1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Washington-Oregon

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by saturneptune, Jul 30, 2012.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

My wife and I are starting a trip tomorrow to Washington-Oregon. There are three states in the lower 48 we have not been to, WA, OR, and ND. I need to invent a reason to go to ND.

Anyway tomorrow we are flying out of Nashville to Seattle. We are going to see the sites of Seattle, the Space Needle, Pikes Market, and the Underground. One day we are going to Mt. Ranier, then to Mt. Olympus. We will see Mt St. Helens on the way down I-5. I believe we are crossing the Columbia at Astoria, see a good bit of the Oregon coast, see Crater Lake, and Three Sisters Mountain Range. We plan on seeing both capitol buildings and many of the light houses along the coast. Finally, we are going into northern CA to see the Redwoods, and end up at Reno and fly back to Nashville.

Any suggestions?? Nothing is written in stone.

2. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lived in Salem, Oregon, 1956-1962, age 11-17. We did a lot of outdoor stuff in the mountains--Cascades and Coast Range. Some of the places were very pristine 55 years ago--not sure about 2012.

One place near Bend/Three Sisters/Cascades called Little Lava Lake was a nice primitive place to fish and camp. The Deschutes River flows from the snow melt of the lake. When we were there the water in the lake and the river was potable--clear, clean, and cold. This area was as beautiful as Alaska. The Oregonians have tried really hard to maintain the natural beauty.

Another interesting trip: take a train from Chicago, Il. to Portland, Or. along the northern route. Stop in Bismarck, ND. Take a tour. There is a lot to see in ND too.

Do not feed the animals.

Be safe,

Bro. James

3. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I've not been to Washington.

Crater Lake is nice to see, but imo you can just look at pictures. It's not all that interactive.

Oregon: I'd suggest going to Ashland. If you like plays, they have the Shakespeare festival, which is a place where you can go see those types of plays. They do a good job!

Ashland also has Lithia park. It is beautiful, imo. It is very well maintained with lots of beautiful gardens. Bring a water bottle or three and get some water from the fountain, if you can handle the taste. LOL Some people pay a lot of money in stores to buy that stuff bottled. You can also walk through other wooded areas, though some is blocked off as unsafe. Oh, and there may be a bear or two in the morning. My fave is the cinnamon bear. You probably won't see them...that particular one seems to come early in the morning for trash and then leaves. Omar's is a nice place to eat dinner down the road from there, but pricey. It looks like junk from the outside...there is a bar attached, but I'm pretty sure they do it to fool people. Best, classiest food I've ever had! They open at five pm, so gotta get there early and wait. Unless they changed hours.

Also, Grants Pass is close to Ashland. If you like jet boat excursions, they offer some awesome ones down the Rogue River. Then go an get phosphates for 25 cents at the pharmacy downtown. (it's a small town) They have a great Japanese restaurant. If you like organic and just want a drive-through meal, Casablanca is this tiny little place, totally organic, and it's a drive through, though they have a couple tables outside. I interviewed the manager and he's a doll who helps support his community and has a heart for kids in need. If you like organic and want to support a great small business, GO. Hopefully all that stuff is still there. There are a number of quaint little shops down the main road and First Friday is pretty nice, but I wouldn't go there just for that last part...simply as something to check out as long as you're there anyway, ie go to Ashland, but get the hotel in GP. (only 30 minutes apart)

I think a lot of it depends on your level of activity...if you like walking, sports, etc., that's going to change the parts that attract you.

4. Carolina Baptist

Carolina Baptist Active Member

Just over a year ago we flew into Portland OR and drove to Seattle WA. We saw Mt St. Helens, and Mt. Rainier.
    We spent a day driving to Mt Hood and back. It would be a little out of the way for you but the Columbia River Gorge is amazing.
    We also went to Fort Clatsop just south of Astoria. If you like history it is a good tour.
    The whole area is beautiful. Have a great time. :thumbs:

I hope someday to go to Mt Rushmore and make to drive to ND just t say I've been there. :D

5. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just be sure to eat the seafood in Seattle and the clam chowder at Pike Place Market! mmmmmmm!