1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was this country founded on Christian principles?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by youngmom4, Nov 12, 2007.

1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "In God we Trust", our national motto, though only officially recognized in 1956 has been around from the inception of our nation.

This in and of itself does not make us a Christian nation but at least it reflects an official governmental affirmation of God.

As an aside:
    While it has been minimal here in this thread, I am amazed at the number of Baptist and denominational Christians citizens who speak against our beloved nation and our all too human leaders.

However this is one of our rights, freedom of speech.

On the other hand from without, the rest of the world is breaking down our doors (and laws) to get into this nation, legally and otherwise.

I saw a documentary showing illegals coming across the border from Mexico.

Several of them made the sign of the cross and kissed the ground of America when they entered.

That doesn't excuse their crime but think about it.

God bless America, the land that we/I love ...

HankD

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

3. Magnetic Poles

The official motto until then was "E Pluribus Unum".

Speaking out against the nation is speaking about ourselves. But it is patriotic to defend the nation by speaking out against leaders who are taking her astray. If only the German people had done the same of Adolph Hitler.

4. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Yes, there was folks of faith and not and Christians and nonchristians, but the underlining view was a christian view of many. Could that be the reason that John Payne's people couldn't find a cemetary to bury him in? If I recall my 5th grade history correctly,he was put to rest in a pasture.

5. Magnetic Poles

Who is John Payne?? :laugh: Stephan was talking about Thomas Paine.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was a de facto motto and therefore not the official motto. "In God we Trust" is our official

We have never had a Hiltler , in fact we helped defeat him and his partner in crime Hirohito. I was a young lad when there was dancing in the streets (no Baptists of course) when the war was over and my father came home alive.

But I agree those who give or sell our secrets to a foreign nation ought to be punished.

But to belittle the official is to belittle the office, a crime (IMO).
    Just prosecute them.

HankD

7. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I can't read or spell, I stand corrected, it is Thomas Payne, but the facts are true about Thomas Payne. By the way wasn't John Payne an actor.

#48 Bob Alkire, Nov 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2007
  8. Magnetic Poles

That is the situation now. It wasn't always.

But YHO is not statute, therefore it is no crime. If criticism of the government becomes illegal, we will have become a totalitarian state.

9. Magnetic Poles

I was just teasing you. :) I know what you meant.

10. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Just think what I would write if I was a mile high like you, man would that be a mess. Yes, I know, I thought it was funny, good come back.

11. Magnetic Poles

Yeah, the lack of oxygen might be what's wrong with me! :laugh:

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No matter, e pluribus unum was never our official motto.

I never said criticism of the government is wrong (although a scriptural case could be made for Christians) just ad hominem attacks oagainst those who lead us:

2 Peter 2
    9 The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:
    10 But chiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness, and despise government. Presumptuous are they, selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil ofdignities.

HankD​

13. Magnetic Poles

No, but EPU was the de facto motto before the McCarthy era adoption of IGWT.

As for ad hominems against leaders, again that is part of liberty. I am free to call the President of the United States a chimp-faced scallywag with the brains of a slug, and that is perfectly legal, and should always be. That goes regardless of which party he or she may be from. Some Americans are so willing to give up liberty. I for one, am not.

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True, according to the principle of freedom of speech, we have that right but it is not a scriptural principle to name-call our leaders.

Ephesians 4:31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:​

Titus 3:2 To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men.​

James 4:11 Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge.
    But voting in a referendum to impeach someone who has committed a crime would be allowable.

And, in some cases it is necessary to recount as a witness or give testimony against someone even a leader that has done criminal things.

But, I disagree in principle that you or I have have the right (that is as a Christian) to name-call the president. (although I must confess that I have done it, that is of another administration).

Going to war against a nation or people which has spilled the blood of the innocent is also allowed according to Genesis 6:6. I am a veteran and if I wern't so old I would be willing to serve my country again defending her citizens from those who would, and indeed have, shed their blood.

HankD

15. youngmom4

youngmom4 New Member

Oy...I shouldn't have posted this in a debate forum! :laugh: Guys, you can't look back at history and not see that so many of the founders wanted this country to grow under Christian principles...even the ones who weren't professing Christians! That is what is so amazing about this...I am going to have to do some more research when the term is over, but everything I have read points to this fact.

On another note...yes, we all have the right to speak out against our leaders, but that doesn't always mean we should. :thumbs: Think about how what you're saying affects other people's perception of Christianity...I am sure there are non-believers reading these posts sometimes.

16. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Oh well you know those who wish to lead dual lives do not apply scripture to government affairs. They think they can be "neutral" when it comes to government. :BangHead: