1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Watching the entire Macy Day Parade.....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you watch the entire Macy Day parade?

Or did you turn it off just before Santa arrived?

Okay, lets talk about Santa
    Should we let our kids have fun with Santa
    Or do we block him completely from our kids

Suppose you have adult children who have their own kids,
    and they allow their children to believe in Santa.
    What would you do, if the grand kids come to your house.....

Open for discussion

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    [1] I was in the kitchen at my parents' house cooking and cleaning [with my Mom when she's home] No TV on Thanksgiving for me or her. My Dad and brother watched part of the parade and watched a ball game.

[2] Why would someone who enjoys a parade of make-believe characters enough to sit through the entire Macy's parade and look at fanciful and imaginary presentations turn it off when the Santa Claus float comes through? The whole parade is a fun celebration of the fantasy.

[3] Millions of us grew up with the notion of Santa Claus as part of our childhood Christmases and we did not end up spiritually damned or psychologically warped for it. I don't see the harm. Keep Jesus as the focus and keep the spiritual truths in the forefront. There is nothing wrong with practicing traditions as a secondary part of winter and Christmas.

[4] If I had adult children who were doing the Santa Claus thing with their children, then I would follow along. I would talk to my grandchildren about Christ's birth and it's meaning and I would make sure that if they were at my house during the holidays that scriptures were read together as a family pertaining to his birth.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Most of our kids do the same thing we did - Santa was just a fun part of the festivities and didn't detract from the Christ focus.

For those who do the Santa thing we play along. They are the parents and I won't do anything to undermine their authority. If the grand kids are here we do nothing different.

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You could talk to them about the historic origin of Santa Claus - Saint Nicholas.

Tell them the true story without any mythology at the same time don't pop the mythological balloon - let their parents do that at the appropriate time.

He was a church leader from centuries ago (a long long time ago from far far away) who had a Christian heart of compassion for the poor and needy and helped them whenever he could.

Just a thought.

HankD