1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Water and Alcohol

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Feb 16, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

No question about it. The Mike's Pink Lemonade I drank in less than a half hour as I was very thirsty. However the Mike's lemonade it took me about an hour to drink and of which I also drank water. Are you saying I was not harming my body by also drinking water? What if I mixed the Mike's in with water? Would this harm my body? I will check with a doctor next.

2. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes once I drank a Mike's and also regular lemonade. The Mike's had a better taste.

3. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke (the resident alcohol scholar) may show up soon and give a strong argument.

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please check the ABV % of the diet version. Is it really just 2.5%?

5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

The caloric intake is 109 calories, 14 grams of sugar and a ABV% of 3.2 per www.foodbeast.com. I read that 3.2% on the label in that site...

6. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Totally unnecessary to drink anything with alcohol.

7. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Totally unnecessary to drink anything other than water.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK ....fond me a non alcoholic Guinness. :laugh:

9. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This place amazes me. Shocks me, really. I've been a Christian and a Baptist for well over 50 years, and I've never seen or heard Baptists defending drinking the way you all do here. You guys sure seem to love your booze. :tear:

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They do......

11. quantumfaith

There are also plenty of other things that amaze me as well.

12. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More like we don't like being told what to do without good reasons. We get enough of that living in the United Nanny States of America.

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another whom-do-I-love-more?-my-brother-or-my-belly thread.

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I am not going to quote anyone so as not to direct this at anyone. Maybe it is because I was Presbyterian for 26 years. I do not drink buy lottery tickets or dance. They are just different reasons than most on this board. What gives anyone the idea they have the right to put sins on their personal pedestal. What makes you think they are sins. What gives you the right to dictate someone else's behavior. All this while ignoring gossip and 40 inch waist pot lucks which are sins.

15. quantumfaith

We all have enough sin and transgression, which should keep us out of others. But alas, it is so much easier to see in others, particularly their bellies.

16. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But I don't see anyone on here trying to justify big bellies, gossip, or any other of the many sins we all are guilty of. Yes, we may "do them", but I don't see any threads about why it's Biblicaly OK to stuff myself with food, etc, nor anyone defending those things. If you want to drink alcohol, you're free to do that, just please, don't try to pawn it off as a harmless, controllable past time. Just as gossip/gluttony/little white lies, etc. aren't "harmless" either. I could overindulge (gluttony) and eat 4 double cheeseburgers and a large fry from McDonalds, but that's not gonna cause me to get in my car and go run someone off the road because of it. Overindulge yourself with alcohol, and someone (usually an innocent victim) is going to get hurt or killed. I know, I know, NONE of you EVER "overindulges" with alcohol! Sure. :rolleyes: If you don't then you are part of a very small, very unique group! I won't tell you I've never over eaten, never gossiped, etc. Don't try to tell me you've NEVER drank "a little too much" either, because that's the problem with alcohol, you don't KNOW you've drank a "little too much" until you already HAVE.

#56 Baptist4life, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2014
  17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Young men and women are under pressure to be thin, yet we have an obesity problem in America. I am growing my belly so that I can effectively communicate to these people without adding to their anxiety regarding their body image. Paul says to become all things to all men. How many calories did the early church consume? Do you think it would be OK to eat pizza? I really just like the taste…not the effect. :rolleyes:

18. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I don't see threads where people are trying to justify overindulging in alcohol. The point is that drinking is not a sin, being drunk is a sin. Just as eating is not a sin; overeating--gluttony--is a sin. I don't see threads about why it's Biblically OK to over drink nor anyone defending those things.

The point is that drinking is not a sin, being drunk is a sin. Millions of people drink alcohol and for them it is harmless and controllable. I'm going to guess it was no later than Christmas or Thanksgiving dinner of 2013 where some reading this overindulged in food.

Yeah, they're sins.

It's not a very small, very unique group. Millions of people drink alcohol and for them it is harmless and controllable. It's coming up on 20 years since the last time I overindulged in alcohol.

Whereas when you are walking back to your table from the buffet line you can already SEE you're going to be sinning and don't have to wait until you've had too much to know you've had too much!

#58 InTheLight, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2014
  19. thisnumbersdisconnected

Here's where you make your error, in assuming alcohol to automatically be "bad" and "sinful" just because it is alcohol. It isn't any more sinful that food is, unless it is taken in excess, which is the exact same way food intake is "bad" or "sinful." It is the same thing.
    Why not? It is.

If you think it's impossible to have a beer or a glass of wine, you're wrong. Come by my house sometime and I'll prove it to you. By the way, my doctor, an internist/cardiologist, is well aware of my one-drink-a-day or less practice, and heartily approves. It is healthy for the older cardiovascular system. He's read the research, he knows it's true. He's also a Christian, a Southern Baptist just like I am. So get over your legalism, please. It is outmoded, outdated, and outside the realm of the facts.
    No, because alcohol taken at the level of moderation I've just described, is in fact harmless, and proven to be so. Please note, the Bible says drunkenness is the sin, not the alcohol itself. You need to read what God's word says, because you're assuming much that it does not say at all.
    No, but it will triple your transient cholesterol level, clog your arteries and increase the likelihood of a heart attack or stroke over the next two hours after you indulge, whereas alcohol taken at that level of moderation will actually clean your arteries and reduce your transient cholesterol level. If you don't believe that, I'll give you my doctor's phone number.
    Which is why I don't overindulge.
    Roll your eyes all you want, and stop and please consider how rude that comment was, with the :rolleyes: smiley. You are correct, at least as far as I am concerned: I don't overindulge.
    Not really. The best research proves over 85% of those who indulge in alcohol are purely moderate drinkers, one to two drinks and they quit. Again, don't believe it? I'll get you the statistics.
    Such a blanket statement might suggest to us you are biased and closed-minded to the truth, which is exactly what I've been saying here. Will you believe anything said to contradict you, or are you going to insist against the evidence that you are right and the doctors, researchers, and the Bible is right? Good question, I don't know.

You may have seen me say that I did have a drinking problem in the military, self-medicating my "non-existent" Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. Yes, I've overindulged, had too much to drink, gotten drunk in my life. Does it occur to you that for that very reason, I know exactly what "too much" is, and stop well short of it? My best guess is that it hasn't. So I'll just leave you to your foregone erroneous conclusions. God bless.

20. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Member

I know this thread is ancient, but this was quite amusing to see, since the site quoted is actually run and written by (mostly) @evangelist6589.

• Agree Agree x 1