1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was sin foreordained and pre-determined by God

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Robert Snow, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dont disagree with scripture....I disagree with you. And do not tell me how I got saved, I consider it questioning my salvation.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have faith....it came as a result of grace.(sola gratia)

#82 Earth Wind and Fire, Nov 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2011
  3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I'm sitting here listening to R.C. Sproul on tv and he just said "the ONLY way to be saved is to possess the righteousness of Christ, which is imputed by faith".
    I totally agree, even though I'm not a Calvinist as is Mr. Sproul.

So please tell us EWF, how did you get the righteousness of Christ imputed to you before you had faith?

I would love to read your testimony.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its on here a few times.....go back to the archives. And yes you do need faith but not before Grace....that Im positive he (RC ) would also identify. Any Calvinist would insist that salvation is by grace alone but of course your saying its gotta be by divine grace PLUS effort--thats what your non calvinistic theology try's to encourage. Good luck with that!

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

It is the bible that is disagrees with you. No one gets saved without faith. I am glad that you finally came to faith and got saved, but no one gets saved before they have faith.
    EPH. 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God:
    There are no exceptions, not even you. No faith, no salvation.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Sorry. Could you repost it? All I have seen is you saying that you were saved and then you had faith. And you are wrong that non-cals add to grace. We are not Catholic. Please....let it go. :rolleyes:

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah come on....are you denying that your theological moorings insist that divine sovereignty must somehow be accommodated to human capability? Election & reprobation to you folks are not divine decrees; they are based on human choices. The efficacy of atonement does not rest on Christ's saving work alone but on the sinner's faith & repentance, i.e., although God's grace is attractive & persuasive, it is not powerful enough to triumph over those who stubbornly resist His love. Therefore your kind would just relegate someone like me to hell....correct?

#87 Earth Wind and Fire, Nov 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2011
  8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

For some reason you seem to think you are special. Your sins are no greater then anyone else's and the salvation that God offers others is the same as He offers you. Everyone has to come the same way. By repentance and faith and God will save them. There is no other way to come.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ahhhh yea I do, dont you? so tell me FAL how did the apostle Paul get regenerated?

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Guess Charles Spurgeon thought he was pretty special too! :smilewinkgrin:

When you say, "Can God make me become a Christian?" I tell you yes, for herein rests the power of the gospel. It does not ask your consent; but it gets it. It does not say, "Will you have it?" but it makes you willing in the day of God's power....The gospel wants not your consent, it gets it. It knocks the enmity out of your heart. You say, I do not want to be saved; Christ says you shall be. He makes our will turn round, and then you cry,"'Lord save, or I perish!"

11. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

I didn't say that nor think that either. I'm not denying there is much mystery and unseen aspects in our faith, but as you said we have a lot of fact to rest our faith in as well. good point. Just to be sure you didn't mistake me for partaking in personal attacks here is my exact statement:

"Righteous dude,

I hate to say this but I disagree with your theory .

Sounds like the excuse, "billions of religions in the world and its outright arrogant to claim you have the answer!"

No offense "

All I said was it sounds like the excuse. I didn't say it sounds like an arrogant excuse.

As hard as it is I do my best not to pick teams or make enemies although it is challenging hehe :)

12. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey now! There's nothing wrong with wanting to be the poster-child for L. L. Bean! :)

One should aspire to such heights!

The Archangel

13. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Yall need to quit playin' around with the LL Bean and Bass Pro Shops junk and get into some real "man clothes" over at www.filson.com. You were predestined for the best. :thumbsup:

14. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a problem here. First, translation is not supposed to be about interpretation (although, inevitably, some interpretation does happen). But, the translators' main task is to bring the original language into the new language. So, when translating a passage, such as this one, the other passages should not be brought to bear. This is not to say, however, that in interpretation--after the translation--other passages should not be brought to bear.

I think you're confusing translation and interpretation.

But, I also have to ask how do you suggest this passage be translated?

I agree--it is dangerous to base any one doctrine on just one verse (hence, things like snake handling should not be practiced, etc.).

But, as far as election is concerned, Acts 13:48 is not the only verse. Election is interwoven through the pages of scripture from Genesis 1 to Revelation 22.

In fact, Genesis is full of God's electing purposes. Do we really think that Jacob, for instance, was Mr.-Believer-Guy when God chose him? It is quite the contrary. Almost everything suggests that the better choice would have been Esau (though neither of the boys were believers; Jacob would certainly become one later).

How about Exodus? Are we to think that Moses was everything a believer should have been? Not in the least. Of course he murdered the Egyptian, but even when God appeared to him at the burning bush, Moses' faith was quite in doubt.

So, faith in Moses' life and faith in Jacob's life came as a result of God's electing purpose.

I could go on. I won't. I think these two examples give us plenty to discuss.

Blessings,

The Archangel

15. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the link!!! It looks like great stuff. Of course, I think L. L. Bean, Bass Pro Shops and Filson probably buy their stuff from the same folks--some guy named Fred in NE Louisiana.

The Archangel

16. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:) :) Its all good.

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like this scripture:

But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty: and base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in His presence" (1 Cor. 1:26-29)

18. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Paul was treated as any other person is treated in reagrds to salvation. It takes repentance towawrds God and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. No one gets saved without faith.

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My brothers....this Filson company looks like good-stuff....looks rugged too. Preach do they have clothing similar to Carhart? Both my son & I work in the trades. He particularly is outside allot & we need good & rugged & warm clothing.:thumbs:

Thanks

20. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How Can God be Associated with Anything...

.... So evil as sin itself? How can God, who created all that we see and comprehend as being "good" have anything to do with the dark stench of sin? How can anyone even begin to consider that God, who is the consummate point of all that is right about this universe even be included in the same sentence and category of having anything to do with "sin?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.