1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Webcasters to Go Silent in Protest of Royalty Rate Increase

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by KenH, Jun 23, 2007.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My favorite station, http://bluegrassradio.org, will be participating. I will miss the station for that day but for the long term good of Internet radio I understand why this needs to be done.

Webcasters to Go Silent in Protest of Royalty Rate Increase

Millions of Internet Radio Listeners Urged to Defend the Future of Net Radio

WASHINGTON D.C.
    - Thousands of U.S. webcasters plan to turn off the music and go silent this Tuesday, June 26, to draw attention to an impending royalty rate increase that, if implemented, would lead to the virtual shutdown of this country's Internet radio industry.

#1 KenH, Jun 23, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2007
  2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Why is this important? If internet radio ceased to exist, we would not be worse off for it. Why don't copyright owners have the right to raise royalties however they wish?

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    For lots of types of music, such as bluegrass, internet radio is the only way to hear a radio station that plays that type of music where most people can hear a station with that format. It is also the only way to expand the number of artists who can be heard due to Big Radio's restrictive playlists.

Here is more info on this subject:

www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oew-healey11jun11,0,1745429.story?coll=la-opinion-center

Those that have the power to set royalty rates can certainly set them at whatever level they want. But in these United States we still have the right to protest actions by public and private entities.

#3 KenH, Jun 23, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2007
  4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pastor Larry, it's a matter of economics. In most cases, webcasters are small, and offer music in formats that you don't typically find on regular radio. They don't get a lot of the advertising business like big firms and radio does, so their funds are limited.

Because they're small, these rate hikes will put undue financial burdens on them, and only the ones that can pay will be able to stay in business.

5. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Isn't that what the market is supposed to do? If you make a product, you can charge people whatever you want to use it.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. And the people affected have a right to protest such actions.

7. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

This is not about individual profit directly. it is about eliminating the competition.

8. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pastor Larry, I don't think I used the word "small" well enough.

This movement to raise these rates is similar to what's happening to small businesses across the country with employee wage hikes and increased business taxes.

The guy who wants to be his own boss and start his own company has to contend with overhead costs that are being dictated by government and "bigger" businesses. The bigger businesses hike the rates because they can still afford to pay them; the small business either has to comply with the rate hikes, or close its doors.

It's not a matter of competition; it's bigger corporations edging out small competitors, and ensuring there is no competition.

9. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

That's life in the marketplace though. Eliminating the competition is a shrewd business move.

As I understand it, the people who own the copyrights set the royalties. So if these people being played on internet radio owned their own copyrights, they could set their own royalties. I really don't see much to complain about here.

10. 2 Timothy2:1-4

I am a capatalist. But business tactics that destroy the small business would destroy this country. Even Capatalism must have restrainsts. Destroying another mans business is not something I see God supporting.

11. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Business is tough. That's what makes it affordable. But the music business is a particular one in which there is the ability for competition. the only way that major labels control royalties is if you sign with them. That's part of the deal. You make trade offs.

Good businesses always seem to find a way to survive.

12. 2 Timothy2:1-4

So businesses that do not last are bad? This is the pie in the sky mentality that the libs are always referring to. Capitalism is the best system but even it can be abused. Much like in this situation.