1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was Murtha "swift boated"?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Not_hard_to_find, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I thought this was about Martha Stewart...

3. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Are they suggesting that CREW swiftboated Murtha?
    I thought that CREW was some sort of left-wing propaganda machine.
    You know, the drive-by media....

Regards,
    BiR

#3 Baptist in Richmond, Nov 14, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2006
  4. Baptist in Richmond

Oops, double post...

5. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

So the FBI has videotape of Murtha rejecting an offered bribe, and this means he's corrupt? :confused:

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Did you even read the stories about this Galatian? Murtha was videotaped rejecting an offered bribe "for now" waiting until he had done more business with them. In short, he wanted to guard himself so as not to get caught. You never cease to amaze with the crazy ways you will find to defend Democrats at all costs.

Murtha, aside from being a political hack and an embarrassment to our troops and our nation with his foolish charges against the troops, has severe ethics problems and has had for a long time. This was detailed in the Wall Street Journal today (I think) from a book that has been out for a while.

7. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Come on Pastor Larry. You know that Galatian is always right.

Have you seen his defenses of Bill Clinton? Clinton himself couldn't have done a better job of "explaining the truth" which is really dependent on some fundamental assumptions like whether words really mean what they mean or not....

Murtha's a slime ball. Hastings is worse... and that's only surface deep.

The only way this becomes the most ethical Congress in history is if the fundamental worldview and philosophy of the Dem leaders goes through a wholesale change. This is the part of relativism and the rule of men. They like all of histories other elitist ruling classes will assume the privilege of voiding rules when necessary to accomplish their aims and maintain power.

If the cornerstone of our justice and governing systems, the sovereign oath, means nothing to them... then no mere promise or principle will stand in the way. If you cannot say that perjury no matter the subject or stature of person involved then you can not claim to be a nation governed by Law.

#7 Scott J, Nov 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2006
  8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.opinionjournal.com/diary/?id=110009248

Meet the New Boss
    John Murtha and Congress's "culture of corruption."

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 12:01 a.m. EST

House Speaker-designate Nancy Pelosi's endorsement of Rep. John Murtha for majority leader, the No. 2 position in the Democratic leaderhsip, has roiled her caucus. "She will ensure that they [Mr. Murtha and his allies] win. This is hardball politics," Rep. Jim Moran, a top Murtha ally, told the Hill, a congressional newspaper. "We are entering an era where when the speaker instructs you what to do, you do it."

But several members are privately aghast that Mr. Murtha, a pork-barreling opponent of most House ethics reforms, could become the second most visible symbol of the new Democratic rule. "We are supposed to change business as usual, not put the fox in charge of the henhouse," one Democratic member told me. "It's not just the Abscam scandal of the 1980s that he barely dodged, he's a disaster waiting to happen because of his current behavior," another told me.

SNIP

Melanie Sloan, the liberal head of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, was cheered on by Democrats six weeks ago when she helped reveal the Mark Foley scandal. Now she says that "Ms. Pelosi"s endorsement of Rep. Murtha, one of the most unethical members of Congress, show that she may have prioritized ethics reform merely to win votes with no real commitment to changing the culture of corruption."

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

When a former Marine betrays his loyalty to the Marines in the field of combat, I think he (she) has lost their right to be trusted . . .

Or is this a different former marine?

10. Daisy

Daisy New Member

So 20 years ago, Murtha didn't take a bribe....and this is his huge ethical problem?

11. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Carpro seems scandalized that Murtha refused a bribe. But remember, he and Larry loyally defended DeLay, who took them.

Apparently, turning down a bribe violates the GOP Rules of Acquisition or something.

12. Baptist in Richmond

Here is a Yes/No question, Pastor Larry:
    Did Congressman Murtha accept a bribe?

http://www.helenair.com/articles/2005/11/22/national_top/a01112205_06.txt

Apparently, Bush and Cheney disagree with you, although if you read a little further, former Press Secretary Scott McClellan agrees with your assessment.

Murtha served his country, which is more than many can say.

Hope you are well,
    BiR

13. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

His statements have not been against our glorious armies but rather against the emperor.

14. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

It was 26 years ago ... :D ... Get it right.

But the issue, seriously, is the reason he didn't take the bribe. He wanted to make sure it wasn't a sting operation. When you read the conversation, he apparently did not want to take the bribe until he had done so business with them to make sure they were legit.

Now is it an ethical problem when the reason someone doesn't take a bribe is because they want to make sure the briber isn't a government agent?

You bet ... at least in my world where honesty and integrity is important.

And this is apparently not Murtha's only problem.

15. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I think you are making stuff up. I did not defend Delay that I know of. I don't even know exactly what Delay is accused of. I think I said we should wait til the evidence is fully known. That is a fairly frequent refrain of mine, no matter what side the issue is.

I know that is foreign to your way of thinking, but that is where we are different. I believe in honesty and fairness.

16. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Why didn't he accept the bribe? Would you think a guy who tries to hire someone to kill his wife is okay simply because he didn't succeed? Murtha refused the bribe temporarily to find out if the people were legitimate, apparently. I find that extremely distasteful. I find that crooked. If you disagree, then fine. Murtha appears dirty, and the evidence seems pretty clear on this. It is not limited to ABSCAM. Why defend him?

Wouldnt be the first time. We disagree quite often.

And that is excellent. But that doesn't give him a free pass now.

17. Baptist in Richmond

You didn't answer my yes/no question. You have offered a "straw man" in the analogy of "a guy who tries to hire someone to kill his wife." Murtha didn't hire the people who attempted to bribe him. What is the answer to my yes/no question?

Well, that is a fair statement.

Again, you didn't answer my yes/no question.

Hope you have/had a great day (depending upon what time you read this),
    BiR

#17 Baptist in Richmond, Nov 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2006
  18. TomMann

TomMann New Member

I think quite often it is appropriate to stop, take a deep breath, and read Psalm 37 and realize that everything is still in the firm control of our Heavenly Father. When what we see frets us..... God says Fret Not!!!!!!

I believe that Murtha is of questionable character at best...... but then I find many of you who post here to be just as questionable...

19. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

If you think it's "questionable character" to turn down a bribe, I can understand why you'd think some of us are of questionable character.

We'll just have to disagree on that point.

20. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Murtha's intent was clear to all but the blindest and most biased. He just wanted to make sure his tracks were covered.

"The undercover FBI agent in the meeting then spoke up and said "You give us the banks where you want the money deposited."
    "All right" Mr. Murtha responded. "How much money we talking about?"