1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Watching or Waiting

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by prophecynut, May 27, 2005.

1. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

The Jews are told to "watch" for their Messiah (Mt. 24:42; Mk. 13:35; Lk. 12:38; Lk. 21:36)

The Church is told to "wait" for their Savior (Acts 1:4; Rom. 8:23; 1 Thess. 1:10; Titus 2:13).

Does anyone have an explanation why Jews are to "watch" and the Church is to "wait"? :confused:

2. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Your references claiming that it is Jews who are to "watch" while the church "waits" are in error.

Read Acts 20 again.
    And 1 Cor 16:13.
    And Col 4:2.
    And 1 Thes 5:6.
    And 2 Tim 4:1-5.
    And 1 Pet 4:7.
    Rev 3:1-3.

It ain't just "Jews" who are to "watch". You are mistaken.

Sorry! ;) :D

In HIS service;
    Jim

3. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

I'm surprised Jim, I did not expect any response. I appreciate your imput, iron sharpens iron as they say.

4. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

Watching:

A Jewish "virgin" had an appointment with destiny.
    She watched for a "long time" for a stranger to come and take her hand in marriage.

Waiting:

A Gentile wife had an appointment with destiny. She waited patiently for her husband to come at a preordained time to take her home.

5. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

I received this reply from Hal Lindsey:

I honestly hand not thought about these two different terms before. But they are important. Here are my findings and opinion on them.
    First, the Church is focused on an any moment possibility of the Rapture. We cannot know the exact time of its occurrence, but those of this generation have realized that we are commanded to know the "general time."
    Second, on the other hand, Jews in the Tribulation are caught up in unprecedented global catastrophe and are focused on the fact that though they don't know the exact moment of the Messiah's coming, they know that time is very short. So they are commanded not to faint in their minds and give up, but rather to "keep awake and alert" for His coming to rescue them.
    Here are the Greek words used for the Church:
    (note that all of these terms are used in connection with the "blessed hope" of Christ's return.)
    Titus 2:13 -- prosdechomenoi. This term emphasizes "waiting with willingness to welcome" the Lord Jesus when he comes. It is a present tense participle, which emphasizes this is to be constantly done.
    Romans 8:23 -- apekdechomai. This is a more intensive form of the same word above. In this context it means "to constantly wait eagerly" for Christ's coming.
    1 Thess. 1:10 -- anamenein "to wait with expectancy." Different word but with almost the same meaning as above. The emphasis is upon "continually living with the expectancy of Christ's coming."

The terms commanding the Jews in the Tribulation are much different, befitting the different circumstances they will be in.
    Matt. 24:42 -- gregorountas This word emphasizes "staying awake and not fainting under extreme stress." It carries the idea of staying alert in terrible trials.
    Mark 13:35 -- same exact word and tense with same idea.
    Luke 12:38 -- Again, same exact term with same meaning.
    Luke 21:36 -- agrupneite Different Greek word. It is an aorist tense with imperative mood, which demands an immediate obedience to the command. This word emphasizes being alert with the promise they will be strengthened to survive and stand before the Messiah, the Son of Man."

I believe these two different lines of commands to the Church and the Tribulation believers actually give us another proof that the Rapture happens at a different time under entirely different circumstances.

Thanks for the question, it helped me discover some things I did not see.
    Hal

My answer as to why:

Jews do not know who their Messiah is or when He returns, thus are commanded to watch.

The Church knows her Savior and knows when He returns, thus are commanded to wait.