1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was Adam saved by faith?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by KJVO, Aug 7, 2008.

1. KJVO

KJVO New Member

I have read on many post here that all the way from Adam to present that salvation has always been by grace through faith.

Why did Adam need faith He walked with God and talked to Him?

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Not wanting to argue I would just like to see what are some of the beliefs are as far as Adam needing faith is concerned
    Thanks

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I think that is a good question.

Adam did not need to be saved until after he sinned. He was not walking with the Lord and talking to Him after that -- remember, the Lord was looking for him and Adam was hiding (I realize God knew where he was, despite what the Open Theists say).

He was rebuked by God and sent out of the Garden. So at some point after that, I would say he needed faith. Maybe a little different from faith today, but still faith in God as redeemer.

I am not sure if Adam understood the Gen 3.15 statement, but even if he didn't he could see God was taking care of him even though he was kicked out.

3. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Adam may or may not have understood the full meaning of the Gospel preached to him, which we have recorded in the Scriptures, but I am confident that he did believe, along with his wife.

"And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel." Gen 3:15

I prefer the ASV translation here, "and I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed: he shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel."

The seed is Christ. The brusing of His heel is His crucifixtion. The bruising of the serpents head is the destruction of the devil's power. I found a part of Gill's comment on this very interesting..

"reference seems to be had to this passage in Ps 40:7 "in the volume", in the first roll, en kefalidi, as in the Greek version, at the head, in the beginning "of the book, it is written of me, to do thy will, O my God."

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where is it written that Adam was redeemed? The Apostle stated quite clearly that those who lose spiritual life can never regain it (Heb. 6). He also began his tome on faith with Abel (Heb. 11), as did Jesus (Matt. 23:35).

5. ReformedBaptist

It is not written, as far as I know, in the Scriptures specifically that Adam and Eve were saved. It is, however, something that I believe. I believe they were/are saved. I believe this because I believe they believed God when He prophesied of Christ in the garden. They also typify fallen and redeemed mankind. Fallen man covers their own sin. This they did. Those who are redeemed are covered by God through the shedding of blood. God covered Adam and Eve in animal skins. Those animal(s) had to be killed and thus their blood shed for their covering. I see this as a type of Christ's sacrifice and covering of His people.

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I don't think we know if Adam was saved. Does the Bible say he was?

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is not seen by any of us is our full redemption.

8. KJVO

KJVO New Member

Thanks everyone, I was curious as to what your thoughts were on this.

9. ReformedBaptist