1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was Jonah a blackslider

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you consider Jonah to be a backslider?

Open for discusion

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salty, how would you define backslide? I found it defined these ways online:

Dictionary.com:
    Billy Graham:
    Easton Illustrated Bible Dictionary:
    GotQuestions.Org:
    I consider he did, as I usually think of backsliding and as most Baptists use the term -- he moved away from God in sin and disobedience. If used in the sense of some -- fall away from the faith -- then no. He had faith in God to do what Jonah did not want God to do -- forgive the Ninevehites!

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Vizio

Vizio Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. He disobeyed God's command. For a time he tried to run from God. Ironically it was because he knew the merciful nature of God and that God would relent on his punishment of Nineveh.

4. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He was under a different covenant and it would be an anachronism to hold him to modern standards.

5. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, we don't know much of anything about Jonah's life before the word of the Lord came to him.

I'm not sure if we should call him a backslider if we don't know how he was living previously.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was Jonah a blackslider?

His particular swimming style didn't matter; he sunk way, way down.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Saw on a church sign this morning:

8. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    JohnDeereFan, could you explain why you think speaking of backsliding is applying another covenant to his situation? For example, the word is used several times under the covenant of the law in the Old Testament. Would you say that we are using the word differently? Thanks.

Most of what we know about Jonah is from the prophetic book of that title. His mention in the New Testament confirms the historicity of the account and uses Jonah's plight as prophetic of the resurrection. Matthew 12:41 might suggest he was in some sense "great," but that is probably reading too much into it. The other time that Jonah is mentioned in the Old Testament (other than the book of Jonah), he is called God's servant:
    He seems to have been close enough to the Lord, as his prophet, to understand that the reason that God was sending him to Nineveh was to warn the Ninevehites towards repentance -- yet far enough away from his heart to not desire the same thing the Lord desired. We certainly have to make some inferences from the limited information we have, but for myself I take it in Jonah's favor -- that he was probably a prophet of reasonable standing when God called him to go to Nineveh.

9. Linda Davis

Linda Davis New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jonah had a lapse of reasoning when he allowed his prejudice to cloud his judgement.

• Agree Agree x 1