1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was Cyrus saved?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Joman, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Joman

Joman New Member

Isa 45:4 For Jacob my servant's sake, and Israel mine elect, I have even called thee by thy name: I have surnamed thee, though thou hast not known me.

Cyrus was not sabed because he did not know God. That means that God elect him for a purpouse, but the act of salvation was his choice?

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know if Cyrus knew God or not.

But I do know that God raised him up to be king at that time in history. Cyrus released more people foreign to his nation than just the Jews. But the historical record of the Jews being sent "home" with their Temple paraphenalia is what is important to Christians.

God did raise Cyrus up for that purpose.

Did Cyrus respond by accepting the God of the Jews? Unfortunately, I doubt it.

Cyrus was a positive influence, important to Jewish history, but that does not make him a follower of the Living God.

Peace-
    Scarlett O.
    <><

3. Joman

Joman New Member

Thank you Scarlett.

Seems Cyrus wasted his opportunity.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Only Cyrus and God know.

5. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

God raised Cyrus up for Jewish deliverance from tyranny----verse 6 says, "That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside Me. I am the Lord, and there is none else."

Paul writes to the Saints in Rome---and in Romans 13---he spells out the fact that "higher powers" are ordained of God---in order to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.---but that doesn't mean that those "higher powers" are all "saved" higher powers!!!

And for the Cyrus to have been risen up to rescue the Jews----for the Jews to say to Cyrus---"Shucks, no! Cyrus---we ain't budgin' from here!"---for the Jews to have resisted Cyrus---they would have in turn--received damnation unto themselves.(see Romans 13:2)

Was Cyrus saved??? No one knows---but I believe that God gave Cyrus opportunity when He spelled out the reason that He wanted Cyrus to rescue the Jews-----that they may know that I am the Lord God and beside Me there is no other-----how could the opportunity for salvatio not be given---it WAS given by God in that sense of the word---whether Cyrus received that word----well---we'll not know until we are in Heaven---and check to see if Cyrus made it or not!!!

6. Joman

Joman New Member

"though thou hast not known me"

Why?

Because of his decision or God decision?

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Blackbird, just curious- Do you want to close the exit before the car gets there? Seems the turn signal is on!
    Ed

8. mima

mima New Member

I have pondered a situation related to this question. Can you imagine the surprise Cyrus had when Jews showed him his name in their scriptures written some 400 years before?? Did he gets saved? I do not know the answer but the opportunity might have been there if he endured as much surprise as I thank he did.

9. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

I don't believe Cyrus was saved.

Isa 45:4 Because of Jacob my servant, and Israel whom I have taken for myself, I have sent for you by name, giving you a name of honour, though you had no knowledge of me.
    5. I am the Lord, and there is no other; there is no God but me: I will make you ready for war, though you had no knowledge of me:

Ezra 5:14 shows that Cyrus, while respecting the God of the Jews, clearly had his own God.

Alexander the Great is said to have offered sacrifice in the Temple, but he paid homage to everyone's god who he conquered as a matter of political expediency.

Though I greatly admire his character traits, I do not think this homage to God makes him saved nor does being used by God make Cyrus saved.

MR