1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

We are the reason for the season

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by hawg_427, Dec 16, 2007.

1. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

I see this being said on TV so much, Jesus is the reason for the season" the sermon today was "We are the reason for the season" this is so true when youu give it thought. If it were not for US and our sin darkening everything up Jesus would not have a reason to come to earth. Therfore we would not have a Christmas day. WE are the reason that he came down to earth and gave his life, for the forgiveness of OUR SINS. Our Pastor passed out circular stickers that said," We are the reason for the season" It make so much sense. Puts a new slant on the season doesn't it? Christ-mas, I'm glad we have the special day to celebrate his birth. God Bless.

2. youngmom4

youngmom4 New Member

I don't think I really like that much...seems too much like a "me" thing and not enough about Jesus. JESUS is the reason for the season. Maybe He wouldn't have needed to come to earth if it weren't for our sin, but we sure can't save ourselves! It took His birth to provide us with a Savior, so it's all about Him...not about us. :jesus: :thumbs:

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm with YM on this one . "We are the reason for the season ." would give the wrong impression . Put Christ in the center .

4. D28guy

D28guy New Member

I can see both sides of it.

The way hawg described it its clear the pastor wasnt lifting us ("we") up in any kind of inordinate way. Like "we" are so wonderful, or so "deserving".

His point is Christ had to come because we are such awful sinners.

Its different. But I dont have any problem with it.

Mike

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

Kind of makes Christmas me oriented and Jesus oriented, focus on me not Him.

6. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

When a lost person sees that slogan it does far less to lift up the Savior.

7. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

For way too many,, it is all about us.

8. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't celebrate Christmas at all on December 25, but I realize that is not what the OP is all about.
    Allow me to put it this way.
    God is under no obligation to be merciful to anyone.
    He is not obligated to save anyone, and is answerable to no one if He does save anyone at all, or not.
    However, the mere fact that He did save many from the penalty of their sins by dying on the cross in their behalf shows the real reason for the season:

GOD'S MERCY.....expressed in Christ.

9. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We Were The Reason He Came

If you are speaking in reference to the reason He came, than in a way, we are the reason for the season. Still, Jesus must receive the full attention, because He is the only way to get to God.

I like your thought Hawg 427, it has some merit, but, we can't emphasize "us" in the reason for Christmas.

Merry Christmas brother,

Shalom,

Pastor Paul :type:

10. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've got no problem with the statement in thecontext its presented.

I do however think that too oftenwe get simplistic in our approach.

The 'Reason for the Season' ?
    • Christ came
    • Our sin
    • Adam's Sin
    • God's Grace
    • God's Love
    • Our Salvation
    • God's Justice
    • Substitutionary Atonement
    • to fulfil the law
    • our rejection of God
    • our sinful nature
    The reason? .. all of the above, and more.

Regards
    Bob

11. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then again, some Cristians from conviction do not celebrate the 'season' at all, in not putting one day above another, so there is no 'Reason for the season'. And I'd accept that as a valid option too.

Regards
    Bob

12. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

:thumbs: I was thinking the same thing. Ultimately, it is because of God's mercy as to why He came. God did not "have to" send Jesus because of our sin. But he chose to - and praise be to Him for doing so. He would still be just if He did not save anyone. But to remain just and merciful, the work of the God-man Jesus Christ was the only way to accomplish our redemption.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Prior to creating us, yes. After He has told us that if we believe we will be saved, I believe He is under His obligation He set forth, and that He does abide by the Truth He presents to fallen mankind, making Him at that point obligated to save those who obey.

14. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

I am sure my Pastor nor myself are putting US above Jesus. Just a simple thought that's all. If it were not for our aweful sinful lives Jesus would have had no reason to come and be born into human flesh and suffer an aweful death. If it because of US that he suffered. If there wasn't any sin in the world caused by Adam, we would all be in paradise without sin and suffering. I meant in no way to exalt US sinners above Jesus. Just a little something to think about on this special day.

15. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And it was Thought Provoking

It was a thought provoking phrase. A while back I posted a thought provoking phrase [What happens in Heaven, stays in Heaven], and like yours, I received some interesting feedback.

Keep up the out of box thinking brother.

Shalom,

Pastor Paul :type:

16. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting.
    Jim: "The reason for the season is us because we are the reason He came to earth in the first place."
    Jake: "No, the reason for the season is Him because He planned from the beginning to save us by coming."
    Jim: "No, it's about the Father, because the Son does nothing by Himself, but only what the Father directs him."
    Jake: "No, it's about every makeup of our God, who chose to create the world and a race of beings in His own image who would choose to worship Him; but since choice means possibly choosing negative, this was His plan for making reconciliation possible for us."
    Jim: "Case closed. Shall we run another lap?"

17. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

Thanks Righteousdude2, sometimes it takes a statement like that to get the community thinking a bit. Glad you enjoyed :)