1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Warren has an agenda that doesn't include preaching about sin

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by matt wade, Apr 8, 2009.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Trust me guy, I can take heat way beyond your endurance. If you hate the guy, then why would you spend time watching an hour of Larry King Live?

From posts from other people, I would say you got your foot in your mouth. Maybe it is time for you to leave the Rick Warren kick and start on say, John Hagee, or the Billy Graham Crusade.

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Is God using pastor Warren to bring glory to his name? Sure! Does pastor Warren mess up like the rest of us? Sure!

I love Jesus.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yet you start a thread titled "Warren has an agenda that doesn't include preaching about sin"?

And Jesus only fellowshipped with the righteous too, right? How willwe ever influence sinners if we do not have anything to do with them? Was it a stranger who told you about Jesus or a friend?

4. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Yes, I would mind you looking at where I live and work. I would consider it an invasion of my privacy. That's the reason I don't go around doing interviews all the time. If I did do interviews, then I would accept that my comments in those interviews were up for public commentary.

5. matt wade

I communicated my view very clearly and accurately. Let me say it again, Christians should not have homosexual friends. Does that mean why should be mean to homosexuals? No, I didn't say that. I said that we should not have homosexual friends. Friends are people that you consider to "be in your circle", that you have a close relationship with, etc. So, no, Christians should not have homosexual friends. Sorry if my position on that is not liberal enough for you.

And sorry, no Jesus did not have a "prostitute friends".

6. matt wade

Never said I hated Rick Warren. Where did you get that from? I have my foot in my mouth because there are people that defend Rick Warren? You have a hard time understanding what foot in the mouth is. Maybe it's all that heat you've been enduring! :laugh:

7. matt wade

100% agree. All I'm doing is commenting on public comments that Rick Warren has made in interviews. He shouldn't do interviews if he doesn't like people talking about what he says. Of course, I don't know that he minds me talking about what he says. It's only the Warren lovers here that are up in arms, not him.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you are reaching people then you have a public ministry and people will say false things about you. What another man does is not much of my business but my immediate neighborhood is my ministry until God expans that.

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The problem I personally have is that I do not always agree with what I once thought.

10. matt wade

And if people say false things about you, then you deal with those false things. I'm not dealing with false things about Warren. The items I've commented on are direct quotes from him. What is false about it?

Again, if a person does interviews he/she should expect their statements to be commented upon. What's the point of doing an interview if people don't read it? Should I read/listen to an interview and never think about it? Should I just accept everything I hear at face value? Sorry, no I shouldn't.

When I hear Warren say that he never gave an endorsement of Prop 8 and I know he gave an endorsement of it, I'm going to comment on it.

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

And the fact that he reiterated that he did not give an endorsement of Prop 8 in the public square - but did speak to his congregation about it, does that make a difference? And the fact that he had said that he had never given an endorsement on Prop 8.....then someone from his congregation asked him about it THEN he gave a statement to his congregation?

Man, I really think this is making a mountain out of a molehill. He did endorse Prop 8 - within 10 days of the election and not in the 2 years that it was being bandied about. That is the context he was talking about.

I wonder why it's so hard for some to see that?

12. matt wade

He posted a video on the Internet. He didn't just speak to his congregation. Even if it was just his congregation, that would mean he gave the endorsement to over 30,000 people.

If someone asks me to make a statement on something, and I do, does that mean I haven't made a statement? I don't understand how it matters whether or not someone asked his opinion on it.

We must have different methods of figuring out time. Part of the 2 years was 10 days before the election. The 2 years run up until the day of the election. Why is that so hard?

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Matt, give it up. You have lost this debate. Stop embarrassing yourself.

14. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Matt Wade...

According to you. I prefer to use the scriptures as my guide.

Nice try. But no, I'm not a "liberal" (though I have some friends who are) :thumbs: There is a nice big liberal church just up the road from here and I wouldnt fellowship there if they offered to pay me.

I am a card carrying "scriptures only", "faith alone" Baptist conservative evangelical. But I am an evangelical who does not put God in a box, doesnt limit God, and doesnt label people as being "heretics" simply because they see some non-foundational issues different than I do.

And regarding those non-essentials, Christs admonition to us is...

I'm sure that comes as a surprise to Jesus...and the prostitutes and other sinners whos lives were changed by Him.

:godisgood:

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...yet Jesus is called the "Friend of Sinners". Hmmm...

16. rbell

rbell Active Member

Bingo.....

17. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God. James 4:4

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think the issue here is "friendship" and it's definition.

We have many "friends" who are unsaved. We have a sailboat and belong to a yacht club (don't think snooty - think working club that costs less than if we stayed at the marina up the harbor) and have many friends there. We will go away on vacation together and have a number of interests together. I also train my friend's horses and there are friends at the barn who I will do shows with, go out to dinner with, go to their home for parties with. Then there are my children's friends who's parents I am friends with and will do things with.

But then there are our Christian friends. These are also people we do things together with, spend time with, have dinner with, pray with, go boating with, etc. We also have similar interests and have had wonderful memories together.

Now, there's a big difference between the two in the level of intimacy that happens. I still call those who are not Christians my friends, and I would hope that I have an influence in their lives and will someday point them to Christ. But those who are Christians are not just my friends but my brothers and sisters. There is a sweeter fellowship - a more intimate friendship that happens with that.

This whole thing was really, REALLY made clear to me about 5 years ago on our summer cruise (on our own boat, not a big cruise ship). We went with about 8 other boats to places east - Block Island, Newport, Martha's Vineyard, etc. We had a nice trip, enjoyed the kids playing together and the adults spending time together - but they all drink and we don't, they have a different foundation than we do and while we really enjoy their company, it was still exhausting each evening when we went to bed. Then one day in Block Island, a guy came over in his dinghy and said "I see you have kids and we do too. We'd love it if your kids could come play with our kids today! Can they come over?" Of course we wouldn't send our young daughters to a boat that we don't know so my husband brought them and stayed with them. I had a feeling - I watched them and how they were with their kids and I just had a feeling. A few hours later, my husband came back with a grin on his face. Not only was this couple Christians, they were missionaries! They felt God calling them to leave their home in Honduras and minister to the boating community. The dad did odd jobs, staying in some ports for a few weeks at a time as he did his work and they'd hook up with a local church, working with them for the time that they were there.

So we had this couple over for dinner that night (my first time really "hosting" a full dinner for a full family while we were away - it was fun to pull off!). They came to our boat around 6PM and stayed until 1 AM and when they left and DH went to bed, we felt joy, renewed and like we knew these people all our lives. The fellowship was so sweet and it was so fun to worship together (DH had his guitar so we did some singing), pray together and just enjoy life. I saw what a difference it was to fellowship with complete strangers who were believers, and those who we've known for 15 years yet are not believers. There was just a difference - I knew it in my heart.

So, what does this have to do with the subject? Yes, it is OK to have friends who are homosexuals - but they will never be the intimate friends that fellow believers can be. We can spend time with them, have them in our homes, do things together and pray for them - but until they are saved (the same goes for ANYONE who's unsaved - homosexuals, drunkards, gossipers, and the nice little old lady who knits slippers for everyone), we will not have the intimate friendship that comes with being brothers and sisters in Christ. But it is not wrong to count those who are unsaved as "friends".

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Since Scripture doesn't contadict, your use of "world" here is faulty.

20. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

This is my first encounter with the pastor named Rick Warren, but thanks to the demeanor and posts of Reformed Baptist and Matt, my impression is that while Rick Warren may have some specific problems (who doesn't), he is overall a good pastor, and has done a lot more for the Kingdom of God than I would do in several life times.