1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WALKING IN THE SPIRIT

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Claudia_T, May 24, 2006.

1. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

I wonder, do most of the Christians here on this board believe we are under the New Covenant? Or do they not even think that applies to us?

Im pretty much astounded, I really had the idea that Bapists believed in conservative teachings... Brother Bob is the only one who acts like what I expected Baptists to act like.

I mean, dont you all even believe that God writes the Law upon our hearts?

Or at the very least dont you believe in Romans chapter 8 where it says we arent supposed to walk in the flesh any longer but that now we are supposed to walk in the Spirit?

...and if yes, well what do you think that means? are you saying you can walk in the Spirit and still commit adultery, worship idols, covet your neighbor's possessions, steal, etc?

I'm still at a loss to understand exactly what it is that Baptists believe.

If you arent a Baptist I'd still like to know what you believe about "Walking in the Spirit" as well.

2. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Yes we are supposed to walk in the Spirit, and if we do that then no we will not commit any of the sins you listed or any others for that matter.

The problem is we do not always die to self and walk in the Spirit. Sometimes we allow the flesh to win the battle. And there is no telling what the flesh is capable of when it is in control, especially if it has been denied for a great amount of time.

And unfortunately there are Christians that allow the flesh to win a majority of the time and there are still other Christians that never even understand there is something different.

I am just finishing up a fantastic book on this subject called the Salvation of the Soul by Watchman Nee. It is a great read about living the life of victory.

3. Mary Diana Lynn Harper

The victory of life is Chirst. The mystery of life is Christ. Your salvation is complete when you ask for salvation and than learn to live in God. You can learn through the Word. Even the profits did wrong and that is because of the flesh. Live each day as it is your last because you never know when God will call you home and if you are living in and by the Word and the world, God allows you to make mistakes, He of all people know that the flesh is weak that is why He sent His son. He knows we are weak. Why do you debate about the Spirit when God has given you His Spirit to guide you each day to that walk of salvation. without the Spirit you are already lost to the World and its possetions.

4. Mary Diana Lynn Harper

by the way Christ is the new covenant. So to answer you We are under the new covenant. the old covenant was done away with when Christ died for us.

5. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

When I say the New Covenant, this is what I mean:

Heb:8:10: For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people

Ezek:36:26: A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
    27: And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

6. Balion

Balion New Member

Some people believe that Heb: 8:7-13 is referring to the second coming and the millenium.

Some believe that Ezek: 36: 24-30 is referring to the last days.

Dr. Jack Van Impe subscribes to this theory.

7. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Thats right, if we walk in the Spirit we wont be breaking the 10 Commandment Law. How could we claim to be walking in the Spirit but commit adultery or worship idols.

JJ, when you say there is no telling what the flesh is capable when it has been denied for a long time, that sounds scary! [​IMG] Like some sort of caged up animal just waiting to get out and be evil!

I agree that there are many Christians who dont even seem to realize there is a battle to be won.

8. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Claudia I don't think anyone has claimed that we can walk in the Spirit and committ adultery or worship idols.

A caged animal. That's a pretty good description. Have you heard stories about the most Godly people that when they ar elderly and are drawing to the end they become some of the meanest, nastiest people? That's because they have denied the flesh for so long, but once that sucker gets loose you better look out [​IMG]

9. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

JJ

actually my pastor used to joke about that but in the opposite way.

You've heard of Righteousness by Faith?

Well he used to say that some Christians never think they have to overcome anything and the only time in their whole lives that they finally achieve Righteousness is when they reach old age and they have Righteousness by Senility! They are just Righteous because they have gotten so old that they couldnt do anything wicked, even if they tried. :D

10. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

JJ

I know you say no one has claimed that we can commit adultery or worship idols...if they are walking in the Spirit.

But then WHY are they so bent on insisting that if you think you need to keep the 10 commandments that makes you a legalist?

isnt that silly?

11. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Now how would they get the Millenium out of that?

12. billwald

billwald New Member

"I mean, dont you all even believe that God writes the Law upon our hearts?"

Maybe in special cases but not generally else the Church is less than one percent of professed members.

13. billwald

billwald New Member

Why the big deal in America about privacy if the Law is written on our hearts? Why would we need to keep things secret? Maybe it is written in Hebrew and we can't read it.

14. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

JJ,

You are talking about denying the flesh through human (LAW) means instead of through the Spirits Power, right?

SMM

15. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

SMM I guess I'm not following your question. Denying the flesh doesn't have anything to do with the law. I think the Holy Spirit enables you to deny the flesh, but doesn't actually do it for you.

Is that what you were looking for?

I can only guess as to why people do things. And my guess as to the legalists point is because you and Brother Bob have insisted that if someone doesn't keep the law that they are not saved.

We are supposed to keep the law, but the only way we can do that is by denying our flesh to rule our life and allowing Christ to manifest His obedient life in us moment-by-moment. Unfortunately even worthy servants and overcoming Christians don't do this enough, but the even more unfortunate side of things is there are Christians that rarely or never allow the Spirit to rule their life. But they are still saved.

Does that make sense?

16. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

JJ,

It was your comment about people near death turning mean and vicious because they had denied the flesh for so long that got me to ask clarification...

I can understand a person who really didn't have Faith and was trying to meet a bunch of human requirements getting mean and vicious near death...

But, not a child of God who had denied the flesh in the Power of the Holy Spirit...

SMM

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Some Christian!!

18. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Yeah there are very Godly people who are not very Godly at all during their final days just because they don't have what it takes to keep pushing the flesh down.

The flesh never goes away. We will have the sin nature until the day we die. And until that last breath the flesh is going to try to rule what goes on.

There are times when for whatever reason the person is not able to deny the flesh in their final days and it's not a pretty sight sometimes.

19. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Thats what will happen if you spend your whole life fighting sin with no hope or expectation of reward.

20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Its called when the mind goes because of lack of blood supply. Like when a kidney fails or heart gives out. Old saying once a man twice a child. Also like those who never matured but stayed as a small child in mind. Where little is known little is required.