1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Want to see where Abraham Was Given Faith in The DEATH, BURIAL, and RESURRECTION of Jesus Christ?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Alan Gross, Aug 15, 2022.

1. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Want to see where Abraham Was Given Faith
    in The DEATH, BURIAL, and RESURRECTION of Jesus Christ?

17 "By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac:
    and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son,

18 "Of whom it was said, That in Isaac shall thy seed be called:

19 "Accounting that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead;
    from whence also he received him in a figure."

And what was this, "figure"?

Matthew 20:19 "And shall deliver him to the Gentiles to mock,
    and to scourge,
    and to crucify him:
    and the third day he shall rise again".

Romans 1:1 "What shall we say then that Abraham our father,
    as pertaining to the flesh, hath found?

2 "For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.

3 "For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God,
    and it was counted unto him for righteousness."

Abraham Was Given Faith
    in The DEATH, BURIAL, and RESURRECTION of Jesus Christ

"and it"

WHAT IS, "it"?

"Abraham believed God",
    and "it" =
    Abraham Was Given Faith
    in The DEATH, BURIAL, and RESURRECTION of Jesus Christ

19 "Accounting that God was able to raise him up,
    even from the dead;
    from whence also he received him in a figure."

And what was this, "figure", again?

Matthew 20:19 "And shall deliver him to the Gentiles to mock,

and to scourge, and to crucify him:
    and the third day he shall rise again."

And THIS FAITH IN JESUS'
    DEATH, BURIAL, and RESURRECTION

"was counted unto him for righteousness".

"ungodly" Abraham was Justified and had the Righteousness of Jesus Imputed to him when God Gave Abraham Faith in The ONE WHO IS RIGHTEOUS.

Romans 4:4 "Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.

5 "But to him that worketh not,
    but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly,
    his faith is counted for righteousness"

( Who Gave Lydia her "Belief", when GOD OPENED HER HEART,
    as HE DOES ALL WHOM HE SAVES, = GOD and it is the Same with Abraham)

Then, just as Jesus' Righteousness was Counted, or "Imputed" unto Abraham,
    Abraham's UNGODLINESS was NO LONGER Counted or "Imputed" to him.

Again:
    "ungodly" Abraham was Justified
    and had the Righteousness of Jesus Imputed to him,
    when God Gave Abraham Faith in The ONE WHO IS RIGHTEOUS.

Romans 4:6 "Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man,
    unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,

7 "Saying, Blessed are they
    whose iniquities are forgiven,
    and whose sins are covered.

8 "Blessed is the man to whom
    the Lord will not impute sin.

Romans 5:6 For when we were yet without strength,
    in due time Christ died for the ungodly.

7 For scarcely for a righteous man will one die:
    yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die.

8 But God commendeth his love toward us,

in that, while we were yet sinners,
    Christ died for us.

9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood,
    we shall be saved from wrath through him.

For if, when we were enemies,
    we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son,

much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

Jesus' Righteous, Perfect Life Imputed to us.

11 And not only so, but we also joy in God
    through our Lord Jesus Christ,
    by whom we have now received the atonement.

JESUS IS THE SAVIOR.

HAVE YOU TRUSTED HIS BLOOD ATONEMENT
    for YOUR ETERNAL SALVATION, as ABRAHAM DID?

ABRAHAM TRUSTED AND HAD FAITH GIVEN HIM
    in THE PERSON and WORK of JESUS.

(not the "work" of his "faith")

JESUS IS THE SAVIOR.

#1 Alan Gross, Aug 15, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    Copied from My Standing in Christ , by KenH.

For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not. - Ecclesiastes 7:20

The word "just" means righteous. We know that the Lord's people are righteous in Christ and yet, the inspired writer says that not even a justified person "doeth good and sinneth not." All believers are aware of our sinfulness knowing that "all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags" (Isaiah 64:6), therefore we petition the Lord for fresh supplies of pardoning grace (1 John 1:9). While the reality of our wretchedness is ever before us, let us rejoice in the deliverance of sin by the sacrificial obedience of the Lord Jesus Christ which is the sole basis upon which God remains just and justifies the ungodly. It is certainly true that "in me (that is in my flesh) dwelleth no good thing" (Romans 7:18), and therefore nothing good can come forth from me.

However, it is also true that I am accepted and declared to be the righteousness of God in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:21). As my sins were imputed to Him, so His righteousness has been imputed to me. I still mourn over my sins, but I must not sink into depression as though there were no hope. Let me rise from the despair of remorse to rejoice in my substitute and Savior, for He paid my debt and satisfied all the requirements necessary for my salvation. I praise Christ Who "loved me and gave Himself for me" (Galatians 2:20). The Father is well pleased with Him, and with me because of Him. — Tim James, pastor of Sequoyah Baptist Church in Cherokee, NC

Jonah 2:9

• Like Like x 1
  3. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Heb 11:17 By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac,

Abraham already trusted in God so he was willing to do as God commanded. Why would he do this, Paul tells us in vs 19 “concluding that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead

Abraham already had faith in God, God did not give him faith as you are saying. That is just you reading your theology into the text.

Rom_4:3 For what does the Scripture say? "ABRAHAM BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS ACCOUNTED TO HIM FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS."

How do you get God gave him {Abraham} faith from “ABRAHAM BELIEVED GOD”? What did Abraham believe. That God was able to raise him up, even from the dead. Abraham trusted God that He would raise Isaac from the dead as he was the one through whom his seed would go.

You repeat the same line over and over but it does not make it true. God does not give us faith, that is just what your theology requires.

Paul tells us that faith is not a work, but why would believe what the bible says.

The Righteousness of God Through Faith

Rom 3:21 But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets,
    Rom 3:22 even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference;
    Rom 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
    Rom 3:24 being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus,
    Rom 3:25 whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed,
    Rom 3:26 to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.
    Rom 3:27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? Of works? No, but by the law of faith.
    Rom 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith apart from the deeds of the law.

The condition of salvation is faith in the Son. By grace you are saved through faith.

4. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

And that is why we need a savior. And God provided one, Christ Jesus. And He told us the means of receiving salvation, faith in the Son.

Rom 3:21 But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets,
    Rom 3:22 even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference;
    Rom 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
    Rom 3:24 being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus,
    Rom 3:25 whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed,

5. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you are reading into the texts of Holy Scriptures details not explicitly stated.

6. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is a commentary on, "How Jesus Saved Abraham"; like this is:

Genesis 15:6, John Gill

And he believed in the Lord
    The Targums of Onkelos and Jonathan are,

``in the Word of the Lord;''

in the essential Word of the Lord, in Christ the Lord his righteousness; he believed in the promise of God, that he should have a seed, and a very numerous one; he believed that the Messiah would spring from his seed; he believed in him as his Saviour and Redeemer; he believed in him for righteousness, and he believed in his righteousness as justifying him before God:

and he counted it to him for righteousness;
    not the act of his faith, but the object of it; and not the promise he believed, but what was promised, and his faith received, even Christ and his righteousness this was imputed to him without works, and while he was an uncircumcised person, for the proof of which the apostle produces this passage, ( Romans 4:3 Romans 4:10 Romans 4:23 Romans 4:24 ) ; wherefore this is not to be understood of any action of his being esteemed and accounted a righteous one, and he pronounced and acknowledged a righteous person on account of it; for Abram was not justified before God by his own works, but by the righteousness of faith, as all that believe are, that is, by the righteousness of Christ revealed to faith, and received by it: what is imputed is without a man, and the imputation of it depends upon the will of another; such the righteousness of Christ without works imputed by God the Father. This is the first time we read of believing, and as early do we hear of imputed righteousness.

7. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 3:20

Therefore by the deeds of the law
    there shall no flesh be justified in his sight
    :
    for by the law is the knowledge of sin;

8. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To date,
    how many created or born of woman have died and then have been raised to life again out of the dead, incorruptible, and death having no more dominion over him?

How many?

God told Abraham to kill his only begotten son, his son of promise through whom the One would come in whom all the people of the earth would be blessed.

In that statement of God to Abraham, Abraham saw the resurrection of Christ, the day of Christ, to date the only one, so, resurrected.

Abraham concluded in my seed all the people of the earth are going to be blessed therefore if I sacrifice him God must be going to raise him from the dead, yet God kept him from sacrificing him and substitutes the ram unto Christ.

I wonder what day that took place?

The righteousness of God of 2 Cor 5:21 is what was imputed to Abraham IMHO.

The singular seed of Abraham, Christ was the faith of Abraham which was imputed to Abraham. IMHO Gal 3:7,8,9,16,19, 26,29

9. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Consider

Abraham died not having received the promises

Christ, Son died also

This Son
    Heb 1:2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;