1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

was It Even possible For Jesus To Reject the Cross?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Apr 27, 2011.

1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

did He have "free Will" to decide NOT to go through with the Plan of the Cross?

just asking, for IF He did not, as the Father ultimate Will would be done, does this show us that there really is no such thing as a "true" Free Will for man?

or was this a "special" circumstance, that when it involves things alread wriiten down in prophecy to occur, that is has been "fixed/locked in" so cannot be altered, theb Future already has been written?

#1 JesusFan, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2011
  2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

No one has true free will. I cannot jump 88 inches high. I cannot create abowl of Cincinnati chili using sand. So all of our choices are limited by providence/sovreignty.

3. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

He had human volition to choose, but He chose to follow the Fathers will, and it was never an issue with Him. He never once said or did anything to get out of going to the cross and paying the price for our sins.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Another great paradox. On one hand He was the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world, but then you have Jesus saying He could have called 12 legions of angels while in the garden if He wanted to. How those 2 truths coincide, nobody knows (regardless of what any systematic theology says)

5. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say the following:

1. As man He was tempted to call it off.
    2. As God He could do no wrong, nor break the harmony of the Trinity.

I believe He had the legitimate and painful temptation to quit, but because of His nature, character, and divinity, He could never do anything wrong.

6. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Webdog, don't you know that our systematic theologies are there to remove all the tensions created by the scriptures so that we don't have to live with those pesky questions and mysteries of the faith? Come on, get with it!!!:smilewinkgrin:

7. glazer1972

glazer1972 Member

I'm sure glad He didn't reject the cross.

#7 glazer1972, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2011