1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was Man Created Mortal?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, Oct 22, 2007.

1. bound

bound New Member

We don't need to take his words as "Gospel"... :laugh:

Seriously though Cyril wasn't so heavily enfluenced by Platonism as some of the 'others' coming out of the Alexandrian School. Could you tell me what you don't like about Cyrils quote?

#41 bound, Nov 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2007
  2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

This verse is pulled way out of context. It comes from the Mosaic law, almost a millenia and a half after Adam. It has nothing to do with Adam as being the head of the Adamic race.

This verse comes from Ezekiel, another verse quoted out of context. The context is the fall of Adam, not judgement on the sin of Israel or the sins of mankind in general.

If we stop his sentence here, he is correct. We have become sinners because of Adams disobedience--period. This is what is taught in Romans 5:12,19.
    He surrendered nothing. all of that was a consequence of his rebellion against God. God said: "In the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die." Adam ate. Adam died--both physically, and spiritually, though his death was prolonged it was the degeneration of the body that set in and it slowly decayed until death finally ocurred. That is the second law of Thermodynamics which God set in motion at that time.
    This statement is ambiguous. Adam's nature did not contradict "the disease of sin." Our inherited sin nature is contrary to doing good, so that we automatically do evil. David said that we do evil (lie) as soon as we be born (Psalm 58:3) BTW to call sin a disease is a modern philosophy where one doesn't call sin, sin anymore, but a disease to make it less offensive. Apparently Cyril seems to be doing the same thing.
    They inherited the same nature of Adam.

Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

Call sin for what it is; but it is not simply a weakness. Cyril was from the school of Alexandria which was permeated wity Greek philosophy and no doubt was influenced by it.
    ~ Cyril of Alexandria: Explanation of the Letter to the Romans. (Migne PG 74 cols. 788–89)​

3. bound

bound New Member

Grace and Peace DHK,

Ah, the other side....

I believe it is fair to say that our good Cyril is enfluenced by the Alexandrian School. If you've been keeping up with several threads I've been discussing this with Heavenly Pilgrim for a few days now. I'm very familiar with the Alexandrian Schools Neo-Platonist enfluences but what I would say is that it is only an error when such enfluences draw them from a normative interpretation of the Scriptures. For example, if not for Athanaisus and his deep knowledge of Hellenism coupled with his reliance and trust in the Scriptures he wouldn't have been capable of articulating the Doctrine of the Trinity against the error of those who allowed Hellenist Philosophy to dictate Scripture (i.e. Arianism). If Greek was Christian, it would most surely be Arianism but such a claim cannot blind us to the debt we surely have to those early Fathers of the Faith who 'purified' their Hellenist Education with the 'Word of God' to express it's truths to the Gentiles. Amen!

With regard to your criticism of Cyril, I will only say that a applaud the gentile Father for his words and I believe it fair to say they are an honest struggle 'in the Faith'. If you do an exhaustive study of Patristics, you will find that they rarely care about 'context' especially concerning matters of morality and ethics as they did not think God used 'situational ethics'. Do you?

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

This I know of the ECF.
    They (as a whole) had many strange and aberrant doctrines.
    As a whole, they did not agree with each other on many doctrines.
    In general I put my trust in the Word of God and not the word of man--whoever that man may be.
    And probably most important of all, The RCC uses the ECF as a defence for much of their aberrant and unscriptural doctrine. If that be so, then by default the writings of the ECF must not be too Scriptural. I thus stay away from them and stick with the Scriptures instead.

5. bound

bound New Member

You never did answer my question... Do you believe God is arbitrary in His exercise of 'moral and ethical' matter? Is there any value in examining situations throughout the Scriptures where God mine have revealed the inner working of his moral or ethical processes?

When you say you put your trust in the Word of God and not in the word of man. From whom did you learn your exegesis from? Men at Sunday School? Baptists, by there distinction, teach a tradition of exegesis. Perhaps, you and I, might agree that it would appear to be the most reasonable but even then we draw from two distinct emphasis's within the the Greater Baptist Tradition (you are Calvinist and I am Arminian). Thus the whole of the history of Christianity has been a pairing down within the Greater Tradition as a whole. I have no problem examining the evidence of that Greater Tradition and testing everything even my own Traditions presuppositions.

#45 bound, Nov 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2007
  6. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

I have a question for any or all of those that believe Adam was created as immortal before the fall.

Scripture states that that which is seen is temporal and that which is not seen is eternal. Was Adam a ghost before he fell?

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Where does it say that?
    Jesus could be seen and he was and is eternal.

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

God is sovereign, and thus not arbitrary in anything that he does. He, by his foreknowledge and omniscience knows the end from the beginning. He is both moral and ethical. There is always value in examining the Scriptures no matter what the situation is, even if concerns how God may or may not have revealed the inner working of his moral and ethical processes.
    Some things to keep in mind:
    How can a finite mind understand an infinite God.
    His ways are higher than our ways.
    His thoughts are higher than our thoughts.
    The secret things belong unto the Lord.
    There are some things that we will never know, but that shouldn't keep us from studying the Scriptures.
    Exegesis is technical. It doesn't really matter where I learned it from. It is a way of examing the Scripture. I could have learned it from a Presbyterian or a Baptist, and it wouldn't have made much difference. It is technical in nature.
    Now you are talking of Bible study in general. When I study the Bible, I study the passage first, prayerfully. If their are words that I want to study or know more about I will consult the Greek, or books that will tell me more about them, no matter what their background is--Anglican, Presbyterian, Methodist, Baptist, etc. I will progress to further Bible study to get an overall picture of the passage. I will consult a number of commentaries. Some will be fundamental Baptist, but others will not. Albert Barnes is a good help, but he wasn't a Baptist. That is only an example.
    The only place Tradition comes in is either illustrative or historical. For example it is tradition that tells us that the Apostle Thomas went to India and was martyred for his faith.
    History is a small part of exposition if it has any part at all.
    I don't rely on tradition. I expound the Word of God. It is my authority. Sometimes I don't need any help from any other book--commentary, etc. The Bible is all sufficient. Why shouldn't it be. Many times I have preached a sermon without consulting any other source but the Bible. Perhaps we need more of that, and certainly less of going to the ECF. What saith the Lord?

9. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: I did not say that Adam was a ghost, I simply asked a question.

Forgive me. I should have made my question clearer. I should have asked whether or not the flesh in which he was created was mortal or immortal.

Certainly Christ was immortal, and so are we in a spiritual sense, but God placed us, and even Christ for a time, in a physical body. My point is that only those things which cannot be seen are immortal, just as we cannot see the soul of man. If we can see them, Scripture tells us that whatever we see is temporal, i.e., that which will not remain in that visible state nor can it if it is to endure for eternity.

Adam was created in a physical body that we can see. Now I know Bound is going to want me to disclose my source so I will accommodate that wish.:) Logic, not some heathen idea held by someone or anyone or no one in the past, would tell me that the physical body God created for man was indeed temporal by design. I see nothing in Scripture that would contradict that notion in the least. As I have stated in the past, had Adam not sinned, physical death as we know it would not have happened no doubt, for God could have simply translated his physical body as God did for Enoch or Elijah. God is not limited to physical death as the means by which to change that which is temporal into that which is eternal or immortal.

Even if there was no physical death as we know it, it would not neccesitate the idea that the physical body was designed to live forever.

#49 Heavenly Pilgrim, Nov 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2007
  10. bound

bound New Member

Adam was the creation of a God of limitless perfection. Adam thus 'was Perfect'. As death was a product of sin, Adam was created outside of such a state of change or decay as would be defined as 'mortal' (i.e. one that dies).

Death is separation from God, and spiritual death is spiritual separation from God, Isaiah said, "Your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not heart" (Isa. 59:2). The instant Adam sinned, he experienced spiritual isolation from God; this is evidenced by his shame and his hiding from his Creator.

Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves. Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the Lord God among the trees of the garden. - Gen. 3:7-8

Every descendant of Adam - every person born of natural parents since the Fall - is spiritually dead as well.

As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins... [We who are saved have been] made... alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions - it is by grace you have been saved.
    - Eph. 2:1,5

Thus, Jesus said to Nicodemus,

I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again... No one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. You should not be surprised at my saying, "You must be born again" - John 3:3, 5-7

The new birth of which Jesus speaks is the act of regeneration, whereby God imparts spiritual life to the believer's soul )1 Peter 1:23). Paul says of this,

He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Saviour, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life. - Titus 3:5-7

Without this regeneration, every human being is spiritually dead in sin.

11. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: You cannot create moral perfection, for morality denotes choice. You can create one that is neither sinful nor holy with perfect natural propensities, but that is not perfectly holy either. One can be said to be perfectly holy or possessing moral perfection only after one chooses to form intents in a benevolent fashion. At that moment and up until sin is formed, one can be said to be perfect ‘morally.’ Until the point of forming ones first intent of benevolence, one can only say perfect in the sense of being created with a ‘moral capacity’ and with all the requisite abilities that go to make up that moral capacity, like the possibility of contrary choice, some intuitive knowledge as to what is required of them etc.

HP: You beg the question. Where is your proof that the flesh of Adam was created to live forever? Even outside of the ‘state of decay’ you mention, he was still created in a physical mortal shell, and that physical shell was temporal in nature for it was material. If you believe otherwise, let me ask you directly. Was the body of Adam like that of a ghost which could not be seen, or was it visible with ones physical eyes? If you could see him, God says that it was designed and created as temporal and as such must undergo change at some point and time even if death might not be the means of that change. Translation might well be the means has sin not taken place.

HP: I wonder just how well you are listening to the verse you quote? Notice what separates one from god. It is not the nature we are born in, and it is not ‘necessarily because of any rejection of a cure for sin that one might not even had the opportunity to hear about, but it is ones “sins” that separate one from their God. Speaking of a great text on the cause of separation between God and man…...

HP: I agree.

HP: I agree.

HP: For one that likes to see Scriptural support for the notions they hold, this one is indeed lacking any support that I can see. Could you give us the verse that states any such thing? Please do not bother with giving us Ps 51:5 which David speaks in the first person and of the sinful way in which he was conceived by his mother, and forget Ps 58 which is making a clear distinction of the righteous as opposed to wicked judges. They do not render you any help for your assertion that all are born spiritually dead. You will have to try and find one that really says clearly what you claim Scripture states. No presuppositions allowed. :)

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

What gives you the notion that David was born in a sinful manner, out of wedlock or in any other manner. God himself ordained marriage. He said that it was holy. Do we go against what God has said? How was David speaking of his sinful way in which he was conceived by his mother?

13. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wow, I'm once again impressed by DHK's understandings. The rest of you too. There seems always to be areas we can't agree on, and that just seems to be the way it is. For instance treating the two trees as completely symbolic. I have to look into that. I can see a case for that for the tree of the knowledge, but not yet the TOL.
    Much food for thought and study.

14. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Or we could just accept scripture.

Eve really ate from the real tree of knowledge of good and evil.

God really kicked Adam and Eve out of the real Garden and stated that they were really to be denied access to the real tree of life.

God really created the world in 6 real days and really sanctified the Seventh-day.

Adam was really created sinless and called "the son of God" -Luke 3 (as in family relationship not ontologically God as is the case with Christ)

It is so much easier just to believe the text.

in Christ,

Bob

15. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Scripture plainly stated by David in Psalms 51:5 taken at face value.

HP: Not all marriages are ordained by God. Some marriages were clearly forbidden for the Jew. We have clear examples of some in the OT that when they got right with God they had to dissolve such forbidden marriages.

HP: What do you mean by ‘how?’ There would obviously be more than one way to be conceived in sin. The important thing is to just believe the testimony of Scripture that he was. It is not necessary to know all the sinful details or God would have given them to us. God simply saw fit to record that there was sin involved on the part of his mother in the conception of David. I simply accept that as the truth and at face value.

16. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: I missed that verse BR. Scripture clearly indicates Christ was genetically connected to his father Joseph by two clear and distinct genealogies, and Scripture also tells us tha He took upon himself the ‘seed’ of Abraham. That is a physical connection BR. Christ was genetically a man with genetic ties to Abraham. Just the same, He was God manifest in the flesh, and was conceived by the Holy Spirit in the womb of Mary.

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

That is not what it states in Psalms 51:5. That is your interpretation thereof.

Then you haven't answered my question. How was the birth of David? Please show through the Scriptures how the marriage of David's parents was sinful or how the birth of David was sinful. If you cannot do that then you are reading into the Scripture something that is not there, and obviously misinterpreting Psalm 51:5.

Consider:
    Ruth 4:17 And the women her neighbours gave it a name, saying, There is a son born to Naomi; and they called his name Obed: he is the father of Jesse, the father of David.

And from David came the Messiah. The full lineage is recorded in Matthew chapter one. God promised that the Messiah would sit on David's Throne. How could this be possible if David had a sinful birth as you say? If that had happened he would have been cast out of his family, and rejected by his brethren as Jehphthah was:

Judges 11:1-2 Now Jephthah the Gileadite was a mighty man of valour, and he was the son of an harlot: and Gilead begat Jephthah. And Gilead's wife bare him sons; and his wife's sons grew up, and they thrust out Jephthah, and said unto him, Thou shalt not inherit in our father's house; for thou art the son of a strange woman.
    Yes, how? The Scriptures don't say, because he wasn't. We are only going on your word here, not the Scripture. Demonstrate through the Scripture (not your interpretation of this one verse) that David actually born in sin. You are not accepting the facts at face value. You are refusing to study this verse and are only accepting a superficial misunderstanding.

18. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: I will go against my normal procedure and quote a source in this case.
    Psalms 51:5 Ps 51:5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.
    “David, an illegitimate child, but no bastard (if he was a bastard, he could not have sat on the throne) A Perspective on Psalm 51:5
    by William P. Murray, Jr.David had two half-sisters (Zeruiah, Abigail).....:
    1CHR 2:13-16 13 “And Jesse begat his firstborn Eliab, and Abinadab the second, and Shimma the third, 14 Nethaneel the fourth, Raddai the fifth, 15 Ozem the sixth, David the seventh: 16 Whose sisters were Zeruiah, and Abigail. And the sons of Zeruiah; Abishai, and Joab, and Asahel, three. 17 And Abigail bare Amasa: and the father of Amasa was Jether the Ishmeelite.”

....and the father of David's half-sisters was not Jesse, but Nahash:

2Sam 17:25 “And Absalom made Amasa captain of the host instead of Joab: which Amasa was a man's son, whose name was Ithra an Israelite, that went in to Abigail the daughter of Nahash, sister to Zeruiah Joab's mother.”

Nahash, the father of Zeruiah and Abigal, David's half-sisters, was an Ammonite king:

1Sam 11:1 “Then Nahash the Ammonite came up, and encamped against Jabeshgilead: and all the men of Jabesh said unto Nahash, Make a covenant with us, and we will serve thee.”

1Sam 12:12 “And when ye saw that Nahash the king of the children of Ammon came against you, ye said unto me, Nay; but a king shall reign over us: when the LORD your God was your king.”

David's father was Jesse, not Nahash. Zeruiah and Abigal were David's half-sisters through his mother's previous marriage to Nahash. This would also help explain why Nahash showed kindness to David, perhaps out of respect for David's mother, Nahash’s former wife and the mother of two of Nahash's children.

2Sam 10:2 “Then said David, I will shew kindness unto Hanun the son of Nahash, as his father shewed kindness unto me. And David sent to comfort him by the hand of his servants for his father. And David's servants came into the land of the children of Ammon.”

David's mother was most likely the second wife of Jesse, the first wife being the mother of David's half-brothers. Jesse’s first wife's standing before the 'righteousness of the law', (her not having been married to, or the concubine of, a heathen king, as was David’s mother), would have been superior to that of David's mother, and explains why David's half-brothers, Jesse's other sons, would have felt they were superior to David, and why he would be accused of being prideful, for thinking he was as good as them....

1Sam 17:28-30 28 “And Eliab his eldest brother heard when he spake unto the men; and Eliab's anger was kindled against David, and he said, Why camest thou down hither? and with whom hast thou left those few sheep in the wilderness? I know thy pride, and the naughtiness of thine heart; for thou art come down that thou mightest see the battle. 29 And David said, What have I now done? Is there not a cause? 30 And he turned from him toward another, and spake after the same manner: and the people answered him again after the former manner.”

...and why David was not considered, by his father Jesse, as `true' a son as his half-brothers. Samuel had called Jesse and his sons, and thus expected `all' his sons, to the sacrifice (1Sam 16:5,11). Jesse, having been told to bring `his sons' by a prophet of the Lord everyone feared (1Sam 16:4), was confident he had obeyed the prophet, even knowing he did not bring David....

1Sam 16:11 “And Samuel said unto Jesse, Are here all thy children? And he said, There remaineth yet the youngest, and, behold, he keepeth the sheep. And Samuel said unto Jesse, Send and fetch him: for we will not sit down till he come hither.”

....which would be consistent with God's sometimes choosing that which men esteemed as worthless (the `least') to be the greatest: (Gideon- Jud 6:15; King Saul- 1Sam 9:21; Jesus- Mt 2:6, Lk 9:48)

David's mother was apparently a Jewish woman, because `no Ammonite shall enter the congregation of the Lord to the 10th generation’ (Deu 23:3), and yet in PS 86:16 and PS 116:16, David refers to himself as "the son of thy handmaid", which would seem to testify to his mother's relationship with the Lord. David's mother was, in the eyes of Jewish law, considered `defiled' by her previous relationship to an Ammonite.

Nu 25:1,2; De 7:3,4; 1ki 11:2-4, Ezr 9:2; Ne 13:23,25; 2Co 6:14-17"

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

This is a quote from Spurgeon

20. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: David speaks in the first person of the manner in which he himself was conceived.. How do you, Spurgeon, or anyone else extrapolate that into a universal statement concerning a notion that the Jews did not believe in nor was there any parallel in Jewish writings to the Augustinian notion of original sin?