1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was Jesus A Man Before the Incarnation?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Marcia, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

Plug

Here, I'll help you out even more: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1556731884/?tag=baptis04-20

There is nothing new with Spirit/Sophia/Wisdom Christology and nothing new with the arguments against it. However, this is the first time I've seen someone use this issue to relate it to other ANE cultures (Armed with Pritchard or the recent "Context of Scripture" volumes?) and plug a website for a completely different issue regarding Genesis and the old earth/young Adam view.

BTW Welcome to the Baptist board :)

2. Dick Fischer

Dick Fischer New Member

Thanks for the welcome

BTW Welcome to the Baptist board :)[/QUOTE]

And thanks for the book plug. The old earth/young Adam view hasn't received the attention it deserves in my view. The ASA still has the articles I wrote over ten years ago archived, "in Search of the Historical Adam, Parts I and II." They are on the ASA (American Scientific Affiliation) web site. I think it is entirely possible that Adam had awareness of a triad god relationship similar or even the same as we believe in today.

One other thing, the god, Enki, the Sumerians adopted from the Semitic Akkadians, translates "Lord of the earth," and Enlil, is Lord of the "air," "breath," or "spirit." Note especially the en- prefix meaning "lord" or "king." That's the same prefix in the names of Adam's grandsons, Enoch and Enosh, indicating they likely reigned over cities in Mesopotamia. That suggests Adam is dateable, locateable, and recent relative to Homo sapiens.

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Since you didn't answer: I ask again: Are ya'll discussing mormon or Christian doctrine?

Before ya' say it again, I read the first part of the thread, and nowhere does it say whether you are trying to discuss Christian or Mormon doctrine.

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I started this thread and had no intention of discussing Mormon doctrine. It arose from a discussion on another thread about Jesus before the incarnation. I wanted some feedback re my statements that Jesus did not have a body before the incarnation.

It seems a few Baptists think God has some kind of a body and/or Jesus had some kind of body before His incarnation.

Even reincarnation has come up! Skypair seemed to assert that but never answered me as to whether that was what he was asserting.

5. Faith alone

Faith alone New Member

FWIW, there are various views of an old earth-recreation theory. There's the Gap theory, of course. But there's also Dr. Waltke's Pre-creation Chaos theory (all six 24-hour day theories), here's a good link:

http://www.bible.org/page.asp?page_id=42

Here's a link which has a series of articles by Dr. Waltke:

http://www.regentbookstore.com/radio/speaker_info.php?speakerID=bwaltke

FA

6. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

What are dealing with here is not If Christ is man. All will agree. It is not if Christ is God. All will agree. When did Christ take on His Body, seems to be the point.

Christ took on the human body when He was born of Mary. Some have disagreed with this, but to say other wise makes salvation volid and has no place in our faith. Understanding the union of the 2 natures of Christ makes it clear.

This was what spilt the church into 3 churches in the 500s. From the beginning, this has been a bigger debate then the A/C dedate. The Church in the West used this wording given back then, which I agree with .... "Hypo Static Union".

Some claimed Christ has only one nature. Eutychanism held to this one nature idea. There was 2 sides on this as well. One side stated if Christ was 100% man...and Christ was 100% God then the 2 can not mix. If you have 100% of something it leaves no room for anything else. If you remove to place in something, it is no longer 100%. This group went on to say that Christ had a mans body, and yet the Spirit was God...and together is one nature. Then the other side of Eutychianism said the union was like oil and water. The oil and water was placed in a jar...what have ya...and the 2 are together and never mix, but is one.

Hypo static union says 2 natures...all man...and all God.

None of these early church views said that Christ took on a human body before He was born.

In Christ..James