1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was There Alcohol in the Wine...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by richard n koustas, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. npetreley

npetreley New Member

You think that's funny -- wait until you hear/read this. One of the things I made on my own was yogurt. I made a new batch almost every 2-3 days. The process is the same principle as wine. You heat the milk until you kill off all the natural bacterial microbes. Then you add your own culture and let it sit at a warm temperature that grows the yogurt bacteria well. After about 12 or more hours you've got yogurt (let it sit longer for a tangier yogurt).

Well, I had strep throat and couldn't get rid of it. It only occurred to me after a month or so that I was coughing when making yogurt. In retrospect, I bet I was growing strep culture along with my yogurt and recycling it into my system. Once I stopped making yogurt, it was gone in about a week.

Lesson: wear a surgical mask if you want to make yogurt.

2. GLipscomb48

GLipscomb48 New Member

I do not have these books by Pliny and Aristotle on hand, but have read their accounts of fresh grape juice being preserved. Not for as long as Josephus recorded. It was Josephus who recorded the wine, fruits and vegetables that were nearly a century in age.

3. npetreley

npetreley New Member

A claimed address is not the same thing as an actual IP address. Anybody in New Jersey can claim he's from Podunk, Iowa, and the only ones who can know where he is really located are those who have access to the IP addresses. Absent the IP addresses, I will not make any accusations. However, I do find it an amazing coincidence, and I won't say otherwise just to be polite.

4. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

I don't mean to push the issue,but if you are going to site a source then you need to be prepared to actually provide the source references, otherwise it does not recommend your line of argumentation. Can you track the references down and provide them later?

5. GLipscomb48

GLipscomb48 New Member

Bible-boy,

I will endeavor to get that information for you. I have to go out later today.

6. npetreley

npetreley New Member

If I recall correctly, Josephus didn't record anything about wine. He said there was fresh fruit that was preserved for 100 years. And if you believe that, I have a bridge I'd be glad to sell you.

Regardless, one unsubstantiated fable about a single case where fruit was preserved for 100 years does not tell you anything about wine, nor does it tell you what people did to preserve things as a rule. We have plenty of historians who record that it was common practice for people to use fermented wine to purify water, and that was the most common daily drink. These accounts outnumber Josephus' single "Ripley's Believe It Or Not" account by the thousands.

By the way, Josephus had almost nothing to say about Jesus, and some people even question whether or not the mentions of Jesus were added later by someone other than Josephus. If you want to place so much stock in what Josephus has to say, you'd have to conclude that Jesus didn't make much of an impact in His time.

#66 npetreley, Jun 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2007
  7. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Thanks,

I love an excuse to use my Great Books of the Western World set or to pull out my old college textbooks!:thumbs:

8. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I'll let someone else provide the references, but Pliny talked about a drink that was made by mixing water with grape syrup. It wasn't specifically in reference to what the Jews did with grapes in the times of the OT. I don't know what Aristotle wrote, if anything, about grape drinks.

9. GLipscomb48

GLipscomb48 New Member

Question? Can a blessing from God to man be a curse to man?

I say not.

10. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I guess you've never dated anyone. ;)

(ducks)

11. GLipscomb48

GLipscomb48 New Member

who says the date that turned out to be bad was from God?

Many times people step out before God.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So...nobody ever abuses food or sex (both blessings from God)?

13. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is about the following:

It is not about alcohol and wine in general; neither is it about the done-to-death subject of drinking alcohol.

In addition, is is not about the status of posters who are not here to post now.

Keep to the original topics or the thread will be closed.

Thank you.

rsr

14. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Thank you. That was my point.

15. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I don't have the right to ask because I didn't start the thread. But I get the impression the original poster's question was answered. I'd love it if you closed the thread.

16. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was this wine alcoholic?

From Strong's concordance:

17. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Ahhh, what did Strong know? He was obviously a drunk and a heathen. ;)

18. Snitzelhoff

Snitzelhoff New Member

He was clearly just trying to justify his sin. :laugh:

19. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

If the thread does end up being closed I would still like it if someone would PM me with the references to Aristotle's and Pliny's works regarding the preservation of unfermented grape juice. ;):thumbs:

20. GLipscomb48

GLipscomb48 New Member

Am doing that research Bible-boy and will email the info as soon as I get it together.:wavey:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.