1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

wanting to work youth ministry

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by j_barner2000, Sep 12, 2003.

1. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

My wife and I have a burning desire to work with youth.

We worked with (started the ministry) the youth at our previous church and loved it. We knew it was of God to move on to the church we have served for about 18 months. I surrendered to pastoral ministry last july. I have been studying through Seminary Extension and as intern serving as children's ministries director. We also take our turn teaching the children's church.
    the problem I am dealing with is actually 2 or maybe 3...
    1) we are merging with another church and the pastor there will be taking many of my duties

2) our senior pastor's daughter is the defacto youth director and sunday school teacher. seh is a great teacher, but has physical limitations and some psycological limitations which preclude her from being able to do many youth activities. I would love to teach a youth Bible study during the saturday night service, (which features country gospel music. But I dont want to step on toes.

3 My wife and I are from MI. spent 10 years near Alpena and miss the small town/city lifestyle. We would jump on an opportunity to move to that type of environment. I would just need to have work and pay enough to support my family. We have even decided we would accept a call to pastor or direct youth with minimal (or no , if I could get a decent job, salary)

We did fall in love with Missouri. And my father lives in western Ky. Pray for us because we feel restless, but we are not sur where or what He has in store for us.

2. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

well I guess I forgot to state my purpose... I seek guidance... I either need to find a church where I can enjoy the ministry or how do I get the pastor to allow me to work and build the youth ministry at my church.

last church... the pastors daughter and her boyfriend were supposed to be working with us in the youth, but they were doing things that were clearly not appropriate. We went to them first, and then to her father. We ended up having all of the youth in the nursury with her and daddy making excuses. We felt it was time to move on and were blessed by it.

Now we are in this situation... and I don't want to be forced out or to cause division in God's church. So do I talk to the pastor and tell him where I am coming from or do I look for ministry opportunities elsewhere. My wife and I both want to get out of AZ... and now we are feeling that perhaps He wants us to pursue youth ministry somewhere.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Talk with the Director of Missions from the area where you want to go. Give him a call and talk with him about your situation. Ask for a personal recommendation from your current pastor.