1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was Paul Crucified for you? (1Cor 1:13)

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by skypair, Oct 28, 2007.

1. skypair

skypair Active Member

Y'all,

One of our divisive, "puffed up" brethren has asked that I apologize for using the phrase "Did Calvin die for you?"

He/she does not seem to remember that Paul said the same thing to the Corinthians with the same thing in mind -- "Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. 13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?" 1Cor 1:12-13

This "I am of Calvin" thing is dividing the body of Christ and making real believers a spectacle before those who have not Christ right here at BB. Is Christ God? Is He divided? Or are His children claiming more than one way to salvation -- through Christ or through Calvin? "For who maketh thee to differ from another?" (1Cor 4:7)

Which is the Way? Hear, believe, repent, regenerated (Acts 2:38)? or regenerated, hear, believe, repent (Calvinism)? "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you;" (1:10) Are you, indeed, born again/spiritual/indwelt before you even hear the gospel? Is there really nothing required of you in salvation? Then you must be claiming a gospel, "good news," I have not found in the Bible.

"Therefore let no man glory in men." (1Cor 3:21)

"that ye might learn in us not to think of men above that which is written, that no one of you be puffed up for one against another." (1Cor 4:6)

There's a lot of talk in 1Cor 1-4 about "wise men" -- none of it flattering. May I suggest that we disregard their theories (in which they have NOT answered the most important questions regarding salvation) and just follow Jesus? We ought to be growing in Christ, "not laying again the foundations of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God." (Heb 6:1) And especially, we ought to not be puffed up one against another. Shame on you!

skypair

2. npetreley

npetreley New Member

It's obvious you don't have a clue as to why you were asked to apologize.

3. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

humm

This is not how you apologize. You need to remove pride and ask forgiveness. God will forgive and others will also, if you mean it.

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You are about as puffed up as anyone I have ever seen on this board. You do not show a spirit of learning in any of your posts, but seem to think you have all the answers and we should all learn from you.

One can believe the doctrines of grace without ever having read a word of Calvin or even know who he is.

You should get the log out of your own eye before trying to remove the speck in someone elses.

I find this latest post of yours to be very offensive and lacking in Christian love.

I hope you will pray and reconsider your judgemental attitude.

5. russell55

russell55 New Member

If anyone here was claiming to be "of Calvin," and was divisive over it in their local church, then you might have a point. But I don't know why you'd think that, and how you'd know, anyway.

And you'll notice that Paul admonishes those who claim to be "of Christ", too. So anyone who says, "Well, you're a Calvinist, but I'm just a follower of Jesus" in a way that is divisive in the local church would come under Paul's admonition as well.

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

:BangHead: :BangHead:

7. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

:BangHead: :BangHead:

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

It is beyond belief that both sides cannot respect the other view and go on in the fellowship of Christian love.

What is the going hobby now days? Double the number of denominations from what we have managed since Acts 2?

Skypair, only you could get both Calvinists and free will people angry at you in 7 posts of one thread.

#8 saturneptune, Oct 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2007
  9. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinists and Arminians and everyone else in between here have been debating the merits and demerits of both theologies sometimes heatedly sometimes jestingly but never with an attitude of simmering hate until you came along with your "humble" observations and "lowly" admonitions to learn from you, skypair.

You keep insulting brethren here with your statements that Calvinists follow Calvin and not Christ.

We can learn better from each other without you around, you know.

All you need to do is forget Baptist Board exists, we'll miss you, but eventually we'll get used to your absence.

10. skypair

skypair Active Member

Shouldn't we first determine who was "puffed up" and who was speaking truth?

skypair

11. skypair

skypair Active Member

I have posted a lot. It is clear to me that you haven't taken into account the posts where I have acquiesced to others assertions -- how I have tried mightily to find common ground. You are reacting based on "15 minutes of fame." Please go back and judge yourself and not me.

skypair

12. skypair

skypair Active Member

Russ -- I come here on a regular basis and I find that Calvinists are preaching that salvation is of Calvinism. Christ is "ancillary" to the discussion as long as we realize that "ye must be ELECT" -- God is totally sovereign and you have NOTHING to do with His decisions -- and we Calsinists know the truth, you free willers don't.

Ryrie comments on that -- they "flaunted their liberty in Christ." If you find that to be the case with me, I apologize and will make amends.

skypair

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I have been reading your posts for over a year now and your disdain for Calvinists is quite apparent and IMHO you should show some Christian charity.
    I mean no disrespect, but quite frankly I don't understand most of your posts and that's why I don't usually respond to them. Your theology and mine seem to be quite different. And that's ok, let's just show mutual respect in spite of our differences. :)

14. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I find that I think I understand skypair's posts better after an accidental overdose of NyQuil. I suspect pyschadelic drugs would work even better.

15. russell55

russell55 New Member

It's easy enough to throw out general charges like that, but very irresponsible unless you can back up your claims with specific examples.

1. Find me one post here at the Baptist Board where someone who is calvinistic claims that salvation is of Calvinism.

2. Find me one posts here at the Baptist Board where someone who is calvinistic says that salvation is not grounded in Christ's work alone. I myself have repeated over and over to you that salvation and election are not the same thing, and that anyone who is saved is saved only through the application of Christ's work.

3. Find one post here at the Baptist Board where someone who is calvinistic says that the answer to the question "What must I do to be saved?" is "Ye must be elect!"

If you can't do it, I call on you to retract your irresponsible claims.

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Skypair is the Grand Poohpah of all things theologically correct , in his estimation . Who puts all that starch in his shirts ?

I have to keep a more accurate record , but I think he refers to John Calvin much more than Calvinism . Of course he doesn't represent either fairly . He can be told facts about both scores of times , but he keeps asserting the same ole' charges . And by facts , I mean facts . One is certainly free to disagree with the views of John Calvin and Calvinists in general ( not identical BTW ) , but to deliberately persist in misrepresentation is a sorry affair . I'm usually without the energy to refute his consistent nonsense .

17. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

No, I didn't ask you to apologize - I asked that you repent. And I still do.

You have yet to make a case against anyone here that they are being divisive for simply holding to a certain doctrine or theology which some nickname calvinism, or what I like to call sovereign grace and election. I could just as easily call you divisive for holding to non-calvinism or free will. No I won't do that, but I will call you divisive because you are divisive in how you approach and conduct yourself in this debate. I think that is evident for all to see. There are many, many non-calvinists here that are not divisive, but you are not one of them.

18. skypair

skypair Active Member

Disdain for CALVINISM, Amy, not for Calvinists. I don't embrace false theology. Some don't like that and take it personally. This thread is an example -- people blame me for comparing them to those who are divisive here to those in 1Cor 1:13. I still don't see anyone "attacking" the scriptures or the problem itself -- just the messenger.

skypair

19. skypair

skypair Active Member

20. skypair

skypair Active Member

AndyT,

That last post didn't format like I wanted. I repent. I think most Baptists should for seeming to speak for God when they present convicting messages. Baptists call it "hard preaching" and many people don't like it --- get uncomfortable and don't come back.

But you raise the issue of who is "puffed up." The Bible says it is those who would divide us among various personalities. I've seen the same thing in the focus on the life of Adrian Rogers before he passed. It was to the level of "worship" and those who supported it were "puffed up" in their wisdom.

Read 1Cor 4:7 -- (my paraphrase) For who makes thee to differ from another? It's some man that you "follow."

and what hast thou that thou didst not receive from Christ ? T-U-L-I-P, new definitions of God's sovereignty, all, sin nature, election, etc.

now if thou didst receive it if you really did receive it from Christ, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it by saying you received it from some man?

1Cor 4:14 -- "I write not these things to shame you, but as my beloved sons I warn you. 15 For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers..." Most Calvinists were "birthed" with a free will-based gospel they now, basically, reject. So who is your father --- Calvinism or men??

"Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me." God and Paul are "jealous" for believers to not be led astray by well-meaning but errant teachers.

skypair