1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Ways of Doing a Translation

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is a link to the kind of power struggle issues a clear and written understanding addresses.
    http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/...lation-co.html

The issue was the translators took Son of God out and replaced it with Christ to reduce the conflict with Islam, but the funding authority though Christ's divinity was an essential of the gospel.

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since Van would rather harp on what he thinks is my dishonesty, and refuses to debate, I'll not answer him any more on this thread--unless he gets over it, then maybe I will. But he seems to be here just to harass. :rolleyes: How boring.

The wife and I are leaving this morning (Tues. morning right now in Japan) to go to a retreat where I'm preaching. It will be good to get away and see my friends Pastor Honbo, Missionary Randy and others.

I'll be back to discuss more translation effort methods Wed. evening (Wed. morning in the US). There are several more to go, including the ways missionaries do it. :type:

3. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Thanks to John of Japan

Bro. John....I'd like to thank you for the informed and gentlemanly way in which you conduct yourself on this Board. You and your very informative and doctrinally sound posts are at least part of the reason that I continue my presence on the BB. I appreciate your knowledge and your experience on the field which you labor in the service of our Lord and I look forward to and enjoy reading your posts and the sound Christian perspective that they offer. I feel safe in saying that your presence here is a blessing to most of the members of this board. You are a blessing and I thank God for your faithfulness. You and your wife and family are in my prayers as you labor on the field of service the Lord has called you too and placed you in. I'm sure that the translation work you have been laboring in will be blessed and used of God to reach many in the land of Japan. That is indeed my prayer. I count you as my friend and brother in Christ and look forward to meeting up with you someday (most likely on the other side!) Don't let the naysayers and critics here get you down....keep up the good work and the great posts!:thumbsup:

Bro.Greg Perry Sr.:saint:

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Vaya con Dios, John and enjoy your meeting. I appreciate your perspective on this issue.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a historical precedent for cults to be started by an individual like L Ron Hubbard.

The leader of the Elders might not be fixed, but rotate, like a high Priest, so James might not have been a one man band.

"Congregational polity is sometimes called "Baptist polity", as it is the characteristic polity of Baptist churches." (Wikipedia)

The Elders (leaders such as pastors and lay teachers) report to the congregation, at business meetings, and they (the Elders) make recommendations (budget approval, major purchase, calling a staff member, i.e. pastor or business agent), but they (Elders) are responsible for the day to day operation of the church ministries. Thus the membership confirms the Elder consensus.

7. Gregory Perry Sr.

Incredible!

Van...I don't know why you seem to have such a "burr in your saddle" in regards to Bro.John but I have watched all of this I can without making comment and NOW it is time....I think to even introduce a statement such as the one above as a "suggestive comparison" to the work of a faithful servant of the Lord such as JoJ is both offensive and completely uncalled for. I believe you definitely should repent and ask the Lord to forgive you AFTER you have gone to brother John and asked him to do the same. I'm not in any way trying to "exalt" or "put on a pedestal" bro.John, but rather, defend him as a faithful brother in Christ. You just need to apologize. That is all I wish to say about this matter.:tear: I shall now commit it to prayer.:praying:

Bro.Greg:saint:

8. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

^^^^ What he said.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a disgraceful linkage that you are putting forward Van.

What has any of the above have to do with the price of ducks in China?

You still have not answered central questions that Joj brought up.

What kind of governing can a group of elders do with a translation in which the committee may have no knowledge of the original or even the target language? The translation is in the hands of the translators. It is not arrogance at all, but of necessity.

From your posts here and elsewhere I have learned that you will never admit you are ever wrong --even when all evidence is against you. When we oppose your ideas it does not mean we oppose the Lord Himself!

#49 Rippon, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
  10. Gregory Perry Sr.

Yes!!!

Well said Bro. Rippon!...Imagine that...you and I actually agreeing on something. Personally, I find that rather refreshing.:laugh::thumbs: They say that "even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally" (just joking!)

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Martin Luther and other translators have indicated as much.

I wish Van would acknowledge the truth of what you have said.

12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Why? Why can't you just be comfortable with Van believing what he does without you wishing he believed anything else. Why is it so important to you?

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because he has hardened himself and needs to acknowlege that he is wrong sometimes --like the rest of us --even you RM.

14. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is not my place to insist on that or yours.

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find it interesting that you have the habit of making posts which have nothing to do with threads. Care to comment on "Ways of doing a translation"?

16. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I'm just a yahoo here, but I'd really, truly appreciate it if we could let John just share his thoughts with us and void this peripheral stuff. Thanks.

17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Truth matters!

The item you sliced and diced from my post was addressed not to JOJ, but to Jonathan.borland. It was addressing church polity.

I did not suggest or imply this observation had application to JOJ. Me thinks you protest too much.

Why manufacture complaints about my behavior while remaining silent on the topic of the thread. I like JOJ and his contributions to this forum, but when I believe he is off base, I present my view as I did in post #11. Note it was on topic and did not belittle JOJ.

I believe we could do a far better job of translation and that is the burr under my saddle.

18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This quote is from the linked article.

19. Gregory Perry Sr.

After further investigation.....

Van..after going back and re-reading all the previous posts....you are correct....I did have that wrong about who your post was addressed to. Don't know how I missed that but I did and I apologize for all to see.

That said and done though I will make this observation. From my understanding of what I read, Jonathan.Borland was (in my opinion) agreeing with or offering supporting examples of JoJ's "take" on church government and authority as opposed to a Presbyterian form of "elder rule". To make the comment like you plainly did comparing what he (JoJ) and Bro.Borland were supportive of to the type of Cult mentality of L.Ron Hubbard was still improper. By the same token you could easily indict many faithful, Bible believing Pastors and teachers who actually are true to the Book and the Lord. That is just my opinion. I myself greatly appreciate Bro. Himes and all the faithful work he and his wife are doing in Japan. I also appreciate his presence on this Board. Just MHO.

20. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for the kind words!

And thanks to several of you who have said you appreciate my perspective.

We had a great time at the retreat, with good fellowship with our friends and the believers. After we got back in town, Patty and I stopped to get a Starbucks (ice vanilla latte for me), then worked at the church for awhile. We went out for katsudon, a delicious dish of pork cutlet on a bed of rice and egg and Asian veggies, then had our prayer meeting.