1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was Luther born again?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Dec 6, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

What do you think? Is he in heaven?
    I read that he hated the jews. How can he be a christian and hate the jews?
    Was he simply misled?

2. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Yes, he was born again. No, he did not hate the Jews. Yes, he was angry with the Jews because they were trying to convert Christians.

3. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Though not reformed, I am quite found of Luther. I would've desired that he abandoned certain Catholic doctrines and become a Baptist but nevertheless, I believe he took a stand for God and His Word and held nothing back for the sake of political correctness.

Today, anyone who speaks against the Jews and their doctrines is automatically labeled as being a "Jew-Hater". Notice, that the same does not apply to people who speak out against Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus or even Christians for that matter. How often are Jews labeled as being anti-Christian or anti-Christ for their blasphemous works contained in the Talmud?

Luther spoke strongly against the Jews in a book called "The Jews and their lies." I imagine this is why he gets labeled as being a hater of Jews.

Before someone declares me of being a Jew hater, for the record, I love the Jews for it is through them that the Old Testament was given. I love the Jews for it is they (or at least some of them) who will one day realize how they wounded our Saviour in the house of His friends. Finally, I love the Jews for I am instructed to love my enemy, for it is they that are currently an enemy of Jesus Christ and thus an enemy of those who follow Christ.

This is just my $.02 and I do not desire to engage in a fiery debate over this. The only thing that gets people more emotional then the Jew issue is telling them what the Bible says about hair and pants on women. I do encourage reading Luther's book and investigating the contents of the Talmud for it has quite a few things on the Qu'ran when it comes to heinous instruction.

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

What did your mentor say?

5. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

Trying to convert Christians? Would this be Jewish Christians?
    Ever since the Temple was destroyed, Judaism has not been into proselytizing Gentiles. There are a few groups today, such as the Lubavitcher Noahites, and they are not trying to convert Gentiles to full Judaism, but to Noachianism, which is just the Seven Laws, as well as rejecting Jesus as a false god. And even they are not that common.

I always got the impression that Luther was angry at the Jews for not being converted to Christianity (i.e. "stiff-necked", etc), as well as for crucifying Christ (following after the RCC on that point.)

6. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Which book(s) does Luther have? Does he have something like a diary?

7. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

At the time the Jewish people in the German states were seeking to steal people away from the Church. Luther was not happy about the refusal to convert but it was the prostelyzing that broke the camels back.

8. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

I didn't know about this.

9. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

The Jewish people are getting too much mileage out of Luther's rant in garnering sympathy for their plight caused by the Nazis for them to be willing to admit that maybe their ancestors did something to cause the rant.

Besides do you think the worldly media wants to give people the chance to seriously concider one of the greatest proclaimers of the Gospel? Hardly, they want people to disregard him as an antisemite and thus not listen to the Gospel he so boldly proclaimed.

10. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

Yes.

I don't know. I wasn't there. I'll have to read what he wrote. He did a great job of translating the entire bible, wouldn't you say?

Who knows? Was he misled? We have to study Luther. It won't be a spiritual quest, like studying the bible is. If you haven't read him, it will take some time. Block out a couple of weekends.

11. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Yes, but that is just my opinion. At the end of the day only God knows where Luther is at and we don't.

==That was a major failure in the life of Luther, no doubt. However believers can (and do) fall into sin. That does not, within itself, show that Luther was certainly not saved.

I encourage you to read "Here I Stand" by Roland Bainton. It is said to be one of the best biographies of Luther out there (and having read others, I agree). Bainton does deal with this issue (pgs 296-298).

Bainton makes a fair point...

"One could wish that Luther had died before ever this tract was written. Yet one must be clear as to what he was recommending and why. His position was entirely religious and in no respect racial. The supreme sin for him was the persistent rejection of God's revelation of Himself in Christ..."

Now I would advise you to read historians who have studied all aspects of Luther's life. These boards are filled with many fine people who have opinions but have not done the hard homework. That is why I am pointing you to Bainton, he studied Luther's life in detail. I am certainly no Luther scholar.

12. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

A couple of weekends :laugh: try a couple of months :laugh: Luther's published works number over 52 volumes. Needless to say Luther was a prolific author. I recommend the Bondage of the Will, its deep but very eye opening read.