1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

We need to have a national conversation about a ban on hammers.

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    THONOTOSASSA, Fla. – A Tampa-Bay area man who authorities say attacked his neighbor with a hammer has been charged with second degree murder with a weapon.

A Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office press release says 28-year-old Jarrett Kyle Brooks was booked into jail late Saturday. It was not immediately known if he has an attorney.

Authorities say Brooks approached Jonathan Acree from behind at a Thonotosassa trailer park, striking him in the head and neck multiple times with a hammer.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/1...or-with-hammer/?test=latestnews#ixzz2FJ3UmBCk

#1 Revmitchell, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2012
  2. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Don't forget to include in your national discussion on banning hammers the following. Why talk about just one, when we should actually consider all of them?

Rocks, bricks, concrete blocks
    Kitchen knives, hunting knives, pocket knives
    Tree limbs
    2x4 lumber (all size that can kill, too.
    Ice picks
    Tire irons
    Axes, chain saws
    Baseball bats, hocky sticks
    Frying pans
    Scissors
    Pitch forks, garden hoes
    Rat poison
    Acids with concentrations high enough to kill
    Matches, lighters, flint & steel, (anything that can generate a flame)
    Rope, wire, telephone cords
    Electric radios and anything else that can be dropped into a bathtub
    Forks & spoons as they can be made into knives
    Glass as it can be broken into shards

Human hands as they can kill without any of the above.

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's be real. Can anyone kill 28 people in less than 5 minutes with any of these 'weapons'.

4. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Sure. Any of these . . .

"Matches, lighters, flint & steel, (anything that can generate a flame)"

Combined with a flammable liquid such as gasoline, kerosine or even a strong whiskey could set the conditions within five minutes where a large number of people could be killed.

Isn't it time we looked into banning such dangerous things?

#4 poncho, Dec 17, 2012
  5. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't see "flammable liquid" on the list, but your point is taken. Still, killing mass amounts of people with flammable liquids is not as easily accomplished compared to a semi-automatic weapon.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You can't ban evil. It will find a way.

7. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I used to have an old single shot Mossberg .22 caliber rifle. I loved that rifle it was a take down target style with factory peep sights and a heavy barrel I could hit anything with it including bottle caps and hickory nuts out to 25 yards off hand with the proper use of the leather military sling that I had on it.

My long time hunting/fishing buddy was always busting on me about it because he thought he and his new Marlin semi auto .22 could hit more targets faster than me and my single shot. So the game was on. We each had 10 rounds of ammo.

We set up a line of old bowling pins he started from one end and I from the other. I won. How?

I'm right handed so in my left hand I put 9 rounds of ammo between my fingers and had one in the chamber. Now I knew from my many practice sessions that I could put 10 rounds on target in about 30 seconds with this method.

After two rounds his semi auto jammed while I kept a steady rate of fire going knocking over first my targets and then his. He never busted on me about my old fashion single shot rifle again.

See my point?

#7 poncho, Dec 17, 2012
  8. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Totally see your point. But you are well trained with handling guns from "many practice sessions". In the case of the school shootings, a mentally afflicted loner that occasionally went to the shooting range would not have been able to replicate your results, thus the semi-auto gun was favored.

9. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, and evil people will find a 30 round semi-automatic weapon to be an easier way to kill people than with other methods. I'm really conflicted on this one. I don't want to deny law abiding citizens anything when it comes to gun ownership. It is a constitutional right, after all. But when tragedies repeatedly occur people have a tendency to want to do something about it. Is there really nothing that can be done? Do we simply accept the status quo?

#9 InTheLight, Dec 17, 2012
  10. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW, I'm not suggesting a ban on guns or on these things. I'm wondering if limiting the number of bullets a cartridge could hold would be a good idea.

11. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

The problem here isn't the choice of weapon. We're talking about a mentally afflicted loner attacking un armed people that are crowed together in a place with limited exits and no way to defend themselves.

It's the perfect "killing field".

He could have killed just as many with a single shot sawed off shotgun. It might take a little longer but what does that matter? It's the policy of creating target rich environments for crazies that is the problem. So long as we have "gun free zones" there will be crazies that will take advantage of them.

A nutjob with a bow and a quiver full of arrows could kill 28 people in that environment. It's not the type of weapon that makes this kind of tragedy possible it's the misguided policy of disarming people and making them easy targets for crazies.

#11 poncho, Dec 17, 2012
  12. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand all of this. It's just so frustrating. One thing, I don't think this wacko cared about gun free zones. I just think he wanted to kill children and the school was the easiest place.

13. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Being a "gun free zone" made it the easiest place.

14. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do agree that others would take a gun free zone into consideration when they plan their crime, but I doubt it crossed this guy's mind.

15. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I don't know what in this guy's mind. But if it's like you said and "he just wanted to kill children" why would he consider anyplace else? Where do most children congregate in large numbers?

Schools. And what are schools? Perfect killing fields for nutjobs like this guy.

#15 poncho, Dec 17, 2012
  16. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK add my 'Shillelagh' to the list! And if you get close enough I will give you a demonstration of how I use it! :D

17. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does anyone remember what old whatshisname used to kill 68 people in oklahoma city? Was it a high capacity magazine?

18. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Forgot to add to rat poison any fast acting poison that can be added to water, food, and/or air distribution system. Are all the access points for these guarded at all places where large numbers of people gather? How many would notice anything suspicious about a person wearing a maintenance person's attire or food handing clothing working on the premises?

How many schools use the equivalent of airport security to screen packages being delivered to the premises?

How many schools screen for "white powder" in envelopes and packages distributed to teachers and staff?

How many adults in a school give a second thought to a "misplaced" backpack left in a hallway or stairwell?

How many people pay attention to a landscaper going about his business on campus? He's planted some nice bushes and shrubs around the building.

My point is, that if a person is determined, he or she will find a way to do what they want to do, with or without a gun. For example, look at Japan's suicide rate and their stance on forbidding private ownership of firearms.

By comparison, look at the Swiss requirement that every male own a firearm and their stats on gun violence.

19. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, you have a point, BUT, supposing there were a half dozen instances of mass killings via rat poisoning in the past year or so. Would we just throw our hands up in the air and say there is nothing we can do about it, people are going to kill others with rat poison if they want to? Or would there be a task force set up to study the problem and try to come up with sensible action plans?

20. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

You forgot ----- the jawbone of an ass-------a la Samson!!:wavey::type: