1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Walkington's Works

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rippon, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

I'll take Rip's word for it when it comes to history any day, for he has shown he knows his stuff.

In this case I know for a fact he is right for I know Pink very well, having nearly all of his books in my library.

Pink is hands down, one of the top writers in the last 200 years. Pink never had a church in China, and for someone to say so, shows he knows nothing about the man. One time someone said Scofield was not a Calvinist, and for two pages debate his case, till he was shown without a doubt.

All can gain well, from Pinks writings

2. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I gained a lot from Pink. Not so much what I learned but it was after reading Pink's The Sovereignty of GOd that I was finally able to let go and believe what I had been reading in the Bible.
    I had been under a lot of pressure to deny what I was seeing so clearly in the Bible.
    Pink's work cemented it in my heart and mind.

I don't know that much about the man, other than he was obviously a great scholar.

3. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I had already reached the same conclusions as Pink years before I read The Sovereignty of God. But I went through the whole book saying, "Yes! Yes! Yes!" It was extremely encouraging.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A.W. was quite the useful instrument of the Lord . I trust many who view this thread realize that he was not a one-dimensional figure . Again , he has been compared to Matthew Henry by Mr. Murray . That's good company to be in .

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Profiting From The Word

The Scriptures And Joy

We profit from the Word when we diligently preserve the balance between sorrow and joy . If the Christian faith has a marked adaptation to produce joy , it has an almost equal design and tendency to produce sorrow -- a sorrow that is solemn , [ and ] noble . ' As sorrowful , yet always rejoicing ' ( 2 Cor. 6:10 ) is the rule of the Christian's life . If faith casts its light upon our condition , our nature , our sins , sadness must be one of the effects . There is nothing more contemptible in itself , and there is no surer mark of a superficial character and trivial round of occupation , than unshaded gladness , that rests on no deep foundations of quiet , patient grief -- grief because I know what I am and what I ought to be ; grief because I look out on the world and see hell's fire burning at the back of mirth and laughter , and know what it is that men are hurrying to .

6. npetreley

npetreley New Member

You can see Pink was extremely aware of and concerned about our depraved condition, and how important it is to realize our condition in order to flee to Jesus for refuge. He was equally concerned about our spiritual maturity after salvation. He has a masterful way of expressing these concerns while providing the Biblical way to comfort and peace.

Cool dude. ;)

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gleanings In The Godhead

The Decrees Of God

Let us now consider some of the properties of the divine decrees . First , they are eternal . To suppose any of them to be made in time is to suppose that some new occasion has occurred , some unforeseen event or combination of circumstances has arisen , which has induced the most High to form a new resolution . This would argue that the knowledge of the Deity is limited , and that He grows wiser in the progress of time -- which would be horrible blasphemy . No man who believes that the divine understanding is infinite , comprehending the past , the present , and the future , will ever assent to the erroneous doctrine of temporal decrees . God is not ignorant of future events which will be executed by human volitions ; He has foretold them in innnumerable instances , and prophecy is but the manifestation of His eternal prescience . Scripture affirms that believers were chosen in Christ before the world began ( Ephesians 1:4 ) ; yes , that grace was "given" to them then ( 2 Timothy 1:9 ) .

#47 Rippon, May 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2007
  8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gleanings In The Godhead

The Decrees Of God

They are absolute and unconditional . The execution of them is not suspended upon any condition which may , or may not be , performed . In every instance where God has decreed an end , He has also decreed every means to that end . The One who decreed the salvation of His elect also decreed to work faith in them ( 2 Thessalonians 2:13 ) . " My counsel shall stand , and I will do all my pleasure " ( Isaiah 46:10 ) ; but that could not be , if His counsel depended upon a condition which might not be performed . But God " worketh all things after the counsel of hi own will " ( Ephesians 1:11 ) .

9. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

God decreed

God wants all men to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth, but we also don't want to bring this into universalism, So God has decreed that only believers in His Son shall be saved.

His will, will be done. Not our own will, but His will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

It isn't our will that believers in His Son be saved, but the will of God.

God gives us the faith to save us, but we can walk away just like the young rich ruler did.

#49 psalms109:31, May 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2007
  10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gleanings In The Godhead

The Decrees Of God

To deny the divine decrees would be to predicate a world and all its concerns regulated by undesigned chance or blind fate . Then what peace , what assurance , what comfort would there be for our poor hearts and minds ? What refuge would there be to fly to in the hour of trial ? None at all . There would be nothing better than the black darkness and abject horror of atheism . How thankful we should be that everything is determined by infinite wisdom and goodness ! What praise and gratitude are due unto God for His divine decrees . Because of them , "We know that all things work together [ God works all things together - Rip ] for good to them that love God , to them who are the called according to his purpose " ( Romans 8:28 ) . well may we exclaim , " For of him , and through him , and to him , are all things : to whom be glory for ever . Amen " ( 11:36 ) .

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    gleanings In The Godhead

The Knowledge Of God

Now the divine knowledge of the future is not a mere abstraction , but something inseparably connected with and accompanied by His purpose . God designed whatsoever shall yet be , and what he has designed must be effected . As His most sure Word affirms , " He doeth according to his will in the army of heaven , and among the inhabitants of the earth : and none can stay his hand " ( Daniel 4:35 ) . Again , " There are many devices in a man's heart ; nevertheless the counsel of the LORd , that shall stand " ( Proverbs 19:21 ) . The wisdom and power of God being alike infinite , the accomplishment of whatever He hath purposed is absolutely guaranteed . It is no more possible for the divine counsels to fail in their execution than it would be for the thrice-holy God to lie .
    Nothing related to the future is uncertain so far as the actualization of God's counsels are concerned . None of His decrees are left contingent upon creatures or secondary causes . There is no future event which is only a mere possibility , that is , something which may or may not come to pass , " Known unto God are all his works from the beginning " ( Acts 15:18 ) . Whatever God has decreed is inexorably certain , for He is without variableness , or shadow of turning ( James 1;17 ) . Therefore , we are told at the very beginning of that book which unveils to us so much of the future that it will deal with " things which must shortly come to pass " ( Revelation 1:1 ) .

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gleanings In The Godhead

The Knowledge Of God

It should , however , be pointed out that neither God's knowledge nor his cognition of the future , considered simply in themselves , are causive . Nothing has ever come to pass , or ever will , merely because God knew it . The cause of all things is the will of God . The man who really believes the Scriptures knows beforehand that the seasons will continue to follow each other with unfailing regularity to the end of earth's history ( Genesis 8:22 ) , yet his knowledge is not the cause of their succession . So God's knowledge does not arise from things because they are or will be , but because He has ordained them to be . God knew and foretold the crucifixion of His Son many hundreds of years before He became incarnate , and this because in the Divine purpose He was a Lamb slain from the foundation of the world ; hence we read of His being " delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God " ( Acts 2:23 ) .

13. psalms109:31

End result

It is awesome the end result of the cross, that whosoever believes in Him shall be saved.

That God loved the world that He gave His Son that whosoever believes in shall be saved.

God has predestined by His own word that believers in His Son shall be saved.

We have a better hope today than the Law has ever provided, in which we draw near to God through Jesus Christ.

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll only address one of your errors Ps. Instead of the weak and inaccurate ' God has predestined that believers in His Son shall be saved " , go with Holy Writ : all who were appointed [ ordained , predestined ] for eternal life believed ( Acts 13:48 ) .

15. psalms109:31

Preordained

Before they even they believed God preordained that believers in His Son were to be saved.

16. psalms109:31

Believed

Those who he preordained believed is a statement, God says whosoever believes shall be saved.

17. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Yes, but did God preordain that you would believe that He'd preordain those who believed to be preordained to believe? I'm preordained to believe that those who God preordained to believe would believe God preordained them to believe, since the Bible says those who were ordained for eternal life believed as a result of being preordained.

Stick that in your Hallmark cards.

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Npetreley , you're a trip ! But so right .

19. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Thank you, I'm trying. Very trying. ;)

20. psalms109:31

Contrary

God wants all men to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth.

God has preordained that those who believe shall be saved.

And yes those who he preordained believed.