1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wasted days and wasted nights?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Twizzler, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Twizzler

Twizzler Member

I've always been a huge fan of discussing "issues" with my friends and family, as well as online, with the emphasis lately here on BB. I was reading a few Psalms last night before I went to bed and Psalm 37 was the second I read.

The first few verses of the Psalm seemed to just jump off the page and smack me in the head...
    I really recommend reading the entire chapter and spending some time in quiet reflection and prayer over the passage.

This chapter is speaking quite directly and bluntly to me. It's telling me that I'm wasting my time (totally) when I engage in political discussion with anyone who disagrees with what I believe (no... I'm not saying I'm correct on EVERYTHING, no one is perfect) as they are unwitting pawns, used by satan to sap my time and energy, keeping me from concentrating on IMPORTANT issues and doing GOOD in the world.

There seem to be a few trolls on this board who purposefully bait any number of us conservatives, getting us all hot under the collar and forcing us to spend all manner of hours researching trivial matters to show that they are wrong. Could it be possible that these trolls, these debates, are just satan's way of getting us to waste time in a prideful way by insisting that we're right and they're wrong while keeping us away from many other things that the Lord has commissioned us for?

Personally I've found this Politics forum to be quite lively and love the fact that there are a number of conservatives out there like me that I can enjoy time with but feel led to ask the question, 'Are we following the Lord's will when we enter into debate on many of these issues which are obviously steeped in worldly thinking?'

Ps. 37:7 Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for him... :sleeping_2:

The rapture is going to happen with or without our input as will the coming of the anti-christ, as will the tribulation. I realize we're supposed to be civic-minded, but to what extent and at what cost?

Personally I'm going to find it EXTREMELY difficult to let go of debates on political matters as I absolutely LOVE to debate the issues. The more I think about it though, the more I see my debate as being prideful and an utter waste of time in the long run as my words are falling on the deaf ears of those hardened to the ways of the world.

Thoughts?

2. FlyForFun

FlyForFun New Member

I dunno...

There is "debating" and there is "mere contradiction."

Being "united in one mind" is certainly a Scriptural goal. But we need to be sure our minds and opinions and views are formed through Scripture – not isolated proof texts, but the whole counsel of God as revealed in His Word.

Controversy brings clarity – we learn by submitting ourselves to rigorous scrutiny why we think and believe what we do, or why we should change.

3. Twizzler

Twizzler Member

Excellent point, FFF... thanks.

Interesting... it's quite difficult for me to tell the difference between "debating" and "contradiction" sometimes though. It seems that there's a LOT of "mere contradiction" going on lately, doesn't it?

4. FlyForFun

FlyForFun New Member

There is, but what we often don't want to admit is that at bottom are irreconcilable assumptions.

So, for example, the abortion "debate" comes down to this: Is the fetus a person?

All the rest is mere noise.

5. alatide

alatide New Member

Actually, it's been shown many times no one on this board supports abortion. The only argument here is why would anyone continue to support the Republican party when they have demonstrated over a period of 5 Republican administrations that they merely talk about this and don't do much about it. Continuing to do so simply supports their hypocrisy.

6. targus

targus New Member

Prior to the election it was pointed out over and over that Obama is rabidly pro-abortion.

Some on this board said that they were going to vote for him anyway because they are not "single issue" voters.

They - including alatide - then voted for Obama.

One of Obama's first actions in office was to fund overseas abortions.

Alatide et al. may want to hide behind some sort of fig leaf in their protestations that they do not "support" abortion but the TRUTH of it is that they did and still do support abortion by proxy through Obama and are complicit in the slaughter of the unborn.

7. billwald

billwald New Member

Arguing on the web is cheaper and more convenient than arguing in taverns. Also safer. And about as many minds are changed by the arguments.

8. THEOLDMAN

THEOLDMAN New Member

Amen Brother !!!

9. SeekingTruth

SeekingTruth Member

Targus, you are absolutely correct in you assessment of the whole issue. It is easy to claim to be a Christian, but sometimes it is not easy to follow the precepts of Christianity. Abortion is murder. I pray no Christian will support these heinous acts anymore.:tear:

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And it has never been shown that "no one" on this board supports abortion. That is out right false.

11. alatide

alatide New Member

Did the number of abortions go down more in the 8 years under Clinton or in the 8 years under GW Bush?

12. FlyForFun

FlyForFun New Member

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I submit prosecution exhibit A.

The prosecution rests.

13. targus

targus New Member

Let's start with my post first.

Address my points one and a time and try to refute my logic.

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The same reason you would vote for a party and support an agenda that promotes abortion. Again, all your words do is to show how much alike you and the Republicans are. Just what does it take to make you understand?

15. sag38

sag38 Active Member

They are too chicken to state their true views on abortion because they know they will be banned.

16. Nonsequitur

Nonsequitur New Member

I love Freddie Fender. Leave him alone.:laugh:

17. alatide

alatide New Member

Your prosecution will come on Judgment Day for destroying Christ's church's influence by combining your "religion" with Republican politics. I'd rather face your"judgment than the Judgment of Jesus Christ. Change your ways or lose for all eternity.

18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Your theology is worse than your perspective of history and politics. "Change your ways or lose for all eternity." That is your exact quote. How can he change his ways? Only God can change his ways. It is not within his power. He already claims the Lord Jesus as his Savior, so being already saved, how can he lose his salvation as your quote implies?

You keep harping about politics and religion. Yet, you vote for, promote, and support an agenda that fights for gay rights and abortion. So tell us, how do your politics and Scripture mix?

Oh, and by the way, it is against BB rules to imply someone is lost.

19. Nonsequitur

Nonsequitur New Member

Prosecution? Judgment Day?
    I was under the understanding that Christ died for our sins. There will be no 'Judgement', or 'Prosecution'.
    All who believe in Him are cleansed in His Blood. what are we, who are in Christ, to be judged and prosecuted for?
    Oh...yes.the Republican politics......the ones where we wanted no baby to be killed.....
    I have no problem with that.
    Obviously you do.
    Try reading the Bible again. You did not understand it the first time.
    But then again, since you have already disparaged others Salvation, I will pray for you little lady.

20. alatide

alatide New Member

OK when Jesus said "Come and Follow Me" He was lying. Man cannot "do" anything. Just go on believing that. I would suggest not becuse Strait is the way and narrow is the gate that leadeth unto salvation and you're going in the wrong direction.