1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

War Room

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Internet Theologian, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen this? What did you think?

We thought the movies was very good, way better than we had expected.

2. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hated it. I am disappointed in the direction the Kendrick brothers are going. I know there was a thread about this movie when it was in theaters and I said there that it was way to Moralistic Therapeutic Deistic for my taste. Also too much mysticism as well, like in the last scene when the guy buying the house knows what room was her prayer room. And the scene where she was yelling at Satan seemed way to much like the WOF guys.

3. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

Gotcha! I'm not so sure that sensing the presence of God is mysticism though.

I recall years ago working for a company and we had to go door to door in this apartment complex to take care of issues in each unit. All the units were occupied. When we entered one I got this sense of evil, and after walking in noticed the person had shelves filled with books on witchcraft, satanism, demonology along with evil looking wall hangings.

As far as yelling at the devil, not into that so much, but it wasn't a complete turnoff, so I gave ear to the rest. But that said I didn't go in expecting it to be that theologically accurate.

Back to the presence of God being felt, here is John Gill on Acts 3:19:

When the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; or "that the times of refreshing may come", as the Syriac version; either seasons of spiritual refreshment, joy, and peace, through the great and precious promises of the Gospel, and by the application of the blood and righteousness of Christ, to such penitent and converted sinners; which refreshment and comfort come from the Lord, and are accompanied with his gracious presence: or else seasons of rest, and deliverance from the violent heat of persecution; which was the case of the saints at the destruction of Jerusalem; they were not only saved from that ruin, but delivered from the wrath of their most implacable enemies. The Ethiopic version renders it, "and the day of mercy shall come from the presence of the Lord", repenting sinners find mercy; and a discovery of pardon is a time of mercy; and when God grants this, he affords his presence. The Jews call the world to come a time of refreshment; and say (b),

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought it was OK (actually, thinking back, it was good..better than I expected). Not my favorite, but it brought out the necessity of prayer. Actually, more than that. I thought of men like George Muller and their absolute dependency on God. Or John Calvin's "Of Prayer".

Unfortunately, I suspect it's impact will not be more "prayer warriors" but more themed study guides and bibles. Frown