1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was There Alcohol in the Wine...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by richard n koustas, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe the wine in the Bible was alcoholic.
    Romans 14 (NKJV)
    21 It is good neither to eat meat nor drink wine nor do anything by which your brother stumbles or is offended or is made weak.

I have never heard of anyone past or present that stumbled over or was offended or made weak by plain ol' grape juice. However, if the wine was alcoholic (one could get drunk off of it), then it could be a problem.

The drink offering usually accompanied the burnt offerings, so I believe that they represent the blood of Jesus shed at the cross.

2. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Here's the complete works of Aristotle and Pliny on the preservation of unfermented grape juice:

---------
    ---------

Cool, huh?

The problem with that description is that it assumes they preserved grape juice, and that's not what Pliny writes about. Pliny wrote about mixing a boiled-down grape sludge with water (actually the sludge was closer to being a candy, since I think it was Pliny who reported that it was so thick you had to scrape it out of the skins).

That's not the same thing as preserving grape juice. Once you use the goop to make grape juice by mixing it with water, you have to drink it. If you let it sit, it will ferment.

3. GLipscomb48

GLipscomb48 New Member

In his dissertation 'Aristotle's Teleology and Modern Mechanics,' Christopher V. Mirus, B.A., M.A. states:

4. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Thanks,

That is a reference to a secondary source (someone writing about the primary source). However, it does reference the part of the primary source that it is talking about so I can look it up for myself. The point that the quoted material makes is that Aristotle was aware that both grape juice and wine exist. However, it makes no mention of preservation of the grape juice as you were espousing in an earlier post. Remember you said:

#84 Bible-boy, Jun 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2007
  5. GLipscomb48

GLipscomb48 New Member

In 'The Temperance Bible Library,' by Frederic Richard Lees, Dawson Burns - 1868 Aristotle is said to have stated that the 'wines of Arcadia were so thick that they dried up' and had to be scraped and disolved in water.

'Communion Wine and Bible Temperance'
    [SIZE=-1]by William Makepeace Thayer - 1869 has a good account of unfermented wines.
    [/SIZE]

6. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Quoting a temperance movement author from the latter 1800s about wine is like quoting a Jehovah's Witness about the deity of Christ.

7. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Luke 5:39 No man also having drunk old wine straightway desireth new: for he saith, The old is better.

They will never recant because they say the old wine is better. Needless to say, new wine is not slightly less old wine.

Proverbs 3:10
    10 So shall thy barns be filled with plenty, and thy presses shall burst out with new wine.

New wine comes out of a press. What comes out of a press? New wine. Say it with me. New wine comes out of a press. Very good. Why does new wine come out of a press?

Isaiah 65:8
    8 Thus saith the LORD, As the new wine is found in the cluster, and one saith, Destroy it not; for a blessing is in it: so will I do for my servants' sakes, that I may not destroy them all.

Because new wine is found in the cluster. What is found in the cluster? New wine. Say it with me. New wine is found in the cluster. Put the cluster in the press, and new wine comes out of the press.

8. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Why do you put new wine in new wineskins?

Say it with me - When it ferments, it gives off CO2 gas as a by-product, which expands the skins. Old wineskins would burst during the fermentation process. New wineskins will stretch during the fermentation process.

Why is old wine better than new wine?

Say it with me - Mature fermented wine tastes better than new wine which has only fermented for a short while. That's where the expression comes from, "like wine, it improves with age". Vintage wine tastes better because it has had time to age. The "cheap stuff" is the new wine, which is alcoholic, but doesn't taste nearly as good as mature wine.

In addition, people historically in NT times drank new wine full strength, which is why the mockers accused the apostles of being drunk on "new wine". Mature wine was diluted with water, so it was difficult to get drunk on mature wine.

9. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

We can't discuss wineskins untill we can agree what the bible says new wine is. And the Bible doesn't say old wine is better than new wine. It says people who drink old wine say it is better than new wine.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...but old wine is old new wine.
    You're taking poetic language as literal. At any rate, it has been proven that grapes ferment ON the vine...so any grape that is starting to ferment on the vine would naturally continue once it is plucked and put into the press.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

Noah drank wine and become drunk. I think there was alcohol in it :BangHead:

12. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

So because it is 'poetic', it isn't true?

13. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Was that new wine fresh from the press?

14. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Nehemiah 10:39
    39 For the children of Israel and the children of Levi shall bring the offering of the corn, of the new wine, and the oil, unto the chambers, where are the vessels of the sanctuary, and the priests that minister, and the porters, and the singers: and we will not forsake the house of our God.

If old wine is better, why doesn't God want the good stuff?

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

No, but because it's poetic...your literal translation isn't necessarily true. Let Scripture interpret Scripture. People got drunk off of new wine in the Bible. Either it was very alcoholic right out of the wine press...or the language is poetic. I don't know how it would be possible to get drunk off a freshly squeezed grape.

16. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Where did people get drunk off of new wine in the bible?

17. GLipscomb48

GLipscomb48 New Member

They never got drunk off of the new wine. Acts 2:13 tells us that the disciples were falsely accused of getting drunk off of new wine.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't have my notes with me...maybe someone else can chime in.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Would someone get falsely accused of getting drunk off of Pepsi? Thanks for the verse, btw.

20. GLipscomb48

GLipscomb48 New Member

And you know this because?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.