1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

We Have Forgotten His Grace...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TCGreek, Jan 26, 2009.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

There's a stench of legalism on BB that I dislike.

I'm amazed at what is labeled heretical and false.

Sometimes I wonder if we understand what it means to live gracious lives.

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps an example?

peace to you:praying:

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It has nearly driven me off the board on more than one occasion.

4. Allan

Allan Active Member

Very true. I am contemplating stepping out - maybe completely.
    It can get pretty bad and then add to that me getting upset and adding to it! :BangHead: And that is something I can not stand.

I enjoy the debating but not the ad-homs, condesending remarks, allusion to or out right stating they don't study the bible. Or if they did then they would have to come to 'their' same conclusions, as well as the term patentally being tossed around - heretical teachings. Not that you are a heretic specifically but that what you are teaching is a heresy. As if one does not make the other. On and on I could go... Yeah - fun stuff.

I have learned alot from this board, and even from you TCG. But it seems to be sliding quickly (or maybe it is just me) toward a rather unwholesome flavor anymore.

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

So you and I can sit together at the Table of Brotherhood, one an Arminian and the other a Calvinist. :applause:

6. Allan

Allan Active Member

I am all for it. You can join some of my other Calvinistic friends who sit on both sides of me :)

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I quit worry about the finer points of Calvinism and Arminism, so I'm not much in the debates. :thumbs:

8. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

There does seem to be an ebb and flow in the tone on the board though. That's what keeps me coming back.

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You could sit at a table, sure, but work together in the Gospel?

Wouldn't work. You'd each espouse methods and principles antithetical to the basic premises of the other.

You would go your separate ways, because TC, you do not believe freewill to be the Gospel, and Allan, you do not believe Calvinism to be the Gospel.

10. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

As a Calvinist, I do not believe Calvinism is the gospel.

Calvinists who hold that calvinism is the gospel are dead wrong.

Wesley and Whitefield both preached the gospel, even though one was an Arminian and the other a Calvinist.

11. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Careful now...
    people will call you ecuminical :laugh:

12. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

Maybe it should be renamed to the Pharisee Board? :tongue3:

I'm in agreement though. It saddens me to see the attitudes here on a daily basis. It saddens me even worse that I have had to personally wonder if some people that are even proclaimed preachers here are truly in fellowship with God. I've never questioned someone on here confrontationally or personally and wouldn't do so, but that "discernment trait" that God gives to believers runs on high too often on these boards.

#12 mparkerfd20, Jan 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2009
  13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dispense with the semantics. You know what I mean. Citing Wesley and Whitefield proves my point.

14. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

ha!

15. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I haven't been posting here on this board for a while because of all the name-calling and, as Allan said, the ad homs and non-seq's and, like TC said, the things that are called heretical and the things that are heretical but not immediately called out to be so.

It is good to discuss doctrines and practices if only to sharpen one's irons, but when we come to this board hoping to convince and convert one another, that feeds ego.

Persuading a brother belongs to a church where all are supposed to be in agreement in points of doctrine and practice and one brother errs, or brings in what the congregation deems to be, error.

Wesley and Whitefield may have belonged to different "persuasions" with regards how and whom Christ saved, but wherever each happen to be, it is Christ they preach, glorify, and point to and that, above all, is what is truly important.

16. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I find this uplifting to read! Thank you, TCGreek! :love2:

17. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

I felt this way when I first found the BB way back in 2008, but when I started reading who posted along with what was posted I noticed that is really only a few. Already I can almost predict who agrees with what . Except Marcia, sometimes she strongly agrees with me and other time she is strongly opposed. Either one or both of us are somewhat strange (I think it might be me). BUt I just ignore the name calling and rude remarks. Remeber everyone who claims to be saved may not be. Whicj make me wonder...

are their atheist amongst us trying to dive us?????

18. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I think what bothers me most are the false assumptions made about me based on something I say. I'm put in a category, usually one I don't belong in.

For example, on the BB I have wrongly been assumed to be (none of these things are wrong, except maybe one though I question the reason the term is used, but they are not true of me): an Arminian, a Calvinist, a SBC member, a Republican, a Fundamentalist, one who worships the Bible, a person who thinks anyone not Baptist is maybe not Christian (that's a laugh since 5 of my 6 supporting churches are not Baptist and I speak in a lot of churches that are not Baptist), a RW basher, and others I can't think of now.

19. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I know what you mean about predicting who will agree with you on something and who won't, although I continue to be very surprised sometimes.

I guess you mean "divide us." Of course, I think some Christians are able to do this. But could be.....I think the mods do their best when people apply to join and they do what they can with the info given but there is only so much one can do to screen.

However, I tend to think atheists wouldn't bother. Cultists, on the other hand, would be more likely to try to disrupt. I actually don't think there are that many hardcore atheists out there.

20. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

So true. Please overlook my lack of attention to detail AKA poor spelling and proofreading.

You would be the last one on the board that I think would fit into a box!