1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was Adam a Calvinist?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: I sure like that attitude. We both should be grateful the time others put into posts, yes, even when they criticize what we say. It helps us think things through. Thank you as well for your input and forcing me to think things through.

HP: I fail to see that established at all. We may be mortal, but we are spiritual as well. Adam possessed mortality but was living soul created to fellowship eternally with God even before the fall. He was doing just that even though still not in a glorified body. It does not take a glorified body for the soul to exist in an eternal state.

HP: There is not a shred of evidence to substantiate such a separation of our standing before God. Either we are for Him or against Him. Either we are one with Him or we are not. We may not have our glorified bodies, but we are either in the Lambs Book of Life or we are not.

HP: There is again no evidence to support that notion either IMO. Everything clearly point to the physical life as created temporal, on a temporal and finite planet for a limited time frame of existence. There is no such thing as the physical to be eternal. This mortal MUST put on immortality.

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Indeed.

Lucifer "lost it"

Adam "Lost it"

And mankind today is never reference in this way "Immortal man" or "immortal soul" so when we are saved we are "born AGAIN" but are not placed in superior relationship to God than Adam for "NOW we see in a glass DARKLY" but Adam saw "face to face".

NOW we walk by faith - THEN Adam walked by sight.

NOW we are separated (in many respects) from God as Christs said "I GO To prepare a place for you and if I GO I will also COME again" John 14. And we wait "With groaning" according to Paul for that day.

But Adam HAD that day - walking in the garden with Christ the Creator from the very start!

There is no way to equate our pre-glorifed pre-rapture decaying state of 2Cor 5:1-3 that we are longing to LEAVE - to a "better than Adam condition".

The fact of Adam's fall and the fact of the Romans 11 warning (being taken OUT of the vine of Christ) and the John 15 warning "taken out of the vine of christ - withered dead and burned in the fire" and the Matt 18 warning of "forgiveness revoked" and the 2Tim 2 warning of "Denied by Christ" etc all point to the same idea of "persevering" and not falling as did Adam in terms of choosing rebellion against God.

In Christ,

Bob

#142 BobRyan, Jul 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2006
  3. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Was Adam created immortal? I say only in a spiritual sense. Adam was created as a mortal physical man, with an immortal soul. I am created as a mortal man, with an immortal soul. Angels are created immortal period are they not? Agree or disagree?

4. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

This is part of the problem. You are still seeing everlasting life (eternal salvation) as a hope. It is not a hope, but a reality once you are saved. It's not a possibility, but a certainty.

As long as you cling to eternal salvation as a hope you will not find security until you take your last breath as a believing person.

But the Bible says that you don't have to hope, but you can know that your eternal destiny is set.

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    When you find a text that says "you have an immortal soul" read it to me.

When you find a text that says "Angels are immortal" read it to me.

Col 1 says that Christ "sustains ALL life" by the explicit exertion of His divine power.

1Tim 6 says "God alone posses immortality".

But the bottom line for Adam is that HE had access to the Tree of Llife and SO will we once we are in heaven and have access to the Tree of Life that is in the New Jerusalem "above".

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Colossians 1 says we are "saved in Hope" - hope of eternal life?

"And in the age to come - eternal life".

7. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: 2Ti 1:10 But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:

Immortality has more than one definition. We are not immortal in the same sense as God is. God possesses no principle of corruption or alteration in Him and has existed from eternity past, having no beginning as well as no end. Just the same, we are immortal in the sense of having life destined to endure throughout eternity. The very definition of the word ‘soul’ speaks to the immortality of the human spirit implanted within us by God.

HP: God has not closed our minds off to Scripture and Scripture alone. He has given us the abilities to reason, and draw conclusions as to many things not implicitly stated in Scripture. Show me a Scripture that says they do not possess immortality in the sense of life everlasting or the quality of life that exist for eternity. Believe as you will, and I will do the same.

HP: So we are sustained for eternity by the power of Christ that created us to live forever. How does that disprove that we are indeed immortal, in the sense of eternal life?.

HP: That is true in a sense, but man has been given an eternal existence through Christ via our creation, when He gave to man a living soul.

HP: What does that have to do with the question concerning the immortality of the soul? Those in heaven will be with Christ, partaking of Him. Those that have been given a living soul, but do not have access to the Tree of Life will indeed be living eternally also, but apart from Christ in an eternal hell.

8. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Here are three other verses that speak directly to the soul of man as being made immortal.

Ro 2:7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:
    1Co 15:53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
    1Co 15:54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree that we do have texts saying that in the future we will be "made" immortal. Just not that we are today.

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Quote:
    BR: When you find a text that says "you have an immortal soul" read it to me.

Are you saying that though we are not born immortal - we are made immortal when we are saved "through the Gospel"?

I did not know that anyone believed that -

When you speak of life for all eternity - do you mean "we" the saved or "we humans saved AND those that are lost"??

If you mean that the lost "have life for all eternity" then you need a text that promises the lost eternal life.

But I would just as easily accept one that says "man is immortal" or "our soul is immortal" or "God bless your immortal soul" etc.

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Quote:
    BR: When you find a text that says "Angels are immortal" read it to me.

That method has never worked.

"Until you show me that the Bible says Angels are not green - they are green. Until you show me that the Bible says frogs don't have immortal souls they DO have immortal souls. Until you show me that mankind does NOT have an immortal soul when we are converted we DO get immortal souls at conversion".

Just can't make that kind of argument work.

But I have to concur with your argument above - that the case must be made outside of the Bible because we don't actually have an "immortal soul" or "immortal angel" texts.

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Quote:
    BR:: 1Tim 6 says "God alone posses immortality".

Then man IS immortal NOT "through the gospel" but by creation - and all the texts saying that we are MORTAL "Mortal man" etc are wrong simply because we can presume that we must have been made immortal!

13. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "He who has the Son, has life" - nobody or nothing else has life - no 'soul' in itself; no angel, no 'god'; no sinner - ONLY sinners who were graced to "have Christ".

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hey I think I agree with GE on something!

Colossians 1 says that Jesus is the sustainer of all life - we don't have it "in ourselves" and neither does Satan.

15. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hey Bob, don't rejoice too quickly!
    If Christ be the Life-Giver as well as Sustainer - surely you must be a Calvinist!

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In the context above - I claim that Satan is alive and "he knoweth that he has but a short time" to live - Rev 12.

Is that where you are going?