1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Weight loss

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Gina B, Jun 23, 2001.

1. Joy

Joy New Member

Just my humble opinion here. Gluttoney was not just a sin of over eating. It was a discusting habit of binging and purging for the purpose of eating more and more. ( I would tend to lump some of the modern "eating disorders" in that category, but not necessarily having a donut when a carrot stick is better for you.)

I don't think that is what these women are talking about when they talk about over eating. Although there may be some hidden reasons for eating when you aren't really hungry, most of our eating habits began at early ages and out of ignorance. It takes a great deal of work to change bad habits and make them good habits, including eating more healthfully.

I would never try to lose weight without first consulting a physician, and or a nutritionist who could help you to know what to eat, menu planning, grocery shopping, etc. There really is no easy way. It takes time and effort to eat better. If you are going to lose, you need to balance eating and excercise as well. Most doctors also agree that losing too quickly is not healthy and in fact harmful. It is better to set a long term goal.

It takes time to form habits, both good and bad. It will take time to learn proper nutrition and thus lose weight the best way, but the good news is, it will be for life if it is done correctly.

Drinking shakes and taking pills might be a quick fix, but it does not teach you the good habits of nutrition. Most likely you will put the weight right back on if you go these types of routes.

2. Baptist Mom

Baptist Mom New Member

I want to thank those of who really have encouraged me in this decision about the WDW.
    I agree that the program uses certain passages for their own needs and it is not really Biblical.

Joy I appreciated your response but I do not necessarily agree with you on this subject. I think it is how you eat and not necessarily what you eat. My body will crave for something if it is not getting enough of it. That is where this program I used I really believed was right on the money.

Eat only between the boundaries of hunger and fullness. Now you all can tell me what you think of this...but I think going to the world is just as bad if not worse than going to a person that is or close to being involved in a cult. At least in the WDW they point you to the Bible and show you that your relationship with the Lord is the most important thing not the food or yourself.

I do not agree with going to a nutritionist or what you are eating is the right way to go. I do believe to listen to your body in the way which the Lord created us and eat in accordance to a way that would please Him and to remember that our bodies are a temple of the Holy Spirit and we should treat them that way.

I did look at the other program memtioned and there really are no classes in my area and I am really unsure about spending alot of money on another program which I don't even have.

So I think that if I apply these principles I learned which I do believe are right and take the Bible and apply the Scriptures in their correct context and live through them and not twisting them to fit my own needs that this would be a way to lose weight that would honor the Lord.

Thank you all for your comments and support and I look forward to hearing more thoughts if you have any.

Cyndi :eek:

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

My body craves chocolate pudding frequently.

Thats what I meant, I still have to nbe careful of what I eat. Imagine if I ate chocolate pudding anytime I craved it, as long as I was hungry. No way to loose weight that way.

4. Baptist Mom

Baptist Mom New Member

Not sure I quite agree on that one Katie...I crave icecream frequently and I eat it at least once a day and I lost 50 pounds in 24 weeks doing it that way. As long as it is stomach hunger and not head hunger you will be ok. Your body will also crave what it really needs.

Cyndi ;)

5. Joy

Joy New Member

I think we actually agree more than you realized. Perhaps in my efforts to be brief :D ha ha, I wasn't all that clear.

Part of nutrition is knowing the food pyramid guide and how to use it. Those goodies that we all crave, like the donuts I mentioned before, aren't sinful. When you eat them in moderation, they are woooonderful! :D Some people just need help with remembering to eat those veggies and other groups as well. I tend to leave out my grains, and that just kills my nutrition. Some people tend to eat too many grains, or too many fats, which are to be used more sparingly.

By going to a nutritionist or a doctor, they can help you learn how to use the pyramid, and what you may be lacking in or overdoing on. A balanced way of eating yields not only good nutrition, but allows for some sweets and fats while maintaining a healthy body weight.

If you need to cut out a portion of calories in order to lose some weight, a doctor can tell you which ones are right for your body without sacrificing nutrition and healthy eating habits.

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

Cyndi, lost 24 pounds in the 6 weeks. Wouldn't have done it eating whatever I wanted. Sweets have to be eaten in moderation. I don't care what Gwen says. She gives no resourse information for what she teaches about 'nutrition', even when asked for it she won't tell anything. She has made this stuff up to make more money ( I mean $103. for her 12 week program, per person?), she wants to tell people what they want to hear, what over weight person doesn't want to be told they can eat whatever they like the taste of? Meaning you don't have to eat vegetables, eat all the fat and sugar you want. How about a plate of fat for supper tonight. Not for me. According to Gwen theres no such thing as high cholesterol. And you can't prove by me that fat doesn't make you put on weight,thats one way I got where I am now. When I was younger I ate all the fatty and sweet foods I wanted.

But some people don't like good nutrition. I don't know about anyone else but my body needs vitiamns from my food. Gwen says you can't take vitamins, so a person has to get them somewhere, the food we eat. That make good nutrition just wise eating. The bible verses Gwen uses to say that good nutritional ways of eating are bad, are twisted, they don't mean what she says they do. They are talking about the jewish dietry laws (remember, not by law, but by grace.) And the other one is about God's faithfulness to provide for us, not a free for eating whatever like she says.

7. Baptist Mom

Baptist Mom New Member

I was in no way standing up for the WDW in fact I disagree with what Gwen believes in except I do agree with her in one area.
    We should focus on the Lord and not the food and the weight. We should not be thinking about what we should eat but how much. The WDW uses the Bible to conquer a stronghold I think they are just applying to fit the need they are using it for. We do the same thing with the Old Testament it is not written for us but we apply it to our lives.

But the principles of eating between hunger and fullness I think are Biblical. Why did the Lord allow for us to have a hunger pain and a growl. I think this kind of theory of eating is right on the money and the Bible never says anything about not eating this or that.

I just would rather focus on my relationship with the Lord and not on what I should and should not eat. My relationship with Him is much more important than thinking about food and my weight.

You know I think that we also should be careful about judging the WD program. I don't agree with any of its beliefs and would never be caught up in them by the grace of God. Yes, we need to warn people about it but we should be praying for it that it would lead any others astray and as far as Gwen twisting Scripture I think we need to take a hard careful look at it. I know several people that have applied the Bible to conquer other strongholds in their lives and they applied the Bible to help them to conquer a stronghold it was just an application it was not necessarily exactly what was meant in the Scripture. For example for things like smoking and depression and these are wonderful Christian people who belong to independant Baptist churches and they conquered their strongholds by doing this.

I am going to start a new topic on this but I don't know if that is necessarily wrong.

I love you all and appreciate your comments and I in no way have taken offense to them and when I respond I really do it in love.

God bless.
    Cyndi :rolleyes:

8. Joy

Joy New Member

Certainly your relationship with the Lord is more important than what shape your body is or how much it weighs, but God also created us to be inteligent beings and learn as we grow. He gave scientists the ability to understand nutrition and weight loss. I think we all agree that a more normal body weight is more healthy, and a balanced diet helps control this and the nutrtion we need to be healthy.

There are hundreds of fad diets out there that do work, but only temporarily. I wasn't particularly singling out one.

Our personal relationship with Jesus Christ is what is most important, and we don't need to obsess, but the Bible also tells us that our bodies are the temple of the Holy Ghost. How we treat them, including what and how much we put into them is important to God.

9. Baptist Mom

Baptist Mom New Member

Joy,

I agree with you. I was just saying that it is not necessarily what we eat but how often and how much.

I was just trying to find a balance because this program has worked for me and so many others. I know many who from doing the program no longer have heart problems or diabetics who don't have to take medicine or pills any longer to control their health situation. See from doing this program you eat very small amounts of food and that will not hurt your body. These kind of eating habits make so much sense to me.

Katie had said that she was troubled by this program because Gwen had said that her program is in the Bible. Well I think it is very Biblical to listen to our bodies the way the Lord created them. He made those hunger pains and growls for a reason.

But Katie also said that she said she does not believe in the trinity. I know she personally believes that but tell me where in the program that she has said that. I have been doing this program for three years and have never hear her bring in her own personal views.

I really have not heard her twist Scripture just apply it to this stronghold. I think we all have applied Scripture to our lives in a way that it was not written for. As long as we don't use the application as solid truth or doctrine. It is something we need to be very careful of.

My desire is to use the principles in the program with the Word of God and study the Bible literally and then apply God's Word to my life in this area and in other areas to draw closer to the Lord.

I am not involved in any online program or a group I am not encouraging others to use the program in fact I would discourage it. I know exactly what she believes and I would even go as far to say that she may be trying to draw those who are seeking the truth away to this kind of cult thinking. I am not using her videos or audio tapes any longer just the principles I learned from the program and God's Word.

Thank you all for your comments I do appreciate them.

Cyndi [​IMG]

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

Cyndi,
    I have been going back over the videos. In sessios two, she aludes to her belief that Jesus and God are not one. I meant to keep track of the time on each tape, but I was watching with my husband, who was getting up set when I stoped the tape backed up to find the right time, so I only have the exact time on some of them. When I am done with this on all the tapes I have (sessiosns 1-6) I'll be back to tell you everything I found.
    If you will look up these sites that list Gwen's scripture twisting, among other things. It's not just me It's aproven fact.
    The fact that she does not believe in the trinity shows she does not understand scripture. The verses she uses to try and disprove the trinity shows she is very skilled at scripture twisting.

http://www.equip.org/free/DS570.htm http://www.midwestoutreach.org/gwen2.htm http://www.gospelcom.net/apologeticsindex/s35.html http://www.hoyweb.com/faq/WDW.htm http://www.sbclife.org/Articles/2000/11/Sla7.asp

===""People don't care about this," Shamblin told Christianity Today. "They don't care about the Trinity. This is going to pass. What the women want is weight loss. They care about their bodies being a temple and their lives turned over to the Lord. That's what my ministry is about."===

===The Trinity was a message formed in a society that mistakenly believed in polytheism and it was done in an attempt to make sure no one mistakenly believed that Christians worshipped several Gods. ===

====Shamblin both spiritualizes the use of food by misapplying passages of Scripture having nothing to do with diet and pulls passages out of context that do pertain to food. For instance, within the context of the suffering (a term she sees as synonymous with self-denial) one might experience for putting God before food, she uses 1 Peter 4:12-13 (Weigh Down Diet, 177). In context, however, “painful trial” and “suffering” reference the persecution many Christians will have to endure for their faith, called “the sufferings of Christ.”======

==== Shamblin likewise uses Matthew 6:25 out of context. “So Scriptures such as ‘Do not worry about what you eat or drink’ was [sic] long forgotten and replaced with an obsession of worry about missing nutrients and about our human body and its needs” (Weigh Down Diet, 23). Her statement is a half-truth. Matthew 6:25 has nothing to do with concern about the “nutrients” in the food we eat, and everything to do with “being unduly concerned about the means of sustaining life, namely, food and drink” (William Hendriksen, New Testament Commentary: The Gospel of Matthew [Grand Rapids: Baker Book House, 1953], 349)=====

What you do with this information is up to you. But once I found these things out I had to judge the scripture and God more inportant then my opinion. The basic principles are good, eat less, finding out how much I really require, instead of desire. Seeking God and His strength.

But I can't suport anyone who twists scripture, then says I won't care, because I am more interested in myself, and weight loss(notice she says I and you will put more attention and emphsis on ourselves, isn't that one thing she is supose to be teaching us not to do.)
    But I am always of the opinion, that once I know, what am I going to do with it.
    I can go with God, or I can go with myself.

[ July 01, 2001: Message edited by: katie ]

11. MagicDar

MagicDar New Member

Ok, I realize I am not baptist, but this particular subject is very dear to me especially right now. I have lost nearly 40 pounds within about a 5 month period. I have used metabolite and slim fast to mearly help me, but also a healthy diet of watching my intake of sugar goodies, and bread as bread is a big gainer. I agree that taking pills and shakes alone might make you go back to being heavy after your off of them, however if you use them as a helper and not the main way it can actually help. Moderation I believe is also a good key in dieting, this means you don't have to keep yourself from eating the foods you most enjoy but simply don't pig on them. Loosing is one of the hardest things to do, and let me tell you it took EVERYTHING within me (meaning God) to discipline myself to do this.

I also bought the low fat candy bars which actually are very good to eat. Something else to think about is....when you want to eat extra food try doing something that you really enjoy like perhaps a hobby or walking or something to this effect to get your mind off of eating and onto something else.

Even though I am not baptist, would it be possible for me to communicate on the weight loss subject in this forum? I would really appreciate it...I actually have some past with this and would love to share it.

Thanks!!-Dar

12. Joy

Joy New Member

Dar, as long as doctrine isn't introduced, I see no problem. Thanks for asking :D

13. MagicDar

MagicDar New Member

Oh, no doctrine will not be mentioned in my weight loss posting.

About a year ago I had such a low self confidence problem, I was at 180 pounds and I knew my husband was not attracted to me since having our son. I kept trying to diet all the time but within about two weeks it would always go down the drain and I would gain it all back. I was so depressed and all that was on my mind 24/7 was how I looked.

I was sitting in the tub one night (in a room surrounded by mirrors) looking at my body and thinking how fat I felt and looked and that is when God grabbed my heart and ears and made me realize that I was focusing so much on myself and my appearance that I took my focus off of him and his purpose and plan for who he wanted me to be. At that point I knew I needed to let go of ME and start looking at myself thru the eyes of God and when I did that I saw the most beautiful amazing child of God with potential to do anything I set my mind to as long as I was doing it thru Christ.

I didn't start to loose weight until a year later, I had to love who God created me to be and appreciate that and then I was able to discipline myself to loose the weight, but I wasn't doing it for anyone but God and me no one else ..not even for my husband, and that is not to knock down submission but to know that my husband was not the reason because he is human and can say hurtful things at times but God won't ever let me down.

So...to ALL you women who are becoming depressed about how you look..STOP IT!!!!
    Go to the mirror and look and see for the first time who God sees. Remember, you can do all things thru Christ who strengthens you. Blessings to you and to your efforts in shedding the pounds. ;) -dar

14. Baptist Mom

Baptist Mom New Member

I am not depressed at all by my weight but I really have a problem with "worldly diets". I think we need to concentrate more on our relationship with the Lord and not think about ourselves or the food. That is what these worldly diets do.

I have been concentrating on my relationship with the Lord and have lost 50 pounds in 24 weeks and I have drawn closer to the Lord. I use my Bible and my stomach to guide me. The Lord is closer to me more than ever. So what could be more important than that. I personally never do a program that focused on the food but if the Lord has not led you to do otherwise I can not stand in the way of the Lord's will for your life.

Cyndi

15. MagicDar

MagicDar New Member

Actually, the diet I'm on is not a set form of something I must follow or think...I just basically found a natural herbal pill and slim fast and I take them...for me its not a matter of taking focus off of food and on Jesus because my focus wasn't on food as opposed to Christ...but on myself as opposed to Christ. I don't have a problem with any diet, because its up to us to stay focused on Jesus so use whatever program works for you and see it work.

My comment about depression was mearly directed to any woman who might be going thru it.-dar :D

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

17. upstart

upstart New Member

Hi! I am new. I read A book I got from the library. It is by Marilu Henner "10 Step to a Makeover." She explains how eating additives, preservatives, caffeine, Dairy, and sugar ruin your body. It is practically becoming a vegetarian. My husband and i tried this for three weeks and felt 100% better. Then we slacked off for the holidays and we felt sick. My husband was also getting headaches whiched stopped after changing our eating habits. We went to a Whole Foods store and bought all organic product. We stopped eating dairy caffeine and we are working on not eating meats and sugar. I would recommend you to read her book. It changed my life. You can get her book aat the library or look at her web site which is "www.marilu.com."
    I am open to any comments.

Rosa [​IMG]