1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Walk to Emmaus

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by North Carolina Tentmaker, Jan 30, 2007.

1. North Carolina Tentmaker

Is anyone here familiar with the Walk to Emmaus program? I am scheduled to go next month. What should I expect?

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

I am. The first night you feel like you want to go home. But remember it gets better. If you know too much it spoils some of the surprises. You have some great worship experiences, your there without the rest of your usual world stressing you out focusing on Jesus, but the feeling wears off after a day or so at home back to your usual life.

3. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

I've been, and have helped on several subsequent walks.

Expect great teaching, lots of good food, great fellowship, and a mountaintop experience.

De Colores!

4. glenn316

glenn316 New Member

Well, I have been on a similar weekend called Koinonia, but it shares some of the same elements as the walk to Emmaus, and the catholic Cursillo weekends. All are designed to encourage believers toward a closer walk with Christ. Should you be worried that it will be a dry bunch of lectures, don't be!
    There are lots of group activities with the members of your table, there's singing, chapel time, and did I mention fun and singing?

5. North Carolina Tentmaker

Wow, Wow, what can I say.

To everyone who read this post and just smiled cause you knew what was about to happen to me, thank you. Thank you because I know you also prayed.

I have been to many retreats, studies, camp meeting, revivals and seminars. I have felt God’s spirit and presence before. But never in my life have I been wrapped in the arms of Christ and felt the love of God like this.

I thought no one would give me details because it was some kind of big secret. Now my eyes are opened and I understand. You could have given me every detail but I still would have never understood. How do you explain a statement like, “Well, Jesus showed up.”

To anyone who reads this and does not understand, if you ever have a chance to go, please go. If you want to see the face of Christ, go.

De Colores! It is still getting better.

6. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

7. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

yep, you've been to Emmaus alright. Saturday night really tore me up. Out of charcter for me is the fact that Saturday night there always at least one loud one, cry uncontrollably, that was me

9. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Yes, it is. It's an outgrowth of the Catholic church's Cursillio movement, and is related to Tres Dias, Kairos, and Chrysalis, to name a few.

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

Thats it. But,,, it isn't run by the methodist church. The leaders are different at each walk, becasue they are volunteers, there are always several pastors, methodist, baptist, etc,

11. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

Is there any particular reason that husbands and wives can't attend together?

12. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

I understand why the pro Catholic Tragic_Pizza would be supportive of this program, but why are Baptists walking together with a program that is admittedly ecumenical?

And if this is true...

...then who do your local assemblies say the following is?

"5And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.

6And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration." - Revelation 17:5-6

13. North Carolina Tentmaker

RockRambler, it just would not work with husbands and wives together. There are some things you just can’t say or do in a room that includes women. There are some things you can’t confess in front of your wife. In my case in particular it just would not have worked. It is about you and God alone, everyone else was a stranger to me or at best someone I had seen before but never really known.

Rufus, yes it includes members of many different denominations but it has nothing to do with any particular church. There were men there at many different points of their life with Christ. We had new Christians who had been saved less than a year, and a full time preacher with over 40 years in the ministry. They may not all be as enlightened and separated as you brother, but they are all children of God.

Rufus there was a time I would have agreed with you. I was so separated I stopped speaking to my myself for years. I was wrong. I think most of the men on my walk were Baptist, but you know there were men there who shared of themselves and blessed my soul and I could not tell you where they went to church. But I know they are saved men and I know God used them to speak to me. Don’t box God in Rufus, let him be God.

14. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Who's the mother of Harlots?

15. North Carolina Tentmaker

I don't know brother. I think I know who you think it is, but I am not really worried about that right now.

God gave me a blessing and frankly I am so busy enjoying it right now I am not worried about wether or not the people that He used to bless me were wearing wire rimmed glasses or two tone shoes.

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

Only becasue they keep sexes seperated. I knw when I went we were in a mountain cabin, I was in alrge room with a lots of beds. No way husbands and wives can go like that. You do not get private rooms, like a hotel or anything.

17. donnA

donnA Active Member

I take it you went this past weekend didn't you? Let me warn you, it wears off.

18. North Carolina Tentmaker

Yes I noticed that donnA. I will hold on to it as long as I can. I do hope that when the "feeling" wears off there are still real changes to my life. We all need renewal from time to time and that renewing does wear out but you have no idea how cold I had grown. I know there will come a time in my life when I will again be in need of revival, but like I said before, right now I am still enjoying the blessing.

19. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

Just a personal preference, but I'll wait until they arrange it where married couples can go together. One reason I denounce Freemasonry was because it was something I could not share with my wife. I'm not going to start going to 3 day conferences that I can't be with and share with my wife.

Not saying its wrong for anyone else, just my feelings on it.

20. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Ah but you do share it with your wife. You go one weekend and she goes the next. Since you will have already been you can go in for some of the surprises mentioned above while your wife is there. Then you can go to the final Chapel service and pick your wife up and take her home. Then you two will get to share all of your experiences together. The hard part for the husband is keeping his mouth closed until his wife goes so that he does not spoil the surprise for her.