1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was Jimmy Carter right?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by JustChristian, Jul 15, 2008.

1. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

July 15, 2008, 8:06 am
    Green Ink: Was Jimmy Carter Right?
    Posted by Keith Johnson

http://blogs.wsj.com/environmentalcapital/2008/07/15/green-ink-was-jimmy-carter-right/trackback/

On the anniversary of President Carter’s famous energy speech, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution asks if the much-maligned former president wasn’t right about America’s energy future after all. A line to remember: President Carter pledged U.S. oil dependence would never increase after 1977. One thing the current mess has spawned: a big growth industry—in energy lobbying in Washington, at Inside the Loop.

2. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Second hearing for Carter
    He was right: During late '70s energy crisis, president wanted to put brakes on oil imports, explore alternatives.

By Joseph Wheelan
    For the Journal-Constitution
    Published on: 07/15/08
    http://www.ajc.com/search/content/opinion/stories/2008/07/15/energyed.html

Can we now acknowledge that Jimmy Carter was right all those years ago?
    Misunderstood, mocked and maligned, the 39th president (1977-81) will forever be associated with the Iranian hostage crisis and the botched rescue attempt; the human-rights-inspired Olympic boycott and grain embargo; inflation; the infamous rabbit attack; and, above all, skyrocketing fuel prices.

Americans, who hate to be told they must change, roundly condemned Carter's memorable "Crisis of Confidence" speech of July 15, 1979. In it, Carter outlined a program for achieving energy independence: "On the battlefield of energy we can win for our nation a new confidence, and we can seize control again of our common destiny."

We admirers have long endured ridicule whenever we dared to defend Carter's prescient plan for reducing U.S. dependence on oil.

But today, after all the abuse and scorn heaped on Jimmy Carter and his supporters, we find ourselves paying more than $4 a gallon at the pump to fill our hulking gas guzzlers.

It turns out that Carter was right after all.

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, he was right. Many people have known that this mess was coming unless something was done. But politicians, because of votes and big special interest money, did nothing.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This "mess" was created by the liberal left period. His prophecy was self fulfilling.

5. billwald

billwald New Member

The liberal left all bought SUVs and moved 20 miles from their place of employment. None of the righteous right did anything that foolish.

6. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

A ridiculous statement. You're claiming that the energy shortage was created by the bad, bad liberals? Please explain (with facts for a change).

7. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Rev, this is your answer to anything that you don't agree with or can't dispute: Slap a LIBERAL label on it and blame it for all your problems. It's an old, tired strategy that sensible people don't fall victim to anymore. Drop it and try to make some reasonable comments on the topic at hand, even if you don't agree that Jimmy Carter was right. Not agreeing is a perfectly reasonable position.

Tim Reynolds

8. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And another cow flew by. What a ridiculous statement.

9. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He was right about that? U.S. oil dependence has not increased since 1977?

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just who is it that opposes drilling anywhere?

Just who is it that opposes creating more refineries?

Just who is it that opposes nuke plants?

All these are needful resources for energy and the lack of them has resulted in our current energy situation.

In the end if you don't like my posts put me on ignore. Strange though... there are a number of people who claim not to be liberal on this board but get awfully upset when liberals are revealed for their ungodly agenda's

11. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really is amazing, is it not???:applause::thumbs:

12. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    * Emphasis mine.

This is Step # 2. If the LIBERAL label doesn't work, slap the UNGODLY label on them.

Tim Reynolds

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have a choice Tim. You can follow me around the board stressing over this or you can ignore my posts.

14. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Surely you don't think that being against drilling, refineries and nuclear energy constitutes being "ungodly" do you?

BTW, I am a democrat and I am for drilling more oil wells, building more refineries, and creating more nuclear energy. You see, we are not all alike.

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Naa..... adressing tow separate issues.

Not all Dems are libs. I do not make that distinction clear enough at times.

16. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

That was only if we followed a rational program of developing alternatives like coal gasification, oil shale, and tar sands. We (Reagan) chose not to do that so our dependence continues to increase and we make up excuses for occupying the Middle Eastern oil fields.

17. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Define liberal.

18. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Refining gasoline from coal (if that's what you meant) is a much more complex and expensive operation than refining from crude oil. Therefore hollering for more drilling and more refineries only when demand is exceeding supply is illogical. If there hasn't been a refinery built in 30 years (as I read), that puts the blame on 5 presidents and 15 Congresses. Instead they've all just blocked certain of our own oil-rich areas from production.

But I won't say this is all bad. Cheap fuel leads to irresponsiblity and creating a way of life that cannot be supported forever. But apparently it will take 10, or maybe 15 or 20, dollars per gallon gasoline to make people drive sparingly, slowly, and only with necessity. Snobbery-- luxary cars and big SUV's over economy cars-- is a hard thing to give up, as a certain rich man who talked to Jesus revealed. Somehow things will change. But in the meantime, I have been making thousands buying and selling penny-stock oil companies, and I expect another payday tomorrow; on Friday the market usually rallies, making it a sell day.

19. YOUTUBECANBESAVED

YOUTUBECANBESAVED New Member

20. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

OR YOU CAN STOP BLAMING EVERYTHING THAT GOES WRONG IN THE WORLD ON LIBERALS WHO YOU CAN'T EVEN DEFINE.