1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Walk to Emmaus

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by North Carolina Tentmaker, Jan 30, 2007.

1. North Carolina Tentmaker

OK, I know that I am still high on the mountain and have yet to settle back into actually living in a fallen world, please excuse my youthful-like enthusiasm, but . . .

RockRambler you can share it with your wife. You just can’t go on the same pilgrim walk. Once you go as a pilgrim you can return as a servant and work on other walks. If you go first then you can come back on her walk. You won’t be with her all the time, you won’t be with the pilgrims during their study but you can work in the kitchen, serve her meals, clean her room, do her laundry, there are many different ways you can support her during her walk and then once you have both been you can work together on walks after that. This is not something that will keep you from your wife, it will bring you closer together. I can’t wait to share in my wife’s walk. I don’t know when she will go or even if she will go but if she does I will definitely be there. She may not see me, but I will be there.

I wish I could share my experience with everyone on this board but I can’t put it into words. If I could you would not understand and if you go someday your experience may be very different from mine.

Like donnA mentioned you do sleep in shared quarters. Ours were more like dormitory rooms with up to 5 men in a room. But you don’t sleep much either. I can’t tell you how much we slept because we left the world behind. When you get there you give up your cell phone (or blackberry or whatever). You give up your watch and your wallet. For 3 days and 3 nights you don’t care what time it is, you operate on God’s time. Obviously the servants and leaders know what time it is and keep us on schedule but never as a pilgrim do you have care what time it is. Of course we had some pilgrims that had to take medication on a time schedule and special servants brought them their medication on schedule so they had a pretty good idea what time it was and we could see the sun go up and down but the thing is we did not have care what time it was or worry about how long until this or that. It was liberating.

I have been to lots of conferences. This was no conference.

2. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

Let me guess...let me guess...buzzz...buzzz...buzzz...is my buzzer working Alex?...What is both pagan Rome and apostate Jerusalem?

Since both were during John's writing of Revelation and both committed spiritual fornication and led other nations to do so, formed unholy political alliances with other nations, and persecuted Christians and encouraged other nations to do so.

...but let me guess...the almighty infalliable "historian" pope dave hunt XXIII says...:laugh:

3. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

Glad you enjoyed. I'll just wait until someone comes up with a couple's weekend walk.

4. bound

bound New Member

Peace North Carolina Tentmaker,

Sounds like you've had a wonderful experience with this "Walk to Emmaus" retreat. I think that is simply great! More power to you!

Peace and God Bless.

5. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

You really need to learn to breathe.

6. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Dude, go back and work one as soon as you can. If you think being a pilgrim is awesome, wait until you're on the other side!

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

tp, i always wanted to work one, but my health has gone down a lot since then, and ours was on an actual mountain, and the building well spaced, too much strenous walking for me. i always knew i was missing soemthing not going back.

8. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Breathing is not a learned behavior.

9. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

I have to confess that we've got it pretty good in our community. Hotel-style accomodations and covered walkways.

Maybe there's another commuity nearby that isn't on a mountian?

10. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Then why are you hyperventilating everytime someone mentions Catholicism? One would get the feeling you worship a hatred of the RCC rather than worshipping the risen Christ. I know that isn't so, but, dude, come on. Relax.

11. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

I have not hyper-ventilated nor come near it. I read the Holy Bible and according to the Bible the RCC is the whore of Revelation 17. A whore is a deep ditch and I see many brothers falling to her, so I try to remind them of who she is. Most keep walking towards her because she makes them feel good and while I weep for them, I can relax as I've done my duty as a watchman.

12. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Exactly wrong, rufus. Or, almost exactly wrong. There's no doubt that the Whore of Babylon is Rome, but it's the Rome of either the mid- or late-first-century AD. In other words, the Rome of either Nero or Domitian, who brought horrible persecutions upon Christians.

You need to purchase a dictionary.
    You're doing it wrong.

13. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

You need to purchase a Bible.

"For a whore is a deep ditch; and a strange woman is a narrow pit." - Proverbs 23:27

14. North Carolina Tentmaker

I can't wait. We have a ladies walk coming up in a month. Also my teen age son wants to go. From what I have heard I can't wait to see that. Our community uses a place less than an hour from my home so I hope I can return often. Of course I have followup and reunion next week. (did I mention it gets better?)

Rufus, I understand where you are coming from and respect your opinion. I realize you are sharing with us warnings of what you see as a very real danger. I disagree with you and would love to discuss it (in a Christian spirit of course), but this is my thread, please stay on topic. I am not about to become Catholic, Methodist, or even change Baptist Churches. This experience will make me a better minister where I am. If you are worried that the Emmaus program will somehow turn good Baptists into Catholics don't be. I would love to explain more but I really don't think you would understand.

15. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

That all you got? Give up.

16. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Indeed it does. I had more of a blessing the first time I sponsored than when I went on my own walk. Well, almost.

Absolutely true.

17. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Aaaah, that would be the "Over Your Head Ad Hominem Variant" that I learned from the "conversational terrorism" post...

I can't speak intelligently about this program, except for what I've read here and on the Emmaus website so maybe it is over my head. However, no one is denying that it is an ecumenical Catholic off-shoot of a program. You can say that you you're not becoming Catholic but notice that two Catholics are supporting your decision here and just one Baptist that is questioning what's going on. However, even though I thought I was on-topic, I will respect your request and leave you alone about this feel-good ecumenical experience.

18. North Carolina Tentmaker

Thanks Rufus, for what it is worth I do appreciate very much the fact that although you don’t know me from Adam you still care enough about my soul to warn me about what you see as a very real danger. I do think you are reaching out to me in love and concern, thank you very much.

I am sorry I really don’t know what you mean by
    I don’t mean to insult your background, intelligence, or whatever. I just meant that you were not there on my walk, you don’t know me, and you don’t know what God has done in my heart. You may know more about the program than I do, I just meant you don’t know me and I can’t really put in to words everything that has happened to me in the last few days. Not because you lack understanding, but because I lack the ability to explain.

OK, I am starting to float down a little bit from this spiritual high and there is one thing I want to put out there for the rest of you. This “walk to Emmaus” program was something God used to bless me, but the source of my renewal was not a program but God himself. I certainly don’t want to elevate the program and put it higher than the God that used it to speak to me.

Emmaus is not the only way to revive your soul when you need to draw closer to God. It may not even be the best program and as Rufus believes there could be some dangers involved. Jesus Christ spoke to me this last weekend, not any program or denomination, or individual minister or church. I pray that he speaks to each of you in just as meaningful a way. I fussed at Rufus earlier not to put God in a box. I don’t need to put him in an “Emmaus” box either. May God speak to you however he sees fit.

19. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Right on, NCM. Emmaus is a tool. It's a lot of fun, and you'll have some great opportunities for service and fellowship, but it isn't infallible. Only God is perfect.

20. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Alright, no offense taken and I appreciate your kind words. While you may not be able to completely explain the experience, can you give me a general idea of what goes on at these events? For example, when you study the word of God together, how are doctrinal differences addressed in such a disparate group? Also, are labyrinths, contemplative prayer or other like practices encouraged?