1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was There Alcohol in the Wine...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by richard n koustas, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I didn't imply anything...I just stated I hoped a banned BB member wouldnt' stoop to such lows.

2. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Do you agree? Do you think it's the same symbolism as used in the Lord's Supper?

I think it could be true. MacArthur pointed out a verse where wine is equated with salvation. I don't have the link handy or I'd post it.

3. GLipscomb48

GLipscomb48 New Member

Isaiah records that the new wine is found in the grape, hence grape juice is wine in the grape. Boiled grape juice is nothing but the new wine boiled to kill the yeast.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Like all BB threads dealing with alcohol, you have to sift through the posts to find an answer. I gave what I thought to be the correct answer.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...and yet you can get drunk off of new wine. Hmmmm....

Like I said, boiled juice turns into jelly. You don't drink jelly.

6. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Actually, Isaiah says "as new wine is found in the cluster". But you already knew that, since you did the research into the old threads.

7. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I'm going to start copying and pasting.

8. GLipscomb48

GLipscomb48 New Member

One cannot get drunk off of new wine. The Bible does not indicate that at all.

As to boiled juice turning into jelly, that is not true. Other ingredients have to be added to the juice to make it gel.

9. npetreley

npetreley New Member

It would be easy for the monitors or webmasters to sort out, since it's likely that anyone who tried such a thing would be accessing the boards from the same IP address. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember someone got banned permanently because the BB administrators determined he was logging in with multiple accounts from the same IP address and didn't have a reasonable explanation for it.

10. npetreley

npetreley New Member

No, what you say is not true. You CAN add pectin to make it gel faster, but grapes have plenty of natural pectin in them. I've made grape jelly without adding anything. In fact, I boiled it too long once and it turned into grape candy.

11. dan e.

dan e. New Member

oh glipscomb....as if you probably can't guess anyone's response to any of the points you make? ! This is usually how it works....I can make a point and with a 99% accuracy guess what you will respond with. You should also know what anyone will respond. Did you even answer the OP? What do you think the drink offering symbolized? I suggested the same as the Lord's Supper....what do you think?

By the way...I can guess that it symbolizes the same as the wine with the Lord's Supper and still be saved, right?

12. dan e.

dan e. New Member

That sounds like a fun science project.

13. GLipscomb48

GLipscomb48 New Member

I have a brother who is a wine maker and he boils his grape juice before he makes the wine. He then adds his own yeasts after the juice cools down.

So boiling of grape juice without it turning to jelly is done. Perhaps you boiled your juice too long?

14. npetreley

npetreley New Member

:laugh: Yeah. I went through a phase in my 20s (ancient history) where I made a lot of things on my own. I picked fresh fruit and made jellies and jams. I never, ever added pectin.

I also shook a container of heavy cream until it turned into butter. I don't recommend trying that one unless you have strong wrists and lots of patience. I only did it twice, and the second time only because I forgot how annoying it was the first time.

15. npetreley

npetreley New Member

No, I boiled it with the intention of making jelly. I made candy when I accidentally boiled it too long.

Yes, you can boil it to kill the natural yeast and then add your own yeast. You can also add sulfur dioxide to kill the natural yeast and then add your own yeast when the sulfur dioxide wears off.

Regardless, if you don't add your own yeast, it WILL STILL ferment, and it will do it quickly. There's plenty of yeast and mold in the air. Controlling quality and flavor is the only reason you add your own yeast instead of allowing it to ferment from natural yeast. Either way, it ferments.

16. dan e.

dan e. New Member

hilarious.

17. GLipscomb48

GLipscomb48 New Member

The drink offering, I believe, was an acknowledgement that all the blessings of the earth are from God.

18. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

My undergraduate degree is a B.A. in Biblical Studies and History of Ideas (a double major). In the History of Ideas we read all (or most) of the great books of the western world. We read primary sources not secondary sources written about the primary sources. We read lots of Aristotle, and Pliny, etc. I do not recall reading about grape juice being preserved for 100 years without fermentation etc. Can you give me the specific reference to Aristotle's or Pliny's works that mention this subject? If so please give me the title, book chapter and/or section numbers, and the paragraph and/or line numbers so I can read this information for myself.

19. GLipscomb48

GLipscomb48 New Member

Columella records putting fresh grape juice in containers and removing all air thereby preserving the juice so it would not ferment. The technology was available to them way back then.

20. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

With all respect, the claimed addresses of these "two brand new members" are nowhere near those of the"two grape-juicers" who have been given a 'vacation', so I suggest this 'implication' is a bit less than honorable, absent any real evidence. And I am not one to particularly take such sides, disagreeing with most at some point, in my posts. So I say a belated "Welcome to the Baptist Board" to these two new posters. Read and follow the BB [​IMG] and you will probably never have to see [​IMG] nor have to say, " [​IMG] !"

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.