1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was Daniel made a eunuch ?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by CYBERDOVE, Mar 16, 2005.

1. CYBERDOVE

CYBERDOVE New Member

I was just studying the book of Daniel and also using the commentary 'DANIEL' by J.Vernon McGee. In McGee's commentary he states that Daniel was made a eunuch, that this was done by King Nebuchadnezzar's people. McGee validates this with the verse from Isaiah 39:7--"And of thy sons that shall issue from thee, which thou shall beget, shall they take away; and they shall be eunuchs in the palace of the king of Babylon." Do anyone else agree with this, if yes why, and if not again why? To be honest I never heard this before, I don't know how I ever missed it!! in CHRIST [​IMG]

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a real stretch. This is the judgment of God upon Hezekiah and his children. Think 700 BCE.

Daniel is taken captive 13 kings later, in 606 BCE.

I think it applied to Hezekiah's day.

3. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

Hi Cyberdove,

I tend to agree with Dr Bob, although for different reasons. First of all, the Bible is silent on that particular point, but I believe that we can draw some reasonable conclusions based on history and custom, as well as the scripture.

First, the word translated as "eunuch" is "Saris". Saris may be translated also as officer/official. Ashpenaz was the "Rab-Saris" Lit. Chief/master-officer/official/eunuch.
    To draw inference from the translation of Saris as "eunuch" to imply that Daniel was a eunuch is a stretch in and by itself.

Secondly, although it was indeed common to emasculate certain individuals within a royal house, it was by no means the rule.

Thirdly, royalty (which Daniel may or may not have been) were kept as hostages on the theory that the conquered land would be less likely to rebel if royal hostages were kept by the conquerer. They were normally treated (relatively) well.

The most compelling evidence for me against Daniel's emasculation however, is found in Deut 23:1 which states that one who is a eunuch may not enter into the congregation of the Lord. I personally feel that if Daniel had been emasculated (seeing the depth of love he had for God painted throughout the scripture), it would have been something that he would have agonized over, and I think that something of that much importance to him would have found its way into scripture.

Once again, the Bible is silent on the issue, and all we have is best-guess.

4. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Don't you wish it could be more concrete than this! But I wouldn't be surprised either way.

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

On the other hand, there is no mention of Daniel having a wife or family at all, which goes more to supporting he might have been made a eunuch.

We are studying Daniel in a Bible study and several commentaries said that it was highly possible he was made a eunuch, though I agree we cannot know for sure since the Bible does not indicate it.

6. CYBERDOVE

CYBERDOVE New Member

Hi everyone.---- all of the views I have read here have their valid points,and I have have looked up Deut. 23:1; would this also apply to someone who was already part of the congrgation and was later forced to become a eunuch? I have always admired {and still do} Daniel's upright behavior and moral convictions. Daniel is one of the few patriates that seem to have had no major moral struggles.I know he was not perfect,but he was a -- straight arrow-- when it came to GOD and GOD's work. Dr. Bob I will have to take another look at Isaiah. One of my favorite verses comes from Is., however I have not studied it as I should. Mcgyver explaination of --eunuch--is interesting, I am in the process of ordering a greek and hebrew lexicon. Marcia I was wondering the samething, I knew before hand that he never married but maybe this is why. however maybe he was just so dedicated to GOD's work he never had time. like USN said--" don't you wish it could be more concrete that this?'. I love the way studying the WORD makes you have to study more and more and more!.-------- Now I look thru a glass dimly------yours in CHRIST [​IMG]

[ March 18, 2005, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: CYBERDOVE ]

7. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

Keep on studying, Cyberdove...and may you continue to grow in the love of our Lord Jesus Christ! [​IMG]

8. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

Another thing to consider is that although Daniel served in the palace of the king, eunichs specifically tended the harem in the palace.

Daniel's duties did not involve this from what we can tell.

MR