1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured We have to obey Jesus!

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Moriah, Jul 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Get Jesus’ teachings and obey them. You can buy a Bible and find Jesus’ teachings in the New Testament.

Jesus says to those who overcome. You have only gone against me when I speak of giving up sin.

How do you think you overcome if you do not give up sins?

Here are some scriptures for you to consider carefully.

Romans 12:21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

2 Peter 2:20 If they have escaped the corruption of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and are again entangled in it and overcome, they are worse off at the end than they were at the beginning.

1 John 2:13 I write to you, fathers, because you have known him who is from the beginning. I write to you, young men, because you have overcome the evil one. I write to you, dear children, because you have known the Father.

1 John 2:14 I write to you, fathers, because you have known him who is from the beginning. I write to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God lives in you, and you have overcome the evil one.

1 John 4:4 You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.

Revelation 2:7 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.

Revelation 2:11 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. He who overcomes will not be hurt at all by the second death.

Revelation 2:17 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also give him a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to him who receives it.

Revelation 2:26 To him who overcomes and does my will to the end, I will give authority over the nations—

Revelation 3:5 He who overcomes will, like them, be dressed in white. I will never blot out his name from the book of life, but will acknowledge his name before my Father and his angels.

Revelation 3:12 Him who overcomes I will make a pillar in the temple of my God. Never again will he leave it. I will write on him the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which is coming down out of heaven from my God; and I will also write on him my new name.

Revelation 3:21 To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne.

Revelation 17:14 They will make war against the Lamb, but the Lamb will overcome them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings—and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers.”

Revelation 21:7 He who overcomes will inherit all this, and I will be his God and he will be my son.

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

He was afraid, fearful. Of what? It doesn't say specifically. So don't read into the passage that which is not there.
    Again, you can only believe what the Scripture says. You were discussing verse 30:
    Acts 16:30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
    --He was asking "What must I do to be saved"?
    That is the same question the rich young ruler asked who did not get saved, but went away sorrowful. You can't read into the verse any more than what it says.
    1. Who are my leaders?
    2. I am not reformed.
    3. Why are you making false allegations again.
    4. This is a demonstration of how you do not love the Lord with all your heart.
    5. What specific Scripture have I denied and how?
    A non sequitor. You are conveniently avoiding discussion on said scripture.
    Acts 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
    They gave him the gospel. He believed. He was saved. It is that simple. You refuse to believe this simple message of faith.
    How simple was it with the Eunuch?
    Acts 8:37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
    --There it is; all in just one verse! If you believe with all your hear you may (be saved). And he answered, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God."
    Salvation is by faith and faith alone. What better example of it than what is recorded right here. The same thing happened with the jailor.
    No, your denial of the Great Commission is foolish on the grounds that it was given to the apostles. For then you must deny all commands given to the apostles. Nothing in the gospels is for us if the Great Commission is not for us. If one commandment doesn't apply to us then why should the rest apply to us. Please explain.
    What men have taught me? Please elaborate.
    What do you call "my religion"? Please explain.
    I gave you many Scriptures already.
    We would see this, that all believers had to go and leave their families to be preachers, every single person who was saved would then be required to leave and travel and become preachers. You are speaking nonsense.
    Did Paul preach that to the Ephesians, Galatians, and the Corinthians, etc.?[/quote]
    Yes he did, and you even quoted some of the Scriptures that proved that he taught it. You don't remember that?
    I don't teach blindly.
    Who blindly taught me?
    Give me names since you know so much about me and my education?
    You quoted a Scripture that Paul wrote in his epistle to Rome. Paul had never been to Rome. No apostle had ever been to Rome. You can quote Scripture from the book of Hezekiah if you want, but it won't make a difference. You are still wrong.
    Colossians 1:3 We give thanks to God and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you,
    4 Since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus, and of the love which ye have to all the saints,
    5 For the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, whereof ye heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel;

It seems that way.

3. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I thought you said you obey Jesus' teachings?

Can you give me a scripture reference for this quote from Jesus?

First, this debate is not about giving up sins, all born again believers give up sins and I have given up many. This debate is about your claims of sinless perfection, which you claim you have experienced by the fact that you claim you obey the teachings of Christ with absolute perfection. If you say you never said this and do not claim it then answer for us one simple question - do you sin Moriah? If you will not answer then do not claim I have slandered your pov.

Second, Jesus answers your question, no need to "think" about it....

"For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, [even] our faith. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?" (1Jo5)

4. Moriah

Moriah New Member

You tried to teach that you knew it was not fear of God that he had.
    Have you changed your mind some about this?

People ask what they have to do to be saved because they want to be saved!

The Independent Baptist preachers and teachers, and whoever else taught you.
    Your beliefs are not far from Luthers and Calvins. You also quote often a saying originating from a Calvinist, the one about a robber looking for a police officer. That is a Calvinist teachers quote.

Repent and believe.

Matthew 21:32
    32 For John came to you to show you the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes did. And even after you saw this, you did not repent and believe him.

Mark 1:15
    "The time has come," he said. "The kingdom of God is near. Repent and believe the good news!"

Matthew 3:2 and saying, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near.

Revelation 3:3
    Remember, therefore, what you have received and heard; obey it, and repent. But if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what time I will come to you.

Matthew 4:17
    From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near.”

Matthew 11:20
    [ Woe on Unrepentant Cities ] Then Jesus began to denounce the cities in which most of his miracles had been performed, because they did not repent.

Matthew 11:21
    “Woe to you, Korazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! If the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes.

Matthew 12:41
    The men of Nineveh will stand up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and now one greater than Jonah is here.
    Mark 6:12
    They went out and preached that people should repent.

Luke 5:32
    I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.”

Luke 13:3
    I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish.

Luke 13:5
    I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish.”

Luke 15:7
    I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.

Luke 15:10
    In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”

Luke 24:47
    and repentance and forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Acts 2:38
    Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Acts 3:19
    Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord,

Acts 5:31
    God exalted him to his own right hand as Prince and Savior that he might give repentance and forgiveness of sins to Israel.

There are more scriptures telling us to believe and repent. If these are not enough to convince you, will more?

What did the Eunuch want to do? HE WANTED TO BE BAPTIZED FOR THE FORGIVENESS OF HIS SINS.

5. Moriah

Moriah New Member

You need to show from scripture that every single believer in Rome, Corinth, Galatia, Ephesus, Philippi, Colosse, and Thessalonica were commanded to be traveling preachers. Show us the scripture or scriptures!

The false doctrines that you have been teaching, that all are to believe and repent without being sorry or feeling anything, for you said that we could not feel anything until after we are saved.

You gave no such scriptures that have Paul or any other Apostle telling the churches of the believers to leave and become traveling preachers.

You do not think you have been trying to teach others here.

What are you talking about Jesus told Paul he would bear witness at Rome.

11 But lthe following night the Lord stood by him and said, 2“Be of good cheer, Paul; for as you have testified for Me in mJerusalem, so you must also bear witness at nRome.”

Paul was a prisoner in Rome. What are you talking saying Paul did not go to Rome?

6. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You were completely correct when you said on more than one occassion that no one can teach you anything. You are a perfect example of the truth of the Biblical doctrine of total inability.

7. Moriah

Moriah New Member

I gave you many scriptures that Jesus said we must overcome.
    This is my thread, this thread is about obeying Jesus, which includes giving up sins.

Preach it then, and do not go against others for teaching it, and keep giving up sins and continue obeying more and more.

This debate is about obeying Jesus.

You are resorting to making up things again when you debate me.

Here comes the only thing you know how to do, and that is to attack me personally.

We must have faith in Jesus Christ to overcome this world.

Hold firmly till the end.

Hebrews 3:14 We have come to share in Christ if we hold firmly till the end the confidence we had at first.

Romans 11:22 Consider therefore the kindness and sternness of God: sternness to those who fell, but kindness to you, provided that you continue in his kindness. Otherwise, you also will be cut off.

Hebrews 3:6 But Christ is faithful as a son over God's house. And we are his house, if we hold on to our courage and the hope of which we boast.

Hebrews 4:1 Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it.

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Yes, I will just say that one cannot be dogmatic about it, including referring to the "fear of God." There is no reason to assume that when the context doesn't bear it out.
    Then they count the cost. Some get saved and some don't. The rich young ruler never got saved. There were over 100,000 people present at the day of Pentecost. In response to Peter's sermon they said: "Men and brethren what shall we do"? Peter told them what to do, but out of a hundred thousand only 3,000 got saved. Not everyone who asks how to get saved, does get saved.
    [/quote]The Independent Baptist preachers and teachers, and whoever else taught you.[/quote]
    You have no idea who taught me, and how much education I have. So I suggest you stop with the slander. Unless you can name names you should stop. Out of three post-secondary colleges only one was Independent Baptist.
    I am IFB. I am not Calvinist, which I have said many, many times on this board. But I have used that illustration many times. It is a truth, not confined exclusively to Calvinists.
    Look at the source of your quotes: who said them, to whom they were said, in what context? Then ask yourself why you couldn't use any quotes form those books which specifically teach doctrine--the epistles: like Romans for example.
    Remember, Jesus came to the lost sheep of Israel. The message of repentance was a message for the Jews.
    Again, spoken to the Jews.
    John the Baptist's ministry was a ministry of repentance.
    This was a message to a church of believers. It has nothing to do with salvation. Believers don't need to repent to be saved.
    a message to the Jews.
    And they did not repent but the message was still to the Jews.
    The message is to the Jews.
    A message to the Jews.
    Who did they go to? The lost sheep of Israel?
    Who was he speaking to? Jews?
    Who was he speaking to? Jews?

Again, who was he speaking to? Jews?

He was speaking to his apostles here. This is the Great Commission. It began with them. And beginning at Jerusalem they were to preach the gospel to all nations.
    This is your commission in the gospel of Luke.
    Though this was on the Day of Pentecost repentance was emphasized for two reasons:
    1. The audience was Jewish.
    2. The audience consisted of the very ones that had crucified Christ. If anything they needed to repent of that very sin.

--Now the emphasis is on turning to God. It is not anymore repenting from, but rather turning to God. That is also a part of faith.
    There is nothing there to convince me. Try convincing me out of the Book of Romans or some of the epistles.
    And do you think taking a bath in water will bring him forgiveness of sins?
    Really? Catholics believe something like that. I didn't know it was your belief. The verse quoted gives his testimony of how he was saved. Did you happen to overlook that detail?

9. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Do not tell me I have no idea who taught you, when you tell us all what church you belong to. Do you want us to believe you joined a church in which doctrines you do not believe, and that no teacher in your denomination has ever taught you?

You also teach faith only, and the inability of humans even after having been taught about Jesus Christ. You teach OSAS. We know what you believe, and we know which religions teach these things.

YOU tell us what you believe. YOU tell us what church you belong.

You like to keep accusing me of being a Calvinist, even though I do not depend on their quotes in debates, as you do. That quote about a robber and a police officer is from a Calvinist.

If you do not want to be mistaken for a Calvinist, then do not quote one.

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
    John 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
    John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
    --Three times does Jesus say "If you love me, keep my commandments.
    This was spoken to his disciples in John 14 in the upper room.

One chapter later, while they were still in the same room, Jesus, still speaking to the same disciples said this:

John 15:16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

All of these commands are given to the same people at the same time.
    If one is true then all are true.

Verse 16 then commands not only the disciples, but all Christians, to go and bring forth fruit, and that fruit should remain. This is the way the Great Commission is worded in the gospel of John. He has ordained us to go...
    Every person has emotions. I never said we can't feel anything. Don't put words in my mouth or misrepresent what I said. That is dishonest. I said emotions don't save. They don't have anything to do with salvation. Salvation is by faith, not by emotions. Since when in the Bible does it teach that emotions save. You haven't even attempted to show me that yet.
    If emotions are so important why don't you teach people that they should fall on the ground and throw a temper tantrum like a little child and if they get mad enough at God, then God will give them what they wants. But they have to show lots of emotion because you believe that emotion saves. Is that what you believe?
    I believe salvation is by faith and faith alone, and not by emotions.
    Paul went on three different missionary journeys and established over one hundred churches in his lifetime. He said: "Be ye followers of me, even as I am of Christ."
    All of the apostles did missionary activity of some sort. All of them were martyred except for one, and that is John who was exiled to Patmos. Thomas and Bartholomew went as missionaries to India.
    You originally said:

No. You are blindly teaching what someone else has blindly been taught.

So I ask again.
    What do I blindly teach?
    Who is that someone else that has blindly been taught, and presumably passed that knowledge to me. Where are your sources? How do you know this. You better have some good sources as you keep on slandering me and others on this board.
    The verse you quoted in your defense was Romans 1:8.
    That verse was written long before Paul was taken as a prisoner to Rome, the only time he was in Rome--at the end of his life. The church was started by someone else, not Paul.

11. Moriah

Moriah New Member

No way does the book of Romans nullify Jesus’ teachings.

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Jesus came to offer the kingdom to the nation of Israel.

He came to his own, but his own received not.
    It was a message of repentance. That is not the same message that Paul explains in the epistles.

13. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Repent or perish. Those are the Words of Jesus Christ.

Paul preached to turn to God in repentance.

The message was to the Jews first, then all men.

14. Moriah

Moriah New Member

You have not attempted to explain scripture of God speaking of the heart and mind in the same scripture.

Anyone who teaches you faith alone and nothing else.

You said that Paul was never in Rome! LOL!

15. Moriah

Moriah New Member

You said Paul never been to Rome! LOL You said I was wrong. Do you want to apologize?

16. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Remember, you went against me for saying Jesus came first to the Jews?

There are not different gospels. Jesus came to give the message first to the Jews, then to all men.

17. Moriah

Moriah New Member

It is hard to believe that you do not accept the scriptures telling us to repent in Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, and Acts.
    The same gospel is preached in all the New Testament. Acts is even after the time Jesus ascended to heaven, yet you think it is different from Paul in Acts from Paul in the letters to the churches.

That is very strange.

Since it may help you or others to believe the Truth, here is Peter preaching repentance.

2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

We also have Paul in Romans teaching repentance.

Romans 10:9-10 we are told to confess.

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If they are the words of Christ, who is he preaching to?
    Who is he preaching to and why? Don't you ever consider context?
    Now you are learning.

19. Moriah

Moriah New Member

I have learned it some time ago, that Jesus spoke first to the Jews, and then the same message was preached to all men. You are the one who argued against me about Jesus coming first for the Jews. You are the one who is saying there are two different gospels. There are not two different gospels.

20. billwald

billwald New Member

The result of a born again Christian not obeying Jesus is what? He gets to clean the bathrooms in the next life?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.