1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Weddings...

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by PastorSBC1303, Mar 19, 2005.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I have been preparing for a wedding ceremony that I am performing next week, and it got me thinking about the Biblical basis for weddings...

Is there Biblical support for a ceremony we know as a "wedding"?

Is there Biblical support for a Pastor to perform weddings?

Just curious what y'all think...

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not any refs off hand unless you use Christ at the wedding and we would then have Biblical basis for drinking at weddings :)

Not that I am against church weddings, but not sure there is a real mass of reason to have them.

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

That statement is a little exscentric if you know what I mean ...

Genesis (2: 24?)... is one that comes to mind ...

Matthew 19:6 KJV
    Wherefore they are no more twain (Two), but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
    I will add the others that I had been looking at ... later.

In HIM

4. PastorSBC1303

El Guero-- neither of those really get to the point of whether it is Biblical to actually have what we call as a ceremony? And is there any support for a pastor having the authority to marry?

5. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I cant find any biblical support. Same for baptizing.

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Yes ...

No ... well actually yes to that as well. But, I gotta get back to you on it.

7. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

In the Old Testament many times they just "went in unto each other" in the tent...or "layed with each other"(yes folks...sex..the joining of flesh) and they were considered MARRIED both legally and in the eyes of GOD.The point is(and I'd welcome anybody disproving me)that "biblical" marriage is primarily a flesh union between a man and a woman that seals a commitment between them in the eyes of God...and yes...it is SUPPOSED to be for a lifetime.Divorce was NOT in God's original intended plan...but he does allow it under some circumstances...but THAT is another subject.The "ceremony" we practice to marry people with is NOT found in or commanded in the Bible...it is the cultural invention of man.It is not a bad thing...just not a Bible commanded thing.What is commanded is that we be in subjection to the laws of the society we live in (Romans 13:1,2,3).Therefore we should obey the laws of the land and if those laws require a formal legal wedding ceremony...then we should have one.BUT...the flesh union is what consumates the marriage....NOT the ceremony.That is my humble opinion.

Greg Sr.

8. PastorSBC1303

Greg, I have pretty much came to the same opinion. I do not think it is a bad thing at all. I was just curious if I was missing something.

Now I would say that of all the things I do as a pastor, weddings are probably my least favorite....but that is a whole different thread [​IMG] :eek:

9. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Read the book of Ruth--Boaz and Ruth didn't just "hop in the tent" and everyone considered them married.

Tatertot??? No Biblical basis for baptism?????

10. mioque

mioque New Member

"Boaz and Ruth didn't just "hop in the tent" and everyone considered them married."
    "
    Weddings in the Bible are a legal issue, they are contracts. They are not religious ceremonies.
    There are strong sexual overtones to Ruth's actions prior to Boaz arranging their marriage. However in the OT the sexual act does not make a couple married.

11. Rookiepastor

Rookiepastor New Member

Strong sexual overtones, just because Ruth, went to the threshing floor, where Boaz and the other men with their families were sleeping and she simply lay at his feet?

Typically the men and their families would encamp around the hill and the men would sleep in a circle around the grain.

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    God brought Eve to Adam in the Garden and said words of commitment. That sounds like a pattern for us.

Jesus attended the wedding in Cana.

Paul said marriage is "honorable". Shacking up with someone is not.

I'd use all of them.

BTW, much of our wedding traditions come from 1500 (asking "Do you take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband . . ") This was part of the espousal, questions asked of the priest/pastor to young children whose marriage was arranged.

The other marriage vows (Repeat after me: "I Bob . ." ) are from Queen Victoria's plan for her daughter Vicki's wedding 150 years ago.

13. PastorSBC1303

Dr. Bob, thanks...I appreciate the historical information regarding our traditions. I find that very interesting. Again, I do not think our way of doing it is wrong or bad, I was just curious how we got here.

14. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Blackbird, you misunderstood ya sista! I know there are biblical bases for baptism, but why can only the pastor perform a baptism? That's what I meant. [​IMG]

15. mioque

mioque New Member

Rookiepastor
    "she simply lay at his feet?"
    "
    The Hebrew word for feet was also used as a euphemism for genitalia.

16. gopchad

gopchad New Member

If brethren dwell together, and one of them die, and have no child, the wife of the dead shall not marry without unto a stranger: her husband's brother shall go in unto her, and take her to him to wife, and perform the duty of an husband's brother unto her.
    (Deuteronomy 25:5 KJV)

"When brothers live on the same property and one of them dies without a son, the wife of the dead man may not marry a stranger outside the family. Her brother-in-law is to take her as his wife, have sexual relations with her, and perform the duty of a brother-in-law for her.
    (Deuteronomy 25:5 HCSB)

Seems that they would have thought they were married. You have referenced this before and tried to make something "dirty" or perverse out of it. Do you giggle when you read the Song of Solomon too? My advice is to "grow up".

Chad

17. mioque

mioque New Member

"Seems that they would have thought they were married."
    "
    Actually on reading the text it's clear that Ruth makes it look to Boaz that they've 'hopped into the tent' and suggest that they do it once more. Boaz is flattered and tells her that he has the duty to marry her but somebody else has legally a stronger obligation than him. Then he goes out and arranges with that man that Boaz get's the responsibility to marry Ruth.

"Do you giggle when you read the Song of Solomon too?"
    "
    Ofcourse, you don't?
    When a man compares a woman to a horse and he means it as a compliment I find that very funny.

My advice to you Chad is to both grow a sense of humour and a proper sense of perspective.

18. Brownov

Brownov New Member

Greg Perry Sr.
    I've heard the argument about sex being the basis for marriage before and I really only have one problem with it. Joseph took Mary to be his wife and he KNEW HER NOT until the baby (Jesus) was born. How could they be married without having sex? It just doesn't follow. On the other hand, Joseph did follow through on his commitment to Mary and then of course after she had Jesus, he followed through on the physical commitment as well.

19. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Run ...

20. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Yes,

Weddings are biblical & they are cultural. It would follow logically that since there are no descriptions of wedding ceremonies that wedding ceremony followed the cultural norm.

It also follows that the marriage was a covenant between the couples and before God & family.