1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was Barack Obama a Muslim?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, May 22, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ..............Two months later, Paul Watson of the Los Angeles Times (available online in a Baltimore Sun reprint) reported that the Obama campaign had retreated from that absolute statement and instead issued a more nuanced one: "Obama has never been a practicing Muslim." The Times looked into the matter further and learned more about his Indonesian interlude:

His former Roman Catholic and Muslim teachers, along with two people who were identified by Obama's grade-school teacher as childhood friends, say Obama was registered by his family as a Muslim at both schools he attended. That registration meant that during the third and fourth grades, Obama learned about Islam for two hours each week in religion class.

The childhood friends say Obama sometimes went to Friday prayers at the local mosque. "We prayed but not really seriously, just following actions done by older people in the mosque. But as kids, we loved to meet our friends and went to the mosque together and played," said Zulfin Adi. … Obama's younger sister, Maya Soetoro, said in a statement released by the campaign that the family attended the mosque only "for big communal events," not every Friday.

Recalling Obama's time in Indonesia, the Times account contains quotes that Obama "went to the mosque," and that he "was Muslim."

Summarized, available evidence suggests Obama was born a Muslim to a non-practicing Muslim father and for some years had a reasonably Muslim upbringing under the auspices of his Indonesian step-father. At some point, he converted to Christianity. It appears false to state, as Obama does, "I've always been a Christian" and "I've never practiced Islam." The campaign appears to be either ignorant or fabricating when it states that "Obama never prayed in a mosque.".........

Full Article Here

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I don't care, not one iota, if he was considered to he a Muslim when he was 5 or 6 years old.

A straw man - nothing more.

3. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Didn't you just recently hold to the view that he has never been a Moslem? Obama certainly has made this claim.

4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True, and after all someone who is converted is usally the strongest advocate for whatever it is they converted to. So, he must be a strong Christian if he converted ... which of course he didn't as he never was a Moslem in the true sense of the word. But Obama haters will keep this up until long after the election.

I've gone to a mosque in Xi'an, China and Istanbul, Turkey ... does this make me a Moslem. No it doesn't. There were interesting to see and the architecture was interesting, but I remain a Christian. If you wanna see photos from inside the Blue Mosque in Istanbul let me know and I will give you a link to our travelblog. :)

5. Cutter

Cutter New Member

The following is a post I made in another thread that no one bothered to address. So, here it is again.

"Just a question for enlightenment on the Muslims and what Muslims teach concerning their own converting to the Christian faith. Does anybody know how a Muslim is taught to respond to a Muslim that converts to the Christian faith?
    Thanks."

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Again, you miss my words "I dont care if he was considered a Muslim when he was 5 or 6 years old. A child of that age is at the whim of his parents.

I mentioned elsewhere that the "public schools" in Ireland are run by the Catholic church. If my children had gone to them, and had to go to the church as part of their school day, would they be Catholic?

Are the saved children in out church today, whose parents require that they stay in school Catholics?

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    He was born to a Muslim father, of course he was labeled as a Muslim. Where is the newsflash? He has never been a practicing Muslim, as has been pointed out over and over again on this forum by myself and others. Nobody cares about when he was an infant or young child. At that age you are what your parents tell you you are. He has never been a particing Muslim.

8. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Mark,

You sure are losing creditablity with all this Obama bashing.. There is more than enough things to make people not want to vote for Obama, and yet you keep beating the <edited> drum...

<edited - LE>
    Jamie

#8 JamieinNH, May 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2008
  9. donnA

donnA Active Member

Key word is "praticing".
    This is not a denial of ever being muslim.
    But according to the article, he did pratice prayer time, and other muslim activities.

Since when has anyone, " always been a christian"?
    Can't be true.

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

1. Are you holding every person accountable for what their parents had them do when they were six years old??

2. He clearly means this in the generic sense - he doesn't claim to be a theologian.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

How do you know which way he meant it? I can only assume he meant what he said, unless of course he lied.

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Please, we as believers know what "Christian" means in the literal sense of accepting Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour. The world sees "Christian" as living in a Christian culture.

There is no need to accuse him of being a liar simply because he doesn't define "Christian" as we do.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How one was raised goes to the influences in their life. It is a reasonable consideration.

14. rbell

rbell Active Member

Revmitchell, shouldn't we spend more time on facts (i.e., Obama's positions) than innuendo? First of all, it would be more effective. This kind of stuff simply drives people to Obama.

Secondly, it keeps us from repeating things that we've simply heard, but do not know to be true.

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then don't involve yourself in the thread. I have never represented any of this as fact. But I dont think it should be ignored either. Pre-911 who would have thought that Moslems taking flying lessons would be an issue. The idea that this makes folks run to him is simply unfounded. What i do believe is that he supports a few pet issues of some on this board so they do not want any discussion.

#15 Revmitchell, May 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2008
  16. rbell

rbell Active Member

Why not answer the question, rather than be snippy about it?

I don't support Obama at all. That's been made plain. But the windmill-tilting over innuendo should take a back seat to verifiable fact.

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wasnt snippy. And there are undisputable facts in these posts. The question is do they lead to who he is?

18. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think he has ever been a "Moslem" or a Muslim... especially since he said he hasn't.

I don't know why Baptists preach mightily from the pulpit that going to church doesn't make you a Christian (even a "practicing" Christian), but automatically assume that a child who briefly attends a Muslim school is somehow instantly becomes a "practicing" Muslim. And, for what it's worth, Christian schools love to impose Christian practices (prayer, Bible lessons, etc.) on those who attend as part of the curriculum, shouldn't we expect a Muslim school to do at least as much?

I believe Obama knows that a person's faith is based upon where their heart lies and the commitments they have made, not attendance at a religious institution or obeying the leadings of those who want to impose religious practices. Baptists used to believe this as well, but I think the spirit of the election season has made many Baptists forget their theological and ethical heritage in favor of party politics.

And no, I'm not planning to vote for Obama.

#18 Baptist Believer, May 22, 2008
    Last edited: May 22, 2008
  19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How many Innuendos have been made on this board by those who oppose any discussion on this issue? Most recently the innuendo that the President was speaking directly to Barak. Certainly there is no verifiable proof that he wasn't speaking to the world as a whole. Here are some other threads full of innuendo:

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=49772

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=49709

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=49613

Quite the double standard. I could go on but you get the picture.

20. rbell

rbell Active Member

Well, sir, since I never posted in any of those threads, I fail to see how this applies to me.

Once again...I'm against Obama. He's anti-freedom, pro-choice, and woefully inexperienced for the job. I can back that up factually.

All I have to do is quote his "burgers, A/C, and SUV's" comment to prove what a horrific president he would be.

My point is, the "muslim angle" is unprovable at best, and spreading falsehoods at worst. If you don't want him elected, why not try a more effective methodology?