1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wearing ties to church?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by drfuss, Jun 8, 2006.

1. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Should men wear neckties to church? Some threads have discussed women's attire, but what about men?

A while age, one elderly woman was upset because the minister wore a colored shirt with a tie. She said ministers should only wear white shirts to church.

In some churches, shorts and sandals are the typical dress for men in the summer.

In our church, men wearing dress coats with no ties is starting to become a fad.

Does any of this make any difference?

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

My husband wears a tie every Sunday morning, but he did let his suit go by the wayside many years ago.

IMHO, I think it does make a difference -- I hear the sancutary called the auditorium now. I see drinks being brought in.

Does all this go hand-in-hand with treating church like just somewhere to go instead of taking Christ's teaching with us throughout the week and integrating them in ever aspect of our lives?

I'm not sure, but I've got a sneaking suspicion that it does.

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

A tie and suit is my trademark and people wouldn't recognize me without it. I think we should be who we are. Many of my preaching brethren do not wear suits and it really makes no difference at all, but I would feel uncomfortable without it. If a man has a good haircut and shoeshine he will look just fine, of course as long as he has clothes on.:laugh:

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I wear a tie one hour a week (Sunday morning) , and that only out of tradition.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wear a coat and tie. Standing behind the pulpit is a very special place to me.

Having said that the worship service is very special as well. I do not suggest exactly what items of clothing to wear, but I do believe that our dress should reflect our admiration to God. Is what we are wearing our very best? Does our attire show our respect for God or our disrespect?
    Also I dress the same way for every service, sunday morn, sunday night, wed night. For they are all worship to God and carry the same weight. Words like Im just layed back, I like to be casual, is just laziness.

6. Gib

Gib Active Member

I haven't wore a tie in 4 years and have no qualms about it.
    My kids have to wear a tie from time to time for school and
    choose to wear one to church on occasion.

7. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Blessed be the tie that binds.

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I don't understand your judging the motivation of all who do not agree with you without any Bible basis for your view. There are judgemental comments that could be made in response, but they would be of no benefit.

#8 NaasPreacher (C4K), Jun 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2006
  9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

withdraw my post

#9 Brother Bob, Jun 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2006
  10. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

C4K which one of you wears the tie? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :smilewinkgrin:

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Sorry Bob, the comment about laziness is purely and simply a judgement call.

Each is welcome to their own view, but to call a man lazy because he doesn't wear a tie is a judgemental statlement.

12. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

I usually wear a tie during the winter months here in Arizona. During the summer I dont. I dress nice whether in a tie or not. Most of the wearing of ties is out of tradition. Has anyone really thought of how strange we are at times----I mean really a piece of cloth hanging from our necks. How did we get here?:)

Bro Tony

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didnt say the lack of a tie is laziness. You might want to reread my post.

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Perhaps you could further explain your statement my brother?

How are words laziness?

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well lets clear up the accusation first. Then I will be glad to answer your question. Can you find a post where I have said "A man is lazy if he doesnt wear a tie". Please produce the quote.:thumbs:

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have never worn a tie to Church except for weddings. Jesus wore a robe and sandals, and don't you think since He is omniscient He would have know ties (and other modern dress we deem "acceptable") were supposed to be worn in His house? This is nothing more than personal opinion, and no argument can be made from either side that holds any water.

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Nope, thats why I asked for a clarification of your statement about laziness - I clearly misunderstood what you were saying.

Could you clarify it for me please? Apologies for misunderstanding what you wrote.

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I said was actually quite the opposite. But what we should not be doing is coming to church in beach wear that is both revealing and disrespectful, when we have so much better in our closets. The words "casual" and "Layed Back" have become an acceptable excuse to be imodest, and have become an excuse to dress down. The worship service is about reverence and adoration. Its not about us or how we want to do things.

Now if having some sort of dress code appears to some as judgemental then so be it.

19. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Going along with what Web Dog posted, I don't think this should be a point of contention (i.e., "I'm more pleasing to God than you are because I wear a tie to church services.").

If that's the case, then, for example:

(1) I suppose many of our foreign missionaries should be admonished for not wearing ties to the services they conduct on the fields to which God has called them.

(2) Our men in the military service who are deployed to combat areas are not pleasing to God because they don't wear ties to their chapel services.

(3) I guess all those KJV translators are in trouble too. I can't recall seeing any illustrations of them wearing ties.

We can easily paint ourselves into a corner when we use our personal preferences as a means to indicate what pleases God and what doesn't.

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

And a man can show full respect and admiration for God in a nice shirt and trousers, with or without a tie. As a matter of fact I think a man can have respect and admiration for God while wearing jeans and a t-shirt.

Who is the determiner of what it means to "dress down"?