he is in a combat zone. That is a main reason that there are many re-ups in a combat zone.

Now, I believe we need to properly support our military personel. But by no means are they poor.

But I still contend that a waitress should NOT have to pay taxes on tips.