1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wake Up America! Don’t Let Activist Atheists Rewrite History

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Dec 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ..........Wake up America! If we allow these activists to re-write history, they will. They will deny the faith of our fathers and offer blasphemous interpretations of our Constitution. They will start with their own version of the separation of church and state, then move on to whitewashing the public square to rid it of all religious expression, and finally arrive at an atheistic indoctrination of our children...........

More Here

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I don't see the problem. It is a state capitol that belongs to everyone, theist & nontheist alike. Now if Mr. Barker's group was wanting to forcibly put up his sign on a church's property, that is another matter altogether. Agree with him or not, both Christians and atheists should have access to their state capitol if an area for public displays is allowed. It's called the marketplace of ideas, and it has worked pretty well for us all. If minority opinion is censored, who is to say what is next to be banned?

3. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why did I know you would be the first to respond. ( Not intended to be an insult or sarcasm)

4. Magnetic Poles

Then why not stick to the topic in your OP rather than trying to derail and make me the topic? Not trying to be insulting either...just wondering? Was that comment necessary?

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ooh! someone s a little sensitive.

6. Magnetic Poles

Not at all...just wanting you to stick to the interesting topic you started. It is a good one. Let's debate that, not when I might post. :rolleyes:

7. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not worried about it at all. The gospel can compete in the marketplace of ideas... But better yet, let's not leave it as an idea.

Atheism does not stand in the face of a vibrant, loving community of Christians who love and serve their neighbors.

8. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I have yet to find a community like that. In fact, I have yet to find one where all those claiming to be Christians even get along.

9. Magnetic Poles

I agree. It is a shame that some Christians (including many pastors) feel the gospel of Christ is so impotent that other ideas must be suppressed for Christianity to compete for the hearts & minds of men & women. And isn't God not able to draw people to himself as he wills?

#9 Magnetic Poles, Dec 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2008
  10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

So who are these people? The op is about atheists rewriting history.

11. Magnetic Poles

Let's see if we can find you ONE example. Oh yeah...in the OP...
    There you go...an example of someone wanting to suppress the opinions of those who are not Christians. Not the words used..."If we allow". The alternative is to not allow. If you don't allow it, wouldn't you say that is suppressing it?

First you want to talk about WHEN I post, then you can't remember your own words. I am ALMOST embarrased for you, Mitch. :laugh: Can't seem to talk about your own topic? Guess I touched a nerve. I wasn't going to point out this particular example, but there you go!

#11 Magnetic Poles, Dec 6, 2008
  12. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hate to hear that. Over the years I have been fortunate to be part of three congregations like that... in fact, I'm in one now.

But I also have plenty of experience with the other. :tear:

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those words are not an attempt to suppress anything. Your characterization is childish and unnecessary. You need to be embarrassed for yourself.

Not sure what lead you to believe you touched a nerve. Most likely you are just making a poor attempt to be inflamatory without foundation. Add to that history is not open to interpretation or opinion. Facts are facts.

#13 Revmitchell, Dec 6, 2008
  14. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I believe that there should be an equal expression of ideas, yet for the most part, Christian expression is rarely given equal time in the public arena of ideas. Plus this plaque shouldn't be offensive to any that believes in a Loving, Living God. They are fools and the Bible says they are.

I would like to know why it bothers any that call themselves atheist to have a Christmas Tree or Manger Scene. If there is no God and they really believe it then just laugh and move along and let the fools revel in their frivolity. Instead they fan the flames because they are actually pricked in their hearts.

Psalm 14
    TO THE CHIEF MUSICIAN, A PSALM OF DAVID.
    1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
    2 The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God.
    3 They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one.
    4 Have all the workers of iniquity no knowledge? who eat up my people as they eat bread, and call not upon the LORD.
    5 There were they in great fear: for God is in the generation of the righteous.
    6 Ye have shamed the counsel of the poor, because the LORD is his refuge.
    7 Oh that the salvation of Israel were come out of Zion! when the LORD bringeth back the captivity of his people, Jacob shall rejoice, and Israel shall be glad.

15. ray Marshall

ray Marshall New Member

The thing that is very oppressing about being an atheist is when you are laid in that coffin, you are, "all dressed up and nowhere to go."

16. Magnetic Poles

I am not an atheist, but let me play ... devil's advocate ... if you will.

I don't think they object to Christmas displays in general...just on the public property, since it belongs to all, and can be construed as a violation of the First Amendment establishment clause. Now that point can be debated, but that is the issue. I have never heard of the FFRF, American Atheists, Americans United, or any other group protesting a nativity on a church lawn for example.

Secondly, I think they are making a point that if the state allows Christian displays, then they are entitled to a non-Christian display as well. I doubt they would do this if the State House didn't have the Christmas one up. It is really a counter protest. If the thing being protested didn't exist, neither would the counter.

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Because there really is no such thing as an atheist.

Rom 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified [him] not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

As you say, they are pricked in their hearts.

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

There are atheists who are passive. There are atheists who are active. There are passive Christians. There are active Christians. There are Christians who have a conservative theology who live like practical atheists.

The world is changed by Christians living like real Christians not by political action groups just making noise.

19. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Atheism is the most hypocritical way of life ever. If they believe there is no God they should have no need to defend their (dare I say) faith.

20. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

By that time that person will have gone to hell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.