1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Walk to Emmaus

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Zenas, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Has anyone ever participated in this program? If so, what did you think of it? I remember several years ago there was a problem in a Kentucky Baptist church where a number of the members had participated in this program and had become quite cliquish because of it. I don't remember the church or the outcome but the problem was of sufficient magnitude to make the state Baptist paper, the Western Recorder.

Moderators: Walk to Emmaus is sponsored by the United Methodist Church so you may want to move this to the Other Christian Denominations forum.

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

I've been, althought it was probably 10 or 11 years ago now.
    Although methodist sponsered, the various leaders were from a lot of different churches, and at the one I went to most were some sort of baptist.
    I remember the story in western recorder.
    Cliques happen anywhere and anytime, most churches already have them, believe me, been there. People with something in common are generally going to group together. Anyone whose been on anykind of retreat together, or some event will group together aotimatically. The problem being when they limit themselves to these people only, and when they form a group within the church that becomes a clique, and keeps out everyone else.
    Emmaus does not teach cliques in churches, nor does it encourage it, or approve of it.

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Be careful...

A yellow flag went up when I saw the words "Walk to Emmaus".

Having both formal and private education in ancient world history I could't help but think of the Eleusian Mystery Rite called the "Walk to Eleusis".

Take a look at this site, then tred carefully.
    Let us know what you find.
    I hope my paranoia is misplaced.

http://www.lighthousetrailsresearch.com/walktoemmaus.htm

Thanks
    HankD

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

I don't have time right now to read the link you posted, but I know when I went there was no meditation taught.

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, thanks Donna. A lot could have happened in those 10 years.

Also, groups with clandestine objectives (and I'm not saying this is one of them) usually have initiating programs which seem innocent enough but as one goes through these initial and "orthodox" appearing gatherings, the individuals are tested with carefully crafted statements and questions to determine their future worth to the organization and it's hidden agenda.

Again, I'm probably being overly-cautious.

BTW, My wife also tells me "you are so suspicious of everything". (smiley).

After 50 years of walking with the Lord and dealing with cultists, one acquires that characteristic.

HankD

6. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had a "cousin-in-law" to really push me & my wife to participate in this, but wouldn't tell us squat about it.

I'm like you in that I'm highly suspicious (valid or not) of anything that has to be accepted blindly.

Pity that more people aren't more discerning on many matters that have long lasting impacts; like last Novembers election!!!

However there is always that segment of citizenry that dearly love the Pied-Pipers of whatever stripe.

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

they don't tell not because it's a secret society or something bt so as not to limit your own expereince,(or whatever someone chooses to call it). Not sure what more to say to explain it, sorry it's so lacking. Non one expects anyone to accept any teachings blindly, theres no admittance to some secret club, no blood oaths, nothing. It's mainly worship time, lots of prayer, class time, take what you want from it and discard the rest, something we all usually do, I've heard worse things on this board and in my own church then I did at emmaus,I wouldn't agree with everything they taught, but I agree with even less taught on this board. everything is meant to lead a person to deeper relationship with Christ to fully understand His love, showing people Christ's love by loving them.

#7 donnA, Sep 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2009
  8. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, that makes sense! I was simply told that "you just have to experience it--", but I'm just skeptical by nature, and this explanation didn't help alleviate any questions.

Your explanation does help tho' - thanks!!

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Walk to Emmaus is the Protestant version of the Catholic Cursillo Movement. It is put on by the Upper Room, a rather liberal-leaning and very pro-mystical ministry in the United Methodist church. It may not have been this way when DonnA did it, but it is now.

I do see a problem with not being willing to tell anyone about it because it might ruin or limit one's experience. That does make it secretive; some people might not choose to go if they knew more and they have a right to know more.

Also, it makes the whole thing very experience oriented and based.

I am not telling anyone what to do; I am just giving some info and cautions. I would not do this myself.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Our church does something similar, to my dismay. It's called Koinonia, and I have researched the entire Cursillo movement (which WTE is part of, just given a different name). It is heavy into emotion and experience, light on God's Word. I was asked to "candidate" for this (apart from my wife, I might add...she would go after, with my experience adding further emotion to her experience). They only want candidates that are not experiencing any pain at the time (loss of job, death of family member, etc.)...which is VERY unbiblical. I have approached the elders and pastor (who have all attended), and basically was told my concerns are unfounded. I still disagree, and will not support it in any manner. I almost left the church as a result.

11. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Good info. The origin of the this thing should be enough to steer every Bible believer away.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You would think, but unfortunately there is just enough truth to make it look good. Anything where emotion is put over the Word of God needs to be trashed.

13. jcjordan

jcjordan New Member

agreed.

Funny this was brought up. I was just discussing this very thing with a friend of mine a couple of weeks ago because it is very popular in my area, and I've always looked at it with skepticism mainly because of it's popularity. He also thought that it had a heavy dose of mysticism.

14. Lux et veritas

Lux et veritas New Member

I find it so interesting that so many people have all these wonderful ideas of how to "deepen our walk with the Lord", "make us better witnesses" (Way of the Master, etc), "strengthen our families", "give more joy to our marriages", and so on and so on. Then there needs to be another Para-church organization to fulfill that need.

And Christians fall for it by the millions ... forgetting that Jesus Christ established exactly what they need to fulfill ALL of the above needs AND MORE. It's called .... are you ready for it? ...

THE LOCAL CHURCH.

15. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Salve, Lux et veritas. Quid Agis?

I think the key is the numerical aspect of your statement. Millions. Translate that into Dollars and you see the reason for it. I get tired of all the saddle back books and studies. or stuff like the prayer of Jabez or the most recent issue of the tv commericial about buying a crystaline cross with the Lord's prayer writen in it. We live in the age of commercialized christianity. And its sad.

16. Carolvn

Carolvn New Member

Hi all, new member here! I attended North Georgia Tres Dias 16 years ago (Tres Dias is similar to Walk to Emmaus, except that it is interdenominational and is operated by local and international boards instead of by a particular church) and I want to reassure everyone here that the suspicions and uncertainties all of you have voiced are the result of people's shortcomings, not of the organizations themselves. Just as in all our churches, people cause the problems, not Christ. Our challenge is to keep our focus on Christ, while loving the people. I will be happy to answer any and all questions related to Tres Dias, Walk to Emmaus, Cursillo, or any of the similar three-day retreat programs. I hate to see people prevented from going on these wonderful, life-changing retreats by the faults and failings, however well-meant, of the people who have already gone. So...bring on those questions!!!
    Carol :1_grouphug:

17. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

When I was pastoring my last church several people, men and women, attended WTE. During the first few days of their return they were all excited and emotional about the experience. After a few weeks, the excitement died out, and they were no different than they were pre-WTE.

Without exception, they all encouraged me to go. They would not tell me anything about the meeting, only that I needed to have the experience. Like many of you, I am suspicious about anything movement that is secretive. I never attended. Call me a skeptic.

18. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Should I be wary when such retreats emphasize the "experience?" That suggests to me that it's mostly about feelings, etc. Am I wrong?

19. Carolvn

Carolvn New Member

By "experience", I suspect they meant, literally, that you should "experience" it for yourself. Walk to Emmaus and similar retreats are made up of many different parts, and what is most important to one person attending may not be the most significant to another. It isn't mostly about feelings, although, since we are all human, feelings may be expressed, just as they are in church, or in any other important setting or time. It is unfortunate that people are secretive, because that does turn others off and keeps many from attending. At every Tres Dias Weekend, we ask people not to do this, but they just really seem to want others to...well, "experience" it in a fresh way, without knowing anything ahead of time. It is a well-meaning but misguided notion. As I said, ask me anything - I'm happy to share.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What exactly is the "experience"? Our church sponsors a local Koinonia which is essentially the same thing. I was asked to attend, was told I could not know what goes on during the weekend, and not to worry, it was not a "cult". The fact cult even came up immediately sent up red flags. I have since done some pretty extensive research asking those who have attended, contacting the local chapter (no reply), and gained information from Koinonia's across the country. What I found out that it is HEAVY on emotionalism (hence the secretiveness). Truth is compromised, as there is no focus on salvation during the weekend and the things that essentials that divide denominations are brushed under the rug to focus on Christ's love. That might sound like a good idea, but God's love also includes His justice and wrath against sin.

Another thing I didn't like is the targeting of a specific "candidate". In the sponsor form it was stated those who are going through difficulties in life like divorce, loss of a loved one, unemployment, financial, etc. are NOT good candidates. They want only those who will be giddy and joyful to "experience" the fullness of the weekend's surprises and emotional letters coerced from church members and family. That is quite new age and goes against Jesus wanting those who are hurting.

My final conclusion? I will not be attending the weekend, and I have seriously considered moving my membership to another church that does NOT support this weekend. IMO, it is nothing but a money making tool using new age techniques to force close friendships over 72 hours (which is unnatural). Our local chapter brings in mid 6 figures for only spring and fall retreats which speaks volumes. If believers would give these funds to their local churches it would be for a better cause, which brings me to the point of para-church movements: If you cannot glean friendships, fellowship and the "giddy" feeling from weekly worship with your local church family, there is something wrong with you or your church.