1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

War as a government Stimulus plan

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From another thread:

Then this response was asked and unanswered on more than one occasion:

What say you?

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WW2 involved widespread mobilization. The US has not mobilized for war as a nation. Also, far more were involved in active combat during WW2.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have answered this before. Spending money in Iraq and Afghanistan rebuilding those countries stimulates their economies, not ours. Building things there doesn't equate to building things here.

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a non answer. Read it again and try over.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The answer is accurate, correct, and true, Pastor Mitchell.

6. targus

targus New Member

We have been doing more than rebuilding.

We have been expending munitions and other military equipment which is then replaced by workers in our economy.

We have been paying soldiers who then mostly use the pay to support families here in the US.

We have been shipping building materials produced here in the US to Iraq for the rebuilding.

We have been hiring companies based in the US with US citizen employees to do much of the building - again the wages are largely returned to the US to support their families.

A great deal of the budget deficits have been for other than the wars.

So again why didn't this Federal spending keep us out of a recession?

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

It fails to answer the question

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It certainly does answer the question and quite well...if I do say so myself.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have not been building tens of thousand of planes, tens of thousands of tanks and jeeps and millions of uniforms and all of the bombs, etc., etc., etc. that we did during World War II.

10. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Do you have support for any and all of these statements?

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

If you had been paying attention to world events you would not have to ask.

12. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

That isn't an answer... it's an easy way out.

The other user posted specific things that has "helped" out economy. I would like to see some backing to this "talk" or is it just talk.....

Don't point me to the newspapers.. point me to where I can see how the money was been invested back into OUR economy and our theirs.

I agree with Ken, with all the money we spend over there the majority of it has helped their economy and not ours.

Now, got any facts or do you just want us to take it at his word?

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You need to go back and reread that. It did not say exactly what you think it did.

14. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Then be a good soul and enlighten me.. because from where I sit, I did understand my simple question and your response.

How am I mis-reading this?

15. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

The Iraq War Will Cost Us 3 Trillion, and Much More
    By Linda J. Bilmes and Joseph E. Stiglitz
    Sunday, March 9, 2008; B01
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/07/AR2008030702846.html

Economists used to think that wars were good for the economy, a notion born out of memories of how the massive spending of World War II helped bring the United States and the world out of the Great Depression. But we now know far better ways to stimulate an economy -- ways that quickly improve citizens' well-being and lay the foundations for future growth. But money spent paying Nepalese workers in Iraq (or even Iraqi ones) doesn't stimulate the U.S. economy the way that money spent at home would -- and it certainly doesn't provide the basis for long-term growth the way investments in research, education or infrastructure would.

Another worry: This war has been particularly hard on the economy because it led to a spike in oil prices. Before the 2003 invasion, oil cost less than $25 a barrel and futures markets expected it to remain around there. (Yes, China and India were growing by leaps and bounds, but cheap supplies from the Middle East were expected to meet their demands.) The war changed that equation, and oil prices recently topped $100 per barrel.

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two things come to mind

1. How bad was the illegal immigration problem during WWII

2. How extenstive was the goverment welfare (aka give-a-away) program during WWII

17. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure as to why we are in a recession. However, during the early 90's, we fought Iraq in Desert Storm. Just before the 1992 election, we were in a recession at that point too, weren't we? It would seem that there is a pattern emerging.

18. billwald

billwald New Member

We are in a recession because it is almost impossible to buy anything that is made in the USA.

19. targus

targus New Member

A simple reading of the text as written is self explanitory.

KenH said spending money to rebuild those countries doesn't help our economy.

I merely pointed out to him that we are doing more than rebuilding those countries.

Or do you not accept that we have expended and replace munitions and equipment.

Or that US soldiers use their pay to support their families back in the US?

Or that we are shipping materials and supplies to those countries to assist in the rebuilding?

Or that we have contracted work to US companies that hire US citizens to do rebuilding work?

20. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

No, a simple reading of the text gathers that you assume it is helping our economy. I only asked for proof of your assumptions.

More than we would have without a war? I mean they would have spent millions/billions whether we had a war going or not. Can you show me the difference we have spent with and without this war?

Wouldn't the soliders have been paid even without this war? So that doesn't add up to MORE money, it adds up to the same money we would have already gotten...

Are we? Is that all coming from American companies? Any links to what we have sent and who made it? Who got the revenue for it? Has it been paid for?

Again, Haliburton is a company that is over there working now. I know this company well as it was a client of mine when I ran my answering service. The problem with your idea is that Haliburton was around with employees before the war, so did they hire more people? Yes, I am sure they hire some, but enough to call it making a difference in our economy? I doubt that.

Again, it was a simple question to your statements.. Do you have any proof that this war has helped our economny or is it just guess work on your part?