1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was Judas "predestined" By God To Betray Jesus?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Brother Jeremy Slone

John 6:70 Jesus answered them. Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil?

Christ chose judas for the purpose to betray him. For the son of man must suffer these things.

The way I see and understand it is like this. God did not purpose Adam to eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. But God permitted him to eat of it for a purpose. Jesus was preordained to be the Saviour of God's people.

Joseph's Brothers Sold him because they hated him and meant it for evil but the all wise and knowing God meant it for good. For their betraying of Joseph brought them salvation from the plague.

God is Sovereign and is in control of all things. He can purpose, permit, and prevent. Ephesians 1:11 .....who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will: The God who knows all things, Has all power, and is everywhere present needs not man to work his will. Nor is God the author of confusion but can permit Satan and evils of man for his own purpose. Though they are accountable for their evil. Daniel 4:35 And all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing: and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou?

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I don't remember the name of the preacher who said this, but he very well could have borrowed it from Spurgeon.

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I'd like to ask someone to exegete the verses I quoted in Post #9.

I'd like to ask again for someone to explain how God can exercise his will in every area and make it happen, but is too puny for make a human being conform to his will--and must act only by reacting to human choices.

I ask again, can God only foreknow, and not decree with regard to human actions?

4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps God has explicit plans that He actively makes happen and perhaps He also knows everything that is going to happen but doesn't necessarily intervene.

Did God decree that I would have Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal for breakfast? I would say no, but I would say that He knew I would eat it.

5. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

God ALWAYS can decree/directly cause whatever He wants to occur, but has "built into" His plans some latitiude of "allowance" for things to happen, but he ALWAYS has perfect foreknowledge whether he causes/allows!

#25 JesusFan, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2011
  6. allinall

allinall New Member

Ordained, but not predestined.